UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Raising the Bar... the Handlebar

Old 25-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
MilesB

Question Raising the Bar... the Handlebar

Following on from my Multiple Musings thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=18791

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
Then fit a pair of 6inch Renthal Trials bars (like mine) which are about 2 inches higher and 3 inches wider than standard, with a sweep that gives more of a trailie/relaxed riding position and moves the weight off your wrists...
It's not the weight on the wrists that is a problem, more the angle between torso and thighs - I need a bit less lean.

I had a brilliant ride on the Monnie on Sunday, so don't really want to swap it for anything yet. Sooo...

Changing the bars for something higher sounds like a good idea

They don't need to be wider, just taller, and possibly pulled back slightly more. The Renthals sound like they may do the job - and if too wide, well better than too short - hacksaw time .

I had a close look at the existing bars / cables / hoses on the bike last night, and it doesn't look like there is a vast amount of slack there . I don't mind putting the bars on, but having to fit new brake/clutch hoses would be (a) expensive and (b) a pain in the

Any advice on raising handlebars greatfully recieved.

Miles
Old 25-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I had Renthal road 'ultra lows' for a while, they're essentially the same as monster bars but higher at the ends, making you sit a little more upright. All stock cables and hoses fit OK. I couldn't get on with them because I didn't like the lack weight over the steering.
part no. is 758-01
Attached Images
File Type: jpg comparison.JPG (6.8 KB, 478 views)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
I had Renthal road 'ultra lows' for a while, they're essentially the same as monster bars but higher at the ends, making you sit a little more upright. All stock cables and hoses fit OK. I couldn't get on with them because I didn't like the lack weight over the steering.
part no. is 758-01
From the sketch I can see that there would be no problems with the fittings - but it is useful to know how the Renthal range compares to the Ducati Bars.
Old 25-07-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
SimonH

Miles,
Phil & I have both got Renthals (Superbike bars) on our monsters and they are OK. You can get them in range of heights - ask Spareshack.

By the way are you coming to the V Twin?

SimonH
Old 25-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #5
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonH
Miles,
Phil & I have both got Renthals (Superbike bars) on our monsters and they are OK. You can get them in range of heights - ask Spareshack.
This is promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonH
By the way are you coming to the V Twin?
Yes - Susan is determined to make it by bike this year too!
Old 25-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #6
JMo

Unfortunately...

I think you'll find that if you want a significant difference in height/layback, then you will need to change the brake/clutch hoses and the throttle and fast idle cables too - I fitted Renthal Low bars (not the ultra low like Slob) to Sazza's ie bike and the cables really were a bit of a stretch - infact we ended up getting a new fast idle cable as the rerouting was ugly. We also cut 10mm off each end of the bar as there was no way the hydraulic hoses would stretch enough to have the grips right at the end.

You can lengthen the throttle and fast idles cables easily with a universal throttle cable kit (about £8 each) and solder on the correct nipples, while new hoses from Goodrich aren't the end of the world, although you'll be looking at the thick end of £20 each (and you'll need 3 of course)...

I think realistically you are looking at around £100 for the whole lot (including the bars).

xxx
Old 25-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Miles
is your bike the 900ieS with the adjustable Showa forks? if so you will have a hell of a job getting different bars to fit due to the distance between the adjusters. The only way I can see is to buy some taller bar risers which at present I am trying to find. If it is the 900ieS I will let you know if I find anything.

Ian
Old 25-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh
Miles
is your bike the 900ieS with the adjustable Showa forks? if so you will have a hell of a job getting different bars to fit due to the distance between the adjusters. The only way I can see is to buy some taller bar risers which at present I am trying to find.
No - mine is the 900ieDark - with the 'cheapo' non adjustable forks - so no worries there. Just as well, as the risers on my model are part of the top yoke casting, so taller risers are not an option!
Old 25-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #9
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
I think you'll find that if you want a significant difference in height/layback, then you will need to change the brake/clutch hoses and the throttle and fast idle cables too - I fitted Renthal Low bars (not the ultra low like Slob) to Sazza's ie bike and the cables really were a bit of a stretch - infact we ended up getting a new fast idle cable as the rerouting was ugly. We also cut 10mm off each end of the bar as there was no way the hydraulic hoses would stretch enough to have the grips right at the end.
Bugger
Old 26-07-2006, 12:03 AM   #10
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB
No - mine is the 900ieDark - with the 'cheapo' non adjustable forks - so no worries there. Just as well, as the risers on my model are part of the top yoke casting, so taller risers are not an option!
You can get risers that fit into the existing cast clamps on your top yoke - they are usually used on motocrossers for converting regular cast clamps to fat-bars, but they also do standard 7/8th inch clamps for simply raising the bars...

However, they are around £30-40 a pair, so typically more expensive than the Renthal 7/8th inch bars...

If you look in the Renthal catalogue (or website?) you'll see that the clamp width varies depending on the model/style of bar - I went for the Trials bar as it has a very narrow 155mm clamp width, which is just right for Monster clamps, although as Pooh says, a lot of the bars have a wider (200mm or so) clamp area which might be too wide for those with adjustable forks...

xxx
Old 26-07-2006, 06:33 AM   #11
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh
The only way I can see is to buy some taller bar risers which at present I am trying to find. If it is the 900ieS I will let you know if I find anything.

Ian

Ian

give Steve Street at Oberon a ring on 02392 481188 - he does a range of bar risers

Ped
Old 26-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
Meteor

Bike: M900
Bar risers

Saw these on e-bay.......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Handlebar-...QQcmdZViewItem
Meteor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #13
MilesB

Red face Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor
OK - I'm a bit of an e-bay Numpty , so help me out here.
These are new items, so the 'Bid price' is the price ... this isn't an auction .

That being the case, I could get a set of risers for £19.99 (plus postage) - and give it a go - sounds like it's worth a go.
Old 26-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Miles,

It is an auction rather than 'buy it now' on a fixed price.

If you check out the number of bids it has one listed, so selling price would be more than £19.99 if you bid against him - especially if that guy has entered a higher maximum bid.

Ebay automatically bids on your behalf up to your maximum. So if that bidder has entered a maximum of £50, you would have to bid over that to win the item, and hope nobody then out bids you.

Fixed price auctions always price as 'buy it now'

Looks like a good way to lift the bars - although I would doubt the pipes/cables have enough slack to allow a 25mm jack up. I struggled when I fitted the redline clip ons to mine and that barely lifted the bars at all - bugger all slack allowance TBH

The seller has shed loads of risers though - so if you miss this set I'm sure more will be listed before long... maybe even on a buy it now option?

Have a look...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Worldvoyager1-Special-Parts

Last edited by gary tompkins; 26-07-2006 at 05:51 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #15
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
It is an auction rather than 'buy it now' on a fixed price.

If you check out the number of bids it has one listed, so selling price would be more than £19.99 if you bid against him - especially if that guy has entered a higher maximum bid.

Fixed price auctions always price as 'buy it
Thanks Gary
Thats what I thought - almost every other item is 'Buy it now', but the Monster Risers - and there is a range of risers, NOT one item. How can I bid on a range? The other bidder may not want the specific part that I do

Looks like I'll wait and see on this one.

Thing is, whatever I do, to get the height I'm going to have to rotate the brake & clutch hose banjos - which will let air into the system... so I'm going to have to bleed the brakes whatever. In that case, new Renthal Bars may be an option anyway.