UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » S4rs expanding petrol tank

Old 07-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #31
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Caswell, done correctly, works really well. Too much work for most - which is why we still encounter swollen tanks. The instructions are posted as a tutorial on DucatiMonsteForum.org http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=64897.0

First "fix" was the US law suit on behalf of 50,000 affected owners. New tanks a couple of years and then a hinge+new seat kit. After 5 years (or so) no more help from Ducati.

Second fix was the 696 style black plastic tank, covered with panels. It expanded, but didn't become as problematic as on S*R bikes. Third fix was the same tank, but now in a material not affected by the water. Not introduced in the US because it wasn't 100% fuel proof and this 'leakage' was unacceptable for the US govt.

Next on the forum agendas will be rusted steel tanks. As it was 20 years ago.

... and so on
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #32
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
Out of interest,do you still have to lever yours to get it fitted?Or,did you fit the ally tank?Or......sorry about all the questions....did the elongated hinge mounting plate holes do the trick?

Kimbo
With the holes elongated to the max, yes it’s still very tight at the ignition shroud.
The ally tank is still in it’s box. A combination of just seeing how long original tank will last and finding a self etching clear which i have the confidence to do it’s job over the bare metal.
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #33
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
No more 0% ethanol pure Benzine fuel in Uk since early this year even Esso and BP 97 /98/99 octane is now 5% ethanol
Not true. For confirmation, I've just tested 100cc of Esso Synergy Supreme+ bought from Chickenhall Service Station in Eastleigh last Wednesday and, as in all previous tests, it remains completely ethanol free.

There is currently no E10 fuel available in the UK as it is not due to be introduced until 2021. According to the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA), there will be a nationwide publicity campaign six months before the launch of E10, so keep an eye out for that and pay attention to the pump labels once E10 becomes available.

Again, according to the PRA, 'protection grade' E5 will continue to be made available for at least five years after the introduction of E10. My hope is that, while E5 remains on the menu, Esso will continue to offer it as ethanol-free.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:48 PM   #34
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
Caswell, done correctly, works really well. Too much work for most - which is why we still encounter swollen tanks. The instructions are posted as a tutorial on DucatiMonsteForum.org http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=64897.0

First "fix" was the US law suit on behalf of 50,000 affected owners. New tanks a couple of years and then a hinge+new seat kit. After 5 years (or so) no more help from Ducati.

Second fix was the 696 style black plastic tank, covered with panels. It expanded, but didn't become as problematic as on S*R bikes. Third fix was the same tank, but now in a material not affected by the water. Not introduced in the US because it wasn't 100% fuel proof and this 'leakage' was unacceptable for the US govt.

Next on the forum agendas will be rusted steel tanks. As it was 20 years ago.

... and so on
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien666 View Post
With the holes elongated to the max, yes it’s still very tight at the ignition shroud.
The ally tank is still in it’s box. A combination of just seeing how long original tank will last and finding a self etching clear which i have the confidence to do it’s job over the bare metal.
Interesting to know there was a hinge and seat kit....if I knew what exactly that consisted of I reckon I could get it copied...

I also can't help wondering what would happen if I took my bike into an official Ducati dealers for some service work or something and they couldn't clamp the tank down?Can't imagine that they would change the tank after all these years.....hmnnnn...might have to do some further investigation.

All the best

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #35
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures
... what would happen if I took my bike into an official Ducati dealers for some service work or something and they couldn't clamp the tank down?s...
fit a new tank and charge you £850.00 + Labour & VAT?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #36
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
fit a new tank and charge you £850.00 + Labour & VAT?
Probably right there Rob
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:34 PM   #37
jerry
Old Git

Luddite thats good news but in Brighton the Esso stations Synergy 97 is ethanol 5% as my mate Barney is a delivery driver for them and his tanker is all 5% he says it depends on the retailer who owns each site , most of the Brighton ones are not run by Esso but an independant
Old 07-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #38
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
Luddite thats good news but in Brighton the Esso stations Synergy 97 is ethanol 5%
That sucks but I know there are regional variations. Try checking a sample yourself in a jam jar or similar - you might be lucky.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #39
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
That sucks but I know there are regional variations. Try checking a sample yourself in a jam jar or similar - you might be lucky.
will do I will go get a gallon in a can and try