Blah blah
05-03-2013, 06:03 PM
Looking very yellow... !

bluestoesonnose
05-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Love that bike

scrapps
05-03-2013, 06:28 PM
Looking very good. I like the black with the yellow and also the low pipes.
Nice work.

Wasta
05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks peeps, I still have to fit the ride hight raisers and find some way of dissipating the heat from around the pan.

bluestoesonnose
05-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Easiest way with the pan is to cut a hole in it around the exhaust pipe under the engine (you'd hardly see it) and may be a hole in the front with some mesh in it.

buffalo4
05-03-2013, 07:55 PM
Looking Good mate

Wasta
05-03-2013, 08:53 PM
I like the mesh idea

gary tompkins
05-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Check clearance on the down pipes and collector too.

Mine burnt a hole in the bottom of it's Imola pan during one extremely rare hot summer... when it actually managed not to pi55 down with rain for 3 months

utopia
05-03-2013, 10:18 PM
That looks really nice now.
The slimmer BOS cans look much more in proportion to the rest of the bike than the visually heavy std cans.
And they expose a little more of the lovely ally swingarm too.
I considered BOS cans for my 750 actually, and if memory serves the performance data on them, while not staggering, is at least smooth and bottom-end focused, which is as it should be in my opinion.

I almost suggested that you polish up the stainless bits just before the cans, but actually the well browned look quite suits the bike.

One thing I would suggest though, is that the headlight brackets would look better black. Then the line of the ally forks would be more emphasized.
I only mention it because I'm just about to fit a set of carbon brackets (thanks again Stu) to my bike, so its been on my mind lately.

And the bellypan.....
Firstly, it looks really good, and probably does a pretty good job at keeping the grit off the casings too.
Purely a subjective view rather than a tech analysis, but I had a very similar pan on my bike and I felt that it retained the heat from the front exhaust quite seriously.
In the summertime, when I stopped at traffic lights etc, great waves of heat would envelop me and I often felt that it would be best to kill the engine if I knew there was a long wait 'til the lights changed.
My pan had mesh at the front, but that has virtually zero effectiveness at the critical moment, ie when the bike isn't moving forward.
And even worse, all that heat goes straight up to the oil cooler, which effectively then becomes an oil heater to some extent.
It is a nice looking pan though....nicer than the one I had, I think.
If it was my bike, I'd be looking to expose as much of the exhaust headers as possible.
Cutting the bottom to expose the pipe might not reduce the pan's grit-shielding properties very much at all, as the pipe will cover the gap anyway.
And even though you might think that, since heat rises, then cutting the lower bit won't help much, I actually think that it will create a very valuable upward convection path, as well as allowing radiative heat loss downward too. In short, I think that cutting the base should work well.
Even just a few big holes perhaps...?
And maybe mesh at the front too, if you fancy it, but that would be second on my list. In fact I might just drill a few holes there too, and leave them open.
I'm babbling here really, as it sounds like you already have this pretty much covered, but you never know when a random comment might end up being helpful, and anyway I was waiting for the kettle to boil.

I'm liking the simple polished clutch cover very much, and the red innards against the generally dark engine.
Not so sure about the tricolore stickers though, to be honest. Nice idea, but somehow the shape and proportions are wrong, to my eye. I believe that ebay does hold some alternative options though.

Some nice, black anodised rearsets would suit it.

Kettle's boiled .....its carbon headlamp bracket fitting for me now.

Wasta
06-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the input Utopia any comments are more than welcome. The Tricolore stickers were on the bike when I bought it, strangely, until you mentioned them I hadn't really paid them any attention, you are right though they are way to big and the wrong shape, could be my next project while back in Kuwait.
Again, you're right about the headlamp bracket, it needs to be black.

The pan is a bit of a challenge, now it's fitted I can see how much heat it's trapping while stationary. I'm thinking quiet a radical mauling with a dremmel to the underside is the answer, it is solid, almost like a catch tray for a race bike, a channel may be the answer.

AmoK
06-03-2013, 10:32 AM
I love the look! I was considering the same style bellypan for my M900 but got cold feet about it being too massive, so I ordered the monza style.. Now seeing that thing on your bike its not too big, not at all, it looks just great.
+1 on the brackets and removing the sticker
I thought that the original blinkers were looking little too bulky and ordered more sleek ones on ebay.
This gives me some good ideas what direction to go to with my Monster. Wouldn't mind you posting some more pictures. =)

fuelline
06-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Fitted the BOS cans, check

Fitted bellypan, check

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/outkast_photo/DSC_0182_zps9e08a6d0.jpg

Looking good mate, I did'nt know you were on here but should have guessed. :)

Wasta
07-03-2013, 08:01 PM
For Amok

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/outkast_photo/DSC_0183_zpsb69492b3.jpg

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/outkast_photo/DSC_0177_zpsa0437473.jpg

Wasta
07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Typically as I put the bike away today I found the trip reset winder on the floor of the shed, I have no idea how it came off. Is this repairable or do I need another clock?

I'm also thinking of some rearsets, any recommendations on this score, I would like them to be road going so have mounts for brake switch etc.

bluestoesonnose
08-03-2013, 05:38 AM
You could always go for a more racey set and fit the brake light switch on the master cylinder as some later Monsters seem to have

Nottsbiker
08-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Looks good mate.

If it was mine I'd have the swingarm, footrests and clutch cover black ;)

utopia
08-03-2013, 12:25 PM
The std mechanical brakelight switch is a bit mickey mouse anyway, and a hydraulic switch may prove to be more reliable.
The main issue may be whether or not you need pillion pegs.
If you don't, then Race Supplies Direct do some which look to be a neat and cost-effective option, and seem to be quite popular for old-style monsters.

fuelline
11-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Or SES rearsets I'm using those and they are solid. About £160 for a set.
I've used and snapped two sets of RSD's, well one left one right in seperate off's so not impressed how they held up. I thought they were quite flexible on the bike also.

Marsh...
11-03-2013, 08:32 PM
The bike looks grand mate, can I ask where the bellypan was purchased from?

Cheers n regards Marsh

Dukedesmo
11-03-2013, 08:52 PM
The std mechanical brakelight switch is a bit mickey mouse anyway, and a hydraulic switch may prove to be more reliable.

Only downside of a hydraulic switch is they need a certain pressure to operate, I have one on my 916 front brake and under gentle braking it doesn't always activate or activates later than ideal.

That said my Monster rear brake has a pressure switch brake light but I don't do a lot of rear braking and would mostly have the fronts on aswell if I was so not really an issue for me.

Dukedesmo
11-03-2013, 08:55 PM
Typically as I put the bike away today I found the trip reset winder on the floor of the shed, I have no idea how it came off. Is this repairable or do I need another clock?

Trip reset winder should be held in with a screw, although that's probably lost now but should be easily replaced.

Nice bike BTW. :thumbsup:

Wasta
12-03-2013, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the comments,
The belly pan was an ebay find, I think.

The search for rearsets begins...

Wasta
01-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Well, I'm home in a few weeks so it's time to look for rear sets, heat shield and a dremmel. The rear will be jacked up and the front raised a little. I also need to get the headlamp bracket painted black.

I'm also going to Germany for a week with my wife on the Beemer. Quiet a busy R&R for me.

I'm also available for any rideouts/ meets going in the North East from the 19th May to the 6th June minus the half term holidays when I will be Barhnstorming.

cactus
01-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Hi, like the bike although I'm not too big on tail chops. I have a monza style bellypan fitted to my M900which doesn't funnell up too much heat on a warm day. I also have rear sets fitted, I've no idea what make they are but they raise my feet too and along with risers and renthol bars give a great up and at 'em riding style. :)

Wasta
01-05-2013, 04:32 PM
I was thinking about some flat Renthals as well, I've ordered some heat reflecive stuff from ebay and found a nice picture of a cut away bellypan, so that can act as a guide for my cut outs, I'm going to leaving a strip across the pan as a brace but open it up quiet a lot then line it with the heat pad.

Wasta
24-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Well, I'm back home for a few weeks. The weather is terrible, not really been out on any bike that much.

I took the Monster for a service and MOT yesterday, it sailed through so all good there.
I did get the Dremmel out earlier in the week to open up the bellypan, I then lined it with 7mm thick heat reflective liner. Stupidly I didn't take any pics and it's back on the bike now!! Good to report the mod works, I took it for a ride yesterday and there was on smell of cooking fibreglass.

I still have to fit the rear hight lifters, going to have to ait for a dry day though.

Edit to add;

I also modded the airbox while I had the Dremmel out, I could hear the induction raw on my little jaunt last night...Nice ;-)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/outkast_photo/IMG_20130523_184446_zps22596d7f.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/outkast_photo/media/IMG_20130523_184446_zps22596d7f.jpg.html)

Wasta
07-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Well, I've raised the rear by an inch, replaced the roses and the steering has improved no end, much sharper than before, holds a tighter line etc.
I was supprised that I didn't need to alter the front any, I was sort of expecting the front to be very flighty, but none of it.

Nottsbiker
07-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Looks nice mate.

BTW bit of Nitro-Mors / BBQ paint will tidy up that master cylinder cap ;)

Wasta
07-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Good point

Wasta
10-06-2013, 06:29 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/outkast_photo/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/964931_4944219605655_1903816406_o.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/outkast_photo/media/Facebook/Mobile%20Uploads/964931_4944219605655_1903816406_o.jpg.html)

As it stands now, blatent picture whoring

Dirty
10-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Very nice looking. Did you do the tail?

Wasta
10-06-2013, 01:18 PM
No, the previous owner chopped it when it was rebuilt. I was going to chop it if I bought one with it on.

m40uke
10-06-2013, 03:51 PM
looks stunning,

wheres the belly pan from, ild like on for mine and get a gp style exhaust, then i can get rid of the qd exhaust and the little carbon thing on the front

PhilH67
10-06-2013, 03:59 PM
looks stunning,

wheres the belly pan from, ild like on for mine and get a gp style exhaust, then i can get rid of the qd exhaust and the little carbon thing on the front

and if you do I may be interested in your qd exhaust if it's right and will fit my 2007 S4R Testastretta...

Wasta
10-06-2013, 04:26 PM
The pan came from ebay, don't really know anything else about it. Sorry.

m40uke
10-06-2013, 05:12 PM
its not that old, its on my s4r, but mines only a 54 plate tho

I just love the look of this bike

Dirty
10-06-2013, 11:05 PM
No, the previous owner chopped it when it was rebuilt. I was going to chop it if I bought one with it on.

Any chance of some pics of the bracketry etc? Mines chopped already but still has some of the tea tray. I,m about to get rid of it all and am harvesting ideas :)

Wasta
11-06-2013, 04:57 AM
I would love to but, I'm in Kuwait until October, can you wait? lol

Dirty
11-06-2013, 01:34 PM
I would love to but, I'm in Kuwait until October, can you wait? lol

Haha, probably not. Will be a comparison exercise hopefully by then so should be interesting still.

m40uke
11-06-2013, 03:21 PM
Dirty

Mines been chopped at the back if you need to see anything.

Pics on here

Dirty
11-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Dirty

Mines been chopped at the back if you need to see anything.

Pics on here

Thanks. I had a look. Love the swept up back effect, in fact I think I have just decided what my next Monster will be!

I think your frame is so different to mine though that there won't be any crossover. Shame because I'd love to have the back of mine pointing upwards!

I've got a fair idea of how I'm going to arrange the brackets etc but that said it's always good to see solutions to similar problems so if you want to throw a few pics of what's underneath on your thread (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=46992) I wouldn't mind having a look.