PDA

View Full Version : S4 oil leaks, anybody got/had any?

br1an
11-09-2003, 08:35 PM
I'm booking my bike in at Woods next week for a persistent engine oil leak around the sprocket area, has anybody else had this on a S4 and had it fixed?

I know claicerrig and somebody else had the same problem and clai's bikes still not fixed after a couple of atempts , so did anyone manage a permanent cure?

Thanks,

Brian.:cool:

br1an
12-09-2003, 10:19 AM
bump?

spacemonkey
12-09-2003, 09:08 PM
My 900 has a 'leak' around the sprocket area and first thoughts were aimed at the timing cover gasket, but now I think it was just an over zealous chain oiler. I've just added the controller and only time will tell...

spacemonkey
12-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Oh, two more thoughts:
First, is the clutch slave leaking? When I had this it 'looked' like oil leaking from around the sprocket.
Second, are you sure the chain isn't too tight? When my Yamaha DTR had a oil leak it was just the chain being too tight and pulling the gearbox/sprocket output shaft and thus allowing oil past the oil seal.

Mental nutrition...

claicerrig
15-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Space
1) That is the first thing the delear chaged on mine.It has still got the leak
2) When i had a look it seems to be leaking from one of the bolt threads
3) Do monster`s suffer from execess crankcase pressure which could force the oil out ?

br1an
14-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Do any of you other S4 owners have oil leaks?

It would be really helpfull to me if I knew what problems other people have had and got sorted as I'm starting to get p****d off with taking an almost new bike in to get sorted.

Thanks

Brian.

superlight3
14-10-2003, 02:41 PM
The S4 series engine is notorious for an oil leak at the base gasget of the rear head/barrel.

I've done a few which mainly involves taking the barrel off and lapping the face of the cases and re-sealing the thin gasget.

Odd how it doesn't seem to affect the ST4 series even though they share the same engine. :confused:

Not heard of the sprocket leak before, anything going on down there is usually down to too tight a chain tugging on the output shaft.

Cheers.

Lee.

http://www.monstershop-ducati.co.uk

br1an
14-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks for that superlight3

They replaced the clutch pushrod seals the last time it was in.

I'm just wondering what else can be done if these are replaced and it still does'nt cure the leak?

bry...

Desmodue
15-10-2003, 12:35 AM
Hi Bry,

Sad to hear about your on-going problem, as it spoiling a great bike,

This is just a thought, take it or leave it,

If, and it is an if, the chain has been too tight at some stage, the rubber lip of the oil seal is capable of grooving the output shaft in one particular point,

Renewing the oil seal will not cure the fault, because the lip of the new seal ends up in exactly the same place, ie in the groove,

The remedy is either a new shaft and seal, or to fit a 'spacer' in front of the seal, so that the lip registers on a full diameter unmarked portion of shaft,

The 'spacer' only has to be a couple of mil to effect the cure

McMONSTRO
15-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Mine seems to have the leak at the base of the back cylinder too! Nothing too much but its there! A squirt of brake cleaner removes it every 3-400 miles. I guess Ducati are aware of it so hopefully Ill get it fixed under warranty at the 6k service which will be next year now. The other thing I notice is black fluid in the clutch master cylinder! works fine but I'm sure it shouldnt be that colour! Any one else had this?

McMonstro

peteS4
15-10-2003, 08:42 PM
i have an 02 S4 and so far no leaks !!!!!! what year bikes are you talking about, fingers crossed they sorted it out !!!!!!

RZ500
16-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by McMONSTRO
Mine seems to have the leak at the base of the back cylinder too! Nothing too much but its there! A squirt of brake cleaner removes it every 3-400 miles. I guess Ducati are aware of it so hopefully Ill get it fixed under warranty at the 6k service which will be next year now. The other thing I notice is black fluid in the clutch master cylinder! works fine but I'm sure it shouldnt be that colour! Any one else had this?

McMonstro

Very early 2002 S4 in Melbourne, Australia here.

Had rear cylinder base oil leak fixed at 1000K service, still good at 7000k.

Had battery leak acid on top head and rocker cover. Replacements arrived a few weeks ago, yet to take in to fit.

Clutch fluid is black.

Little hose from container to top of master cylinder sweats.

I am pretty sure I don't have an oil leak but a slave cylinder leaking.

oh, I forgot. Bike stalls at random, is this a known problem, what is possible cause/fix?

Engine temp hit 105C and fans did not cut in, is this normal?

Proud owner, but getting a bit upset with a brand new bike with so many warranty claims!

br1an
16-10-2003, 10:41 AM
RZ500 do you not have any "lemon laws" similar to they have in the USA?

The problem that you had with the battery acid seems to be a very common one in the USA if you look on their forums. I personally have not heard of this happening in the UK as it must be a problem were temps get up and over 40c.

How far do you have to go to get your nearest dealer?

Hope you get sorted.:)

Bry...:cool:

PaulS
16-10-2003, 12:58 PM
My 02 S4 developed the leaky rear cylinder base gasket problem at around 1500 miles. Fixed under warranty by Bob Hill's and not recurred so far at 4600 miles. The only other problem I've had is with the oil pressure switch down near the oil filler. After I washed the bike for the first time the oil warning light stayed on after starting the engine which obviously freaked me out. Apparently these switches are very sensitive to moisture in the oil and this is a common problem. How water from washing gets in the oil is a mystery to me and a bit of a concern. I was only using a normal garden hosepipe and took care to avoid spraying the electrics and the air filter housing. Got the switch replaced under warranty but the same happened to the new switch the next time I washed the bike.

Desmodue
17-10-2003, 12:23 AM
Hi paul,

The water 'creeps' into the switch from the outside !

Try cleaning it up, make sure you drive out all the moisture, then wrap some insulating tape around the cable end.

PaulS
17-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the tips but I've already tried that. Took the switch off the bike and left it indoors overnight and filled the socket where the plug goes in with vaseline but to no avail. Have put new insulating tape round the plug as the original stuff is the porous cloth type. Might try taking the switch off again and leaving it on a radiator now the central heating's back on! I'll probably end up getting another new switch (under warranty I hope). Perhaps I'll swap the switch for a suitably sized bolt or plug whilst I wash the bike in future.

dennis
05-11-2003, 12:43 PM
Brian,

No leaks on my S4 after 16,000 miles hard use, but chain lube oil does build up around the front sprocket and begins to leak out over the side stand switch.

claicerrig
05-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Mines back in again for the same leak Bri :(

br1an
05-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Clai

You should'nt stand for it. Why don't you contact Ducati UK and say you're not happy.

When does your warranty run out?

Bry...:)

claicerrig
01-12-2003, 08:09 AM
Mine has been in twice

1st they have replaced the clutch slave cylinder and seals.
2nd they have replaced the pushrod and the seals.

Have just ridden it home and parked up next day a leakage of oil down the side stand to cover an area the size of a saucer

Any one any ideas as to what to do next?

Cheers Clai

Mr Cake
01-12-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by PaulS
After I washed the bike for the first time the oil warning light stayed on after starting the engine which obviously freaked me out. Apparently these switches are very sensitive to moisture in the oil and this is a common problem.

This happend to me the first time I washed my M750. It never did it again after that.

Dave

johnypebs
25-12-2003, 07:09 PM
My old '98 Thunderbird sport had the same disease. I changed the oil pressure switch twice but it still made the oil light glow when wet, especially if left on the sidestand in the rain. Every bodge known to man tried but no joy, switch design pants, just keep riding.
1500 miles on my '02 S4 now, can't wait for my oil leak.

Garry Hogan
26-12-2003, 04:15 PM
Oil leaking from the base gasket on the rear cylinder seems to be a fairly common fault, not only did my freinds S4 "go", but my '02 750's went as well! Both fixed under warranty, both went at 5000 miles. Dealer ( Daytona ) said that it was a dodgy base gasket/cement combination. Mine got steadily worse to the point of oil getting on my back tyre - so don't ignore it for to long!!

Mr Cake
26-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Garry Hogan
Oil leaking from the base gasket on the rear cylinder seems to be a fairly common fault, not only did my freinds S4 "go", but my '02 750's went as well! Both fixed under warranty, both went at 5000 miles. Dealer ( Daytona ) said that it was a dodgy base gasket/cement combination. Mine got steadily worse to the point of oil getting on my back tyre - so don't ignore it for to long!!

Does the oil appear near the spark plug area of the rear cylinder? If so, I have the same problem. I've nothing of it until now.

Dave

Bunny
26-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Nope, the oil is where the barrel joins the crankcases.Mine's leaking - again, to be done under warranty in January

claicerrig
27-12-2003, 10:19 PM
Mine is still leaking not to sure what to do now ?

Any ideas please:mad:

John Munn
20-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Oil leaking from the base gasket on the rear cylinder seems to be a fairly common fault i had mine changed out after the first 100 miles then it was still leaking, Back in again and they used Suzuki sealent this time as it cures faster than Ducati sealent. It's fine now

infoage1
28-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by John Munn
Oil leaking from the base gasket on the rear cylinder seems to be a fairly common fault i had mine changed out after the first 100 miles then it was still leaking, Back in again and they used Suzuki sealent this time as it cures faster than Ducati sealent. It's fine now

Hi guys,

Grunter has been bothering us over on the US board (showing off some very nice UK bikes), which reminded me to come over and lurk a little here.

This base gasket leak, as I understand it, is from a oil galley in the engine cases that is not used on our cylinders. The fix, again, as I understand it, is to tap the passage, and thread in a plug flush to the gasket surface. I know the different sealant thing is how Ducati first recommended this problem be fixed (it's how my bike was fixed two years ago), but from everything I've heard, plugging this passage is now the preferred solution.

Tom

McMONSTRO
28-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Cheers infoangel! Ill suggest that to the dealer when mine goes in for its 6k service. That just leaves the black clutch fluid to sort! Apart from that no problems, all is well with the bike Im pleased to say:)

McMonstro

infoage1
05-02-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by McMONSTRO
Cheers infoangel!

That just leaves the black clutch fluid to sort! :)

McMonstro
I'm afraid we'll have to wait for Divine Intervention to solve that mystery :)

retskcid
09-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Mmmm, I have a small leak that finds its way down on to the exhaust pipes where it splits and goes to the chain side (thats how I found it because it smells and smokes) - it seems fairly central - is this likely to be the notorious base gasket leak?!!

Steve (service guy) made a note of it on my invoice but did not mention it when I picked the bike up.

jerry
09-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Base gasket fault is common on S4 but easy to cure by plugging the redundant oil feed hole with a flush studlocked engineers screw. the hassle is removing all the rear cylinder to do it.

pushrod seals and O rings will leak clutch fluid a little ....but biggest problem is nasty build up of Chain goo which needs regular cleaning out .

retskcid
09-05-2008, 08:05 PM
My mistake, checked tonight and the leak is near the oil filter and hits the exhaust where it comes down from the front cylinder? Could be the engine case joint?

Poutie
20-05-2008, 10:18 PM
retskid,

I have just found the same problem as the last post today - did you find out what the cause was?

PS thanks everyone who posted about milky oil glass has put my mind to rest.

retskcid
21-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi there,

No, I am monitoring it at the moment. I have only used the bike twice for work (sh*te weather!) and the drip does not seem so bad?!

I will continue to monitor and let you know. The main thing is to keep an eye on oil consumption - that way you have an idea of how bad the leaks are.

Rich