Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Looking very yellow... !
Old 05-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
bluestoesonnose

Love that bike
Old 05-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
scrapps

Looking very good. I like the black with the yellow and also the low pipes.
Nice work.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Wasta

Bike: M900
Thanks peeps, I still have to fit the ride hight raisers and find some way of dissipating the heat from around the pan.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
bluestoesonnose

Easiest way with the pan is to cut a hole in it around the exhaust pipe under the engine (you'd hardly see it) and may be a hole in the front with some mesh in it.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #7
buffalo4

Looking Good mate
Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
Wasta

I like the mesh idea
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Check clearance on the down pipes and collector too.

Mine burnt a hole in the bottom of it's Imola pan during one extremely rare hot summer... when it actually managed not to pi55 down with rain for 3 months
Old 05-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
That looks really nice now.
The slimmer BOS cans look much more in proportion to the rest of the bike than the visually heavy std cans.
And they expose a little more of the lovely ally swingarm too.
I considered BOS cans for my 750 actually, and if memory serves the performance data on them, while not staggering, is at least smooth and bottom-end focused, which is as it should be in my opinion.

I almost suggested that you polish up the stainless bits just before the cans, but actually the well browned look quite suits the bike.

One thing I would suggest though, is that the headlight brackets would look better black. Then the line of the ally forks would be more emphasized.
I only mention it because I'm just about to fit a set of carbon brackets (thanks again Stu) to my bike, so its been on my mind lately.

And the bellypan.....
Firstly, it looks really good, and probably does a pretty good job at keeping the grit off the casings too.
Purely a subjective view rather than a tech analysis, but I had a very similar pan on my bike and I felt that it retained the heat from the front exhaust quite seriously.
In the summertime, when I stopped at traffic lights etc, great waves of heat would envelop me and I often felt that it would be best to kill the engine if I knew there was a long wait 'til the lights changed.
My pan had mesh at the front, but that has virtually zero effectiveness at the critical moment, ie when the bike isn't moving forward.
And even worse, all that heat goes straight up to the oil cooler, which effectively then becomes an oil heater to some extent.
It is a nice looking pan though....nicer than the one I had, I think.
If it was my bike, I'd be looking to expose as much of the exhaust headers as possible.
Cutting the bottom to expose the pipe might not reduce the pan's grit-shielding properties very much at all, as the pipe will cover the gap anyway.
And even though you might think that, since heat rises, then cutting the lower bit won't help much, I actually think that it will create a very valuable upward convection path, as well as allowing radiative heat loss downward too. In short, I think that cutting the base should work well.
Even just a few big holes perhaps...?
And maybe mesh at the front too, if you fancy it, but that would be second on my list. In fact I might just drill a few holes there too, and leave them open.
I'm babbling here really, as it sounds like you already have this pretty much covered, but you never know when a random comment might end up being helpful, and anyway I was waiting for the kettle to boil.

I'm liking the simple polished clutch cover very much, and the red innards against the generally dark engine.
Not so sure about the tricolore stickers though, to be honest. Nice idea, but somehow the shape and proportions are wrong, to my eye. I believe that ebay does hold some alternative options though.

Some nice, black anodised rearsets would suit it.

Kettle's boiled .....its carbon headlamp bracket fitting for me now.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Wasta

Thanks for the input Utopia any comments are more than welcome. The Tricolore stickers were on the bike when I bought it, strangely, until you mentioned them I hadn't really paid them any attention, you are right though they are way to big and the wrong shape, could be my next project while back in Kuwait.
Again, you're right about the headlamp bracket, it needs to be black.

The pan is a bit of a challenge, now it's fitted I can see how much heat it's trapping while stationary. I'm thinking quiet a radical mauling with a dremmel to the underside is the answer, it is solid, almost like a catch tray for a race bike, a channel may be the answer.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
AmoK

I love the look! I was considering the same style bellypan for my M900 but got cold feet about it being too massive, so I ordered the monza style.. Now seeing that thing on your bike its not too big, not at all, it looks just great.
+1 on the brackets and removing the sticker
I thought that the original blinkers were looking little too bulky and ordered more sleek ones on ebay.
This gives me some good ideas what direction to go to with my Monster. Wouldn't mind you posting some more pictures. =)
Old 06-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
fuelline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasta View Post
Fitted the BOS cans, check

Fitted bellypan, check

Looking good mate, I did'nt know you were on here but should have guessed.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #14
Wasta

For Amok

Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
Wasta

Typically as I put the bike away today I found the trip reset winder on the floor of the shed, I have no idea how it came off. Is this repairable or do I need another clock?

I'm also thinking of some rearsets, any recommendations on this score, I would like them to be road going so have mounts for brake switch etc.