UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Multiple Musings

Old 11-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
MilesB

Question Multiple Musings

What do I want from a bike

As most of the regulars to this Forum will have gathered, I have an on-going search for the ā€˜best bike for meā€™ projectā€¦ and I think Iā€™ve found it at last.

Donā€™t get me wrong ā€“ I love my Monster ā€“ BUTā€¦
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=14055

Over the few years I have been biking, Iā€™ve always had naked roadsters ā€“ with or without small headlight cowls as the only weather protection. I like the ā€˜honestyā€™ of the naked roadster; you can see, and get to, everything without having to remove plastic fairings which can (and do) hide a multitude of sins on some bikes. Hence I love the ā€˜retro nakedā€™ look of the Monster. But I also love that about the Moto Guzzi Griso ā€“ which is an awesome looking beast, and the Buell Lightning(s).

Those who know me know that I enjoy riding ā€˜technicalā€™ roads ā€“ twisty, turny with steep hills both up and down. Overall speed in a straight line is easy ā€“ given a modest sized motorbike we can all hit illegal speeds on motorways and dual carriageways; Boring. The trick to make good progress on twisty A and B roads, and to have fun at lower speeds. So, my bike has to have good handling and brakes, and a flexible engine. Ducati air cooled ā€˜Lā€™ twins provide great controllable and useable power, with engine braking.

I also like to do reasonable distances on my bike, as I use it for holidays too. With soft luggage the Monster becomes a passable tourer ā€“ even better now Iā€™ve fitted the rack ā€“ and with a comfy saddle the daily range is over 300 milesā€¦ Iā€™m sure more are possible, but Iā€™ve yet to try.

So the Monster is pretty much good enough for meā€¦ many other bikes could achieve similar capabilities, but then they wouldnā€™t qualify me to spend my time with you lot ! This club is great, and I have made some good friends though it so even if I become Monsterless, I donā€™t wanna leave!

But that doesnā€™t stop me trying other bikesā€¦

I had a test ride on the Buell XB12Ss, which was fun, but ultimately lacked the engine braking I was expecting. Also had a somewhat compromised ride on a Griso ā€“ uncomfortable, and I wasnā€™t able to open up the engine properly.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
MilesB

Exclamation Ergonomics

Susan ā€“ my partner, and the one who got me riding bikes in the first place ā€“ also rides. For those of you who donā€™t know, she was the one who wanted a Monster first . Unfortunately she couldnā€™t afford a reasonable one, but managed to pick up a bargain SV650, which I tried when I was having problems with my previous bike (Triumph T-bird Sport). I liked it, and it was enough to get me on a Monster.

I test rode an M900 (with high level Termiā€™s), and loved it . On the strength of that I said yes to an M900ie Dark on special offer, and was pleasantly surprised when I got it to find it was a brand new machine (Iā€™d been expecting a pre-registered bike or the previous yearā€™s model). The ride position was more extreme (bars lower) than I had been expecting, putting me into quite a sporting position. It took a bit of getting used to, but proved to be OK. I got used to it.

A couple of years ago, Susan started having back problems ā€“ so much so that she couldnā€™t ride her SV. After much experimentation with different handlebars ā€“ which helped, but only to a certain extent ā€“ we decided that Susan needed a new bike. This would need to be a ā€˜tallā€™ bike, so that she could ride comfortably with a decent posture ā€“ we know all about this as Susan designs ergonomically sound furniture. We also wanted something that wasnā€™t too heavy, but that would ideally be able to be used as a two up touring bike, thus allowing us to share the riding, and reducing the costs of touring with two bikes (fuel, tolls, ferries, wear and tear, etc).

To do all these things, and be light enough for Susan to handle it produced a very short listā€¦ we (both) test rode a Multistrada 1000DS and the ST3. The ST was ā€˜orrible, and a lot of people say it only comes into itā€™s own at speeds in excess of 80mphā€¦ er hello? What is the point of that?

Anyway the Multistrada was fab and we both loved it, but we decided that the economics unfortunately did not make sense, and so Susan eventually bought a Yamaha TDM 850. After some grief getting the thing registered in the UK (as it was bought on the Isle of Man) it now has scot-oiler, hard panniers and a luggage rack.

As planned, weā€™ve recently been to Corsica and back, sharing the riding, and covering 350 miles/day for 4 days. It performed superbly ā€“ especially compared with the big BMWs and Pans we kept company with. A 2000 mile round trip with the riding/pillion shared about equally. I was pleasantly impressed with it ā€“ although I did miss the Monsterā€™s handling and power/torque delivery when things got ā€˜technicalā€™.

More importantly was when I got back, and the next day threw a leg over the Monster. ā€œOh God ā€“ I NEED a taller bike!ā€
Old 11-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
MilesB

OK, so I like my Monster, but need something taller. Bearing in mind my comments above, plus the fact that I canā€™t really afford a new bike at the moment, what can I do?

I could try higher handlebars on the Monster ā€“ anyone done that?

Or, I could try a Multistrada 620 .

I canā€™t afford a 1000, but a 620 I could probably just about manage. I know the ergonomics are good, but what about that engine ā€¦ Iā€™m used to a 900ie, and to downshift to a 620ie might be a bit tough? But then again, to be honest I rarely use all of the engineā€™s performance, and itā€™s not often that the rev counter needle sees the right hand side of the dial . How much power do I need anyway?

In the interests of science I tried the Numpty 620 on Sunday. It was, as the Irish would put it, a ā€˜softā€™ day ā€“ ie mizzling enough to get you soaked without it actually raining .

As I expected, it was comfortable (saddle is good too ā€“ much better than the stock one on my Monster), and as the seat is so far forward, the bike actually feels much smaller. I soon found out I need have no worries about the engine performanceā€¦ I took it for a blast around some of my favourite roads (Rye & Romney Marsh way) and had a complete hoot .

The only reason I took the bike back after 90 minutes or so (I had as long as I wanted) was that I was beginning to get too soggy ā€“ the rain having penetrated my boots and jacket, and my gloves were full of water.
The bike is a hoot, and I WANT ONE!

Of course, it isnā€™t quite as easy as that.

Which one do I get?

I know Iā€™d be happy with the 620, but what if Ducati announce a 695 later this year? Rumours abound about there not even being a small engine Multistrada next year, or if there is, then the front end will be re-modelled.

I must admit that I do like the Numpty as it is, but there is of course the option to take the faring off, tidy up the front of the tank, and fit a Monster headlight and cowl on the front ā€¦ a MultiMostro / MostroStrada ?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
MilesB

Question UKMOC - United Kingdom Multistrada Owners Club ?

And more to the point, if I change my Ducati for another one, can I hide in the corner and hope no-one notices?

I say this because there is no UK Multistrada Owners Club

The best resource out there appears to be Multistrada.net, which is great for the technical stuff, but not much use as a lets get together/go on rideouts/make friends type club.

ā€œDear Terry
Please can we have a Numpty Corner? Weā€™ll be very good, keep the place clean and tidy. After all, the M in UKMOC also works for Multiā€¦ā€

PS: Didge is still here, and he ain't even got a Ducati anymore...
Old 11-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
sidrat
ex S4rs owner

Bike: S4r
interesting............I have had two numpties, and five monsters, and another 8 or so assorted ducaties. I found the numpty comfy, but slow (i had the 1000 and the 10000s), i mean slow handling, compared to the monster, and i couldnt stand and stare loveingly at it, because it is ugly, especially compared to my monnie. There are lots of changes i would like to see Ducati make to the monster, but at the moment it is the nearest bike i can find that hits as many of my soft spots as possible, although i too have a test ride booked on a griso......
sidrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
JMo

One word: Hypermotard.

Sell your soul fella x

Or... put Multistrada forks and a longer rear shock on your Monny, Renthal bars and a KTM supermoto mudguard and front headlight and hey presto - a Hypermotard (in black) 8 months before the offical one - and membership of the UKMOC intact...

xxx

Seriously though, if you can afford a new MS620, why not get a secondhand 1000?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
claicerrig

Mutistrada do a good trackday tool as well
Old 12-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
One word: Hypermotard.

Or... put Multistrada forks and a longer rear shock on your Monny, Renthal bars and a KTM supermoto mudguard and front headlight and hey presto - a Hypermotard (in black) 8 months before the offical one - and membership of the UKMOC intact...

xxx

Seriously though, if you can afford a new MS620, why not get a secondhand 1000?
Secondly, I didn't say I could afford a new 620 , could just about manage an ex-demo if I sell the Monster.
Also insurance...
MTS1000 = Group 15
MTS620 = Group 11
(M900 = Group 13)

And firstly - I hate the Hypermotard - It does absolutely nothing for me . What is it with this 'beak' thing? Looks hideous . (I also hear that Ducati are having some 'fun', as there is very little bodywork in which to conceal both an air box for a 1000cc engine and have enough fuel capacity to get you to the next petrol station )

I do quite like the look of the Numpty as is, but I could be tempted to mod the front end to look more like a Monster.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB
Secondly, I didn't say I could afford a new 620 , could just about manage an ex-demo if I sell the Monster.
Ah I see, fair enough...

Still reckon jacking up your Monny would be fun though?

xxx
Old 12-07-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Roberto

990 super duke, looks like a fun tool, just forget its a KTM a good name for a Ducati too..

Ducati 990 SUUUPER DUKE!
Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #11
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
Still reckon jacking up your Monny would be fun though?
THe thing is, I want to extend the distance between seat and pegs, and decrease the reach to the bars... just making the Monnie higher ain't gonna do that. Or do you have a plan?
Old 13-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #12
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
Ah I see, fair enough...
If I had the money, I'd think about the GT1000 - which has a higher seat in a Retro Monster kinda way
Old 13-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #13
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
THe thing is, I want to extend the distance between seat and pegs, and decrease the reach to the bars... just making the Monnie higher ain't gonna do that. Or do you have a plan?
Get your arms stretched and your legs chopped?

I know a man that can sort you out if you get stuck
Old 14-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #14
JMo

Mad professor!

Quote:

Well, if you're serious you could have the original seat reupholstered a couple of inches thicker (ie. less of a scoop that is standard) - you could also make it a bit wider (rather than chamfered) below your legs too?

Then fit a pair of 6inch Renthal Trials bars (like mine) which are about 2 inches higher and 3 inches wider than standard, with a sweep that gives more of a trailie/relaxed riding position and moves the weight off your wrists...

That might be enough, but with the raised suspension you would really have a retro Multistrada, non?

xxx