UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » First ducati dabble!

Old 02-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #1
LesJC

First ducati dabble!

Hi All from near Ayr on the west coast of Scotland. My kids bought me a CBT voucher for my 70th three years ago. So I'm new and making the most of it!! Got a Triumph Street Triple before passing my test. Shortly after passing, traded up to a new Speed Triple S but didn't like it (too heavy and not corner friendly) so sold it. Got a new BMW S1000XR and love it but always hankered after a Ducati Monster. Jessica at Ducati Glasgow put me in touch with a chap trading a 2012 Monster 1100 Evo. Saw it, liked it and bought it, without having ridden it. Compared with the Speed, it is lighter and much more corner friendly. Love its looks, its sound and how user friendly it feels. Glad to have found the Forum so will be looking for tips how to make it even prettier and other ideas on getting the max from her!
Old 02-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
wow, cool kids

hello and welcome to the forum
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #3
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Welcome to the Les you're in good company with quite afew 70 year old members.

A year ago today my wife and I passed through Ayr on our way home from a holiday on the Caledonian Canal, wonderful holiday just a pity we didn't have the monster to ride some of your fabulous roads...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:41 AM   #4
LesJC

Thanks Slob. Always nice to be welcomed as a newby!!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
LesJC

Hi Buzzbomb - thanks for the warm welcome. Were you heading for a ferry, or just taking a Southerly detour? This month's 'BIKE' features some great roads in Southern Scotland - I can vouch for the fact it is a bit of a 'Cinderella' compared to the Highlands. Great roads not too busy! Don't suppose you can advise how to access members' photo archives? Ta
Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
boris
More Tools!

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome too from a fellow EVO worshiper. I'm up on the Moray Coast and it's just a cough from some fabulous roads. Well worth maybe heading north in the future. Just avoid the yellow vultures on the A9. Go west side, A82, through Glencoe and Fort William then Fort Augustus up to Inverness. You will NOT be disappointed Also from your place it would be a good ride up to the DG events held at the Green Welly Stop (Tyndrum)

Last edited by boris; 02-05-2018 at 11:32 AM..
boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #7
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Welcome on board Les, my parents live down in Ayr and I usually take the Monster when visiting..........if you see an S4 on the M77 it's probably me
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Welcome fella, be warned “DO NOT LOOK FOR THE Evo MODDING THREADS” they are highly contagious and will rapidly empty your wallet, but the results are fantastic :-)
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #9
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
Ayup Les,

I'm just in the process of moving to Lockerbie. Not that far away.

Al.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #10
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome aboard the Evo train, Les. As Chris.p said, there's an almost endless number of mods you can do to the Evo, even though the model's been out of production for a few years now.

It's all just limited by your imagination and the size of your wallet.

If you want some idea of what's available, have a look here http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55168

(NB I won't be responsible for any subsequent spending you feel is necessary!)

If you spend any time at lower speeds, i.e. 30-40 m.p.h. or do much town riding, and you only do one mod, I'd recommend getting Neil at Cornerspeed (01623 238944) http://cornerspeed.co.uk/tuning.php to reflash your ECU.

He'll remap it, disable the lambdas and exhaust valve and it'll run so much sweeter low down. And all done by post too!

Enjoy.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #11
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Some more links. (Get your wallet out)

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50780

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50851

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=51391
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Welcome aboard the Evo train, Les. As Chris.p said, there's an almost endless number of mods you can do to the Evo, even though the model's been out of production for a few years now.

It's all just limited by your imagination and the size of your wallet.

If you want some idea of what's available, have a look here http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55168

(NB I won't be responsible for any subsequent spending you feel is necessary!)

If you spend any time at lower speeds, i.e. 30-40 m.p.h. or do much town riding, and you only do one mod, I'd recommend getting Neil at Cornerspeed (01623 238944) http://cornerspeed.co.uk/tuning.php to reflash your ECU.

He'll remap it, disable the lambdas and exhaust valve and it'll run so much sweeter low down. And all done by post too!

Enjoy.
Welome to UKMOC Les.
Definitely worth having a chat with Neil at Cornerspeed. Nice chap and very knowledgeable on all things Ducati.
I’ll be 60 next year and your example gives me hope for many more years of biking!
Old 16-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #13
bobbertandsammy

Bike: M900
Welcome in buddy from sunny Hamilton
bobbertandsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 04:31 PM   #14
Recardo

Hi Les,

Just up the road from you in the Costa del Saltcoats. I picked up my first Ducati, an 1100S a couple of weeks ago too.