UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Ethanol test for pump petrol

Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggsy View Post
Interesting.
I knew about Esso Super but not Total and Mobil, thanks for that.
However, I recently had an email from BP in which they said the position was constantly evolving and therefore they could not confirm if ethanol was present or not in their Super. (I think eeveryone's Regular has up to 5% Ethanol).
Luckily there's plenty of Esso around here.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
Luddite

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54589

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Here's an interesting recent thread on the subject.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...hlight=ethanol
Old 26-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It was clear before brexit that the E5 fuel was a stop-gap before they brought in E10. If E5 causes problems for older vehicles then E10 will be twice as bad. But do they care when the motives are to remove older less environmentally friendly vehicles off the road. You wouldhave thought with brexit we would be free from the eurocrats behind this but apparently not.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It was clear before brexit that the E5 fuel was a stop-gap before they brought in E10. If E5 causes problems for older vehicles then E10 will be twice as bad.
I'll put this in here for future reference in case we get really desperate. Mentioned in the Bike magazine article I referred to earlier, (post #49), it's a small independent fuel supplier who can provide 20 litre barrels of ethanol-free fuel delivered to your door, (at a price, of course!).

They are called Classic Fuel Solutions https://classicfuelsolutions.co.uk/

In the meantime, as I mentioned earlier at post #36, the consultation document suggests that there will still be a legal requirement for oil companies to provide so-called 'protection grade' fuel of not more than 5% ethanol until 31 December 2020 at the earliest with renewal to be considered at that time.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
I'll put this in here for future reference in case we get really desperate. Mentioned in the Bike magazine article I referred to earlier, (post #49), it's a small independent fuel supplier who can provide 20 litre barrels of ethanol-free fuel delivered to your door, (at a price, of course!).

They are called Classic Fuel Solutions https://classicfuelsolutions.co.uk/

In the meantime, as I mentioned earlier at post #36, the consultation document suggests that there will still be a legal requirement for oil companies to provide so-called 'protection grade' fuel of not more than 5% ethanol until 31 December 2020 at the earliest with renewal to be considered at that time.
But only if you don't have lambda sensors
Old 04-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #6
Luddite

Further to post #53 above, a consultation has been opened today on the introduction of E10 fuel into the UK. It runs until 19 April.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ing-e10-petrol

A quick skim through the proposals suggests that the main points are:

• E10 would be introduced in 2021.
• E10 would become the standard 'premium' fuel containing at least 5.5% ethanol.
• Protection grade fuel (i.e. containing less than 5% ethanol) will continue to be made available as 97+ octane 'super' until at least 2026, after which extension of its availability would be reviewed.

I think most of us have an opinion about ethanol in fuel but, if you feel strongly about this latest move, rather than just moan about it on the forum, make your feelings known to those who will be drawing up the future legislation. Complete one of these response forms.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ponse-form.odt

And email it to: LowCarbonFuel.Consultation@dft.gov.uk

I think we need to ensure that the protection grade fuel is available beyond 2026 until at least such time as the ban on new internal combustion engine vehicles is introduced.

Last edited by Luddite; 05-03-2020 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: email address for response form added
Old 04-03-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

There was an article on this in today's Times. Thanks for posting.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #8
Uncle Bob

I may be misunderstanding, but surely the supposed 'clean' benefits alone of super unleaded petrol should ensure that it's still available for as long as combustion engines exist? Assuming of course that anyone can afford to buy it.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #9
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I may be misunderstanding, but surely the supposed 'clean' benefits alone of super unleaded petrol should ensure that it's still available for as long as combustion engines exist? Assuming of course that anyone can afford to buy it.
It's all part of the government's efforts to reduce the UK's net carbon emissions to zero by 2050, Bob.

Ethanol is being blended with petrol as it is renewable and supposedly reduces a vehicle's CO² emissions by 2% over running on E5.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It shouldn't be a major problem should it, providing that you can continue to buy premium grade with <=5.0% ethanol and just use that instead? OK it will be a bit more expensive but I always buy that if I can anyway.

But if for whatever reason you couldn't get premium and you needed fuel you wouldn't really want to buy E10.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
Graham04

Bike: M620ie
My local Esso garage has just had an upgrade and the supreme petrol pump now shows E5. It was inevitable that they would catch up eventually
Graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #12
Luddite

Don't worry, Graham. It's just a labelling thing - if it was ethanol-free before than it will still be ethanol-free.

See post #50 earlier in the thread: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...7&postcount=50

If you're worried about the ethanol content then just test a sample as explained at the start of this thread.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #13
The Clockie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham04 View Post
My local Esso garage has just had an upgrade and the supreme petrol pump now shows E5. It was inevitable that they would catch up eventually
Yes, I noticed that and began to lose faith. However, reassured by the discussions, stocks of ethanol-free Esso petrol are now in the garage awaiting the riding season (the better grades of fuel have a longer shelf-life too).

I mean; I appreciate ethanol in the right place i.e. my G&T, but not in fuel!

Nick
Old 07-10-2020, 03:46 PM   #14
Luddite

Update:

From: http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=580403

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
No more 0% ethanol pure Benzine fuel in Uk since early this year even Esso and BP 97 /98/99 octane is now 5% ethanol
Not true. For confirmation, I've just tested 100cc of Esso Synergy Supreme+ bought from Chickenhall Service Station in Eastleigh last Wednesday and, as in all previous tests, it remains completely ethanol free.

There is currently no E10 fuel available in the UK as it is not due to be introduced until 2021. According to the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), there will be a nationwide publicity campaign six months before the launch of E10, so keep an eye out for that and pay attention to the pump labels once E10 becomes available.

Again, according to the PRA, 'protection grade' E5 will continue to be made available for at least five years after the introduction of E10. My hope is that, while E5 remains on the menu, Esso will continue to offer it as ethanol-free.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:05 AM   #15
Luddite

From Fortnine, a timely, interesting and, as ever, entertaining look at fuel stabilisers.

Don't have nightmares!