UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » S4 oil leaks, anybody got/had any?

Old 11-09-2003, 08:35 PM   #1
br1an

Question S4 oil leaks, anybody got/had any?

I'm booking my bike in at Woods next week for a persistent engine oil leak around the sprocket area, has anybody else had this on a S4 and had it fixed?

I know claicerrig and somebody else had the same problem and clai's bikes still not fixed after a couple of atempts , so did anyone manage a permanent cure?

Thanks,

Brian.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #2
br1an

bump?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:08 PM   #3
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
My 900 has a 'leak' around the sprocket area and first thoughts were aimed at the timing cover gasket, but now I think it was just an over zealous chain oiler. I've just added the controller and only time will tell...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 09:11 PM   #4
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
Oh, two more thoughts:
First, is the clutch slave leaking? When I had this it 'looked' like oil leaking from around the sprocket.
Second, are you sure the chain isn't too tight? When my Yamaha DTR had a oil leak it was just the chain being too tight and pulling the gearbox/sprocket output shaft and thus allowing oil past the oil seal.

Mental nutrition...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2003, 07:45 AM   #5
claicerrig

Space
1) That is the first thing the delear chaged on mine.It has still got the leak
2) When i had a look it seems to be leaking from one of the bolt threads
3) Do monster`s suffer from execess crankcase pressure which could force the oil out ?
Old 14-10-2003, 12:52 PM   #6
br1an

Question S4 oil leaks

Do any of you other S4 owners have oil leaks?

It would be really helpfull to me if I knew what problems other people have had and got sorted as I'm starting to get p****d off with taking an almost new bike in to get sorted.

Thanks

Brian.
Old 14-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #7
superlight3

The S4 series engine is notorious for an oil leak at the base gasget of the rear head/barrel.

I've done a few which mainly involves taking the barrel off and lapping the face of the cases and re-sealing the thin gasget.

Odd how it doesn't seem to affect the ST4 series even though they share the same engine.

Not heard of the sprocket leak before, anything going on down there is usually down to too tight a chain tugging on the output shaft.

Cheers.

Lee.

http://www.monstershop-ducati.co.uk
Old 14-10-2003, 03:32 PM   #8
br1an

Thanks for that superlight3

They replaced the clutch pushrod seals the last time it was in.

I'm just wondering what else can be done if these are replaced and it still does'nt cure the leak?

bry...
Old 15-10-2003, 12:35 AM   #9
Desmodue

Thumbs up Oil Leak

Hi Bry,

Sad to hear about your on-going problem, as it spoiling a great bike,

This is just a thought, take it or leave it,

If, and it is an if, the chain has been too tight at some stage, the rubber lip of the oil seal is capable of grooving the output shaft in one particular point,

Renewing the oil seal will not cure the fault, because the lip of the new seal ends up in exactly the same place, ie in the groove,

The remedy is either a new shaft and seal, or to fit a 'spacer' in front of the seal, so that the lip registers on a full diameter unmarked portion of shaft,

The 'spacer' only has to be a couple of mil to effect the cure
Old 15-10-2003, 05:42 PM   #10
McMONSTRO

Mine seems to have the leak at the base of the back cylinder too! Nothing too much but its there! A squirt of brake cleaner removes it every 3-400 miles. I guess Ducati are aware of it so hopefully Ill get it fixed under warranty at the 6k service which will be next year now. The other thing I notice is black fluid in the clutch master cylinder! works fine but I'm sure it shouldnt be that colour! Any one else had this?

McMonstro
Old 15-10-2003, 08:42 PM   #11
peteS4

i have an 02 S4 and so far no leaks !!!!!! what year bikes are you talking about, fingers crossed they sorted it out !!!!!!
Old 16-10-2003, 06:36 AM   #12
RZ500

Quote:
Originally posted by McMONSTRO
Mine seems to have the leak at the base of the back cylinder too! Nothing too much but its there! A squirt of brake cleaner removes it every 3-400 miles. I guess Ducati are aware of it so hopefully Ill get it fixed under warranty at the 6k service which will be next year now. The other thing I notice is black fluid in the clutch master cylinder! works fine but I'm sure it shouldnt be that colour! Any one else had this?

McMonstro
Very early 2002 S4 in Melbourne, Australia here.

Had rear cylinder base oil leak fixed at 1000K service, still good at 7000k.

Had battery leak acid on top head and rocker cover. Replacements arrived a few weeks ago, yet to take in to fit.

Clutch fluid is black.

Little hose from container to top of master cylinder sweats.

I am pretty sure I don't have an oil leak but a slave cylinder leaking.

oh, I forgot. Bike stalls at random, is this a known problem, what is possible cause/fix?

Engine temp hit 105C and fans did not cut in, is this normal?

Proud owner, but getting a bit upset with a brand new bike with so many warranty claims!

Last edited by RZ500; 16-10-2003 at 06:39 AM..
Old 16-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #13
br1an

Lemmon laws

RZ500 do you not have any "lemon laws" similar to they have in the USA?

The problem that you had with the battery acid seems to be a very common one in the USA if you look on their forums. I personally have not heard of this happening in the UK as it must be a problem were temps get up and over 40c.

How far do you have to go to get your nearest dealer?

Hope you get sorted.

Bry...
Old 16-10-2003, 12:58 PM   #14
PaulS

My 02 S4 developed the leaky rear cylinder base gasket problem at around 1500 miles. Fixed under warranty by Bob Hill's and not recurred so far at 4600 miles. The only other problem I've had is with the oil pressure switch down near the oil filler. After I washed the bike for the first time the oil warning light stayed on after starting the engine which obviously freaked me out. Apparently these switches are very sensitive to moisture in the oil and this is a common problem. How water from washing gets in the oil is a mystery to me and a bit of a concern. I was only using a normal garden hosepipe and took care to avoid spraying the electrics and the air filter housing. Got the switch replaced under warranty but the same happened to the new switch the next time I washed the bike.
Old 17-10-2003, 12:23 AM   #15
Desmodue

Question Oil Pressure Switch

Hi paul,

The water 'creeps' into the switch from the outside !

Try cleaning it up, make sure you drive out all the moisture, then wrap some insulating tape around the cable end.