UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Monster 900Sie 50000mile refresh.

Old 28-01-2024, 01:48 PM   #61
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks Tim and Rob for the good info and support.
All the GSXR 1000 discs I've found have 5 holes and no mention of the offset, But I do know that some GSXR parts are interchangeable with Ducati.

I think Nasher and I have come up with a plan. Watch this space.
Old 28-01-2024, 02:06 PM   #62
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

That means of course that using the 15mm offset discs the discs will be 2mm further apart, or in other words 1mm further out, or offcentre to the radial calipers.
I've looked at the setup I've done on both my 1000ss and M1000, and both would easily accommodate this, but are slightly different.
When I fitted the HPK discs to the 916, I recall having to alter the alignment slightly by altering the RH spacer.

IIRC I got a new alloy spacer made at around 0.5mm bigger than the original (which is why I've got the steel spacers spare) and the reason for this is the HPK discs are 6mm thick rather than 5mm of the 748R and other Ducati discs whereas the inside of the caliper is only around 7-8mm, so alignment is critical so as not to touch the caliper body with the disc.

In hindsight I think they were just OK and not touching but my OCD wouldn't let it go that close but, being full floating I imagine they would find a way to clear anyway?

Otherwise I think you'll find the 15mm offset will be fine but if not you can just alter it by machining down the spacers or fitting thicker spacers/adding shims, the only potential fly in the ointment is the speedo drive might not be easy to machine but maybe you could remove material from the inside of the fork leg or the wheel if absolutely required? but, that should only be the case if you needed a narrower stance and it sounds like you may need it wider?

This is a 748R disc BTW;

Let me know if you need any measurements.

Last edited by Dukedesmo; 28-01-2024 at 04:35 PM..
Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 08:37 PM   #63
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for all the info DD. It has pulled it all into focus.

Quite exhausted by it all actually, not sure whether to persevere with the new front end or not!
I did get all the paint off one of my tanks though. I bought some paint stripper from Screwfix and might as well have put yoghurt on the tank!!
Dacs' strong stuff was much better.
In the end I finished it with 80grit and wire brushes which was quicker and cleaner altogether than paint stripper.
So that's how the other tank will be stripped.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 28-01-2024 at 08:40 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2024, 09:25 PM   #64
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Replied to your PM Mr G.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:42 PM   #65
slob

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59776
post #27
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 09:18 PM   #66
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for the info Rob.
I've decided to stick with my original adjustable Showas which are in good nick and have been recently overhauled by MCT. They are set up well and I'm happy with their performance and looks.
The cost of all the parts needed to get the radials working with the speedo had spiralled out of control, so I cashed in my chips.
Shame, as those callipers looked gorgeous on those forks.
Darren is going to take them on and will have a much easier time of it with no speedo.
I've also taken some 65mm 4 pad callipers in exchange, from a 999 I think? They might perk the brakes up a little and not stray from the Sie original looks too far.

I wish I had more energy to get into the workshop in the evenings though. Work is heavy at the moment and I'm finding it exhausting!
Old 02-02-2024, 05:42 PM   #67
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Those P4 calipers should in theory provide as much power as the radial ones would. Maybe at some point in the future you could upgrade to hybrid 996 style forks?

Old 04-02-2024, 08:34 PM   #68
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yes looking forward to the P4's Darren.

Today I set about sanding the paint off the Monster's tank.
This was achieved within 3 working hours with a break in the middle for a stonking ride on dry roads in 14 degrees of February heat. No heated clothing and I even switched the heated grips off. I wonder how long it will be before it's back that warm again?

I used my Festool sander with just 150g pads on a soft backing pad. With extraction attached there was no mess and tank is all clean and back to metal.
I think it took about two weeks with stripper and scrapers to do the other one, not to mention the mess and destruction of my soul! Lesson learned.

It has revealed a big dent repair on the right side. It has been nicely done as there was no hint of it before. This is why the decal on the right looked untouched as it was re-applied on new paint. They obviously blew the whole tank over with Rosso without prepping the left hand decal and just re-applied one over the raised original. I thought the left side would have a dent. I do have a dent of my own to fill on the left though!

I've also prepped the filler cap. The outer ring will be polished and I've cleaned the ribbed inner ring up with a little Dremel wire brush. I hoped it would polish it up and retain the ribs, but the finish is not even, although it is clean. I've tried Autosol with the wire brush, but no improvement. I figured that a bare polished finish could not be affected by petrol, but I may have to resort back to paint on the inner ring.
I'm trying to think of something different to Silver, but stumped as to what.
Gold would be out as it would be too similar, but not the same as the cap. Red would look horrid. I might try some metallic grey I have that I used on the dash, it was a good match for the original on that, but not sure on my ring. Looking for suggestions, including how I can polish the ribs.

Incidentally, I put the ring on my turntable at 45rpm and it played the intro to Breathe from Dark Side of the Moon. How cool is that?
Old 05-02-2024, 02:57 AM   #69
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Mine plays Have a Cigar, go figure. I have a nice gold keyless cap if you're interested, I think it might be the rare Comfortably Numb version?

Old 05-02-2024, 06:56 AM   #70
dunf

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Thanks for all the info DD. It has pulled it all into focus.

I did get all the paint off one of my tanks though. I bought some paint stripper from Screwfix and might as well have put yoghurt on the tank!!
Dacs' strong stuff was much better.
In the end I finished it with 80grit and wire brushes which was quicker and cleaner altogether than paint stripper.
So that's how the other tank will be stripped.
I've a flywheel from a 2-stroke needing paint removed. Not really suited to abrade as access is difficult in and around all the fins. What is this Dacs strong stuff you refer? Would you happen to have a link? Ta muchy
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 07:46 AM   #71
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

The stuff you can try dunf is from Frost Automotive https://www.frost.co.uk/frost-strip-gel-500ml/
The preferred method years ago, if it was small enough, was to chuck it in a bucket of thinners or Acetone. Not so cheap to fill a bucket these days though!
The Frosty stuff is better than yogurt, but you'll still need to be patient and expect to need at least two applications.

Thanks Darren. I think I'll stick with my trusty old cap, but the thought of my bike singing HELLO to me as I went to mount is very appealing.
Anyone got a version that plays the intro to Start Me Up, or any other super cool Stones into? (I love them all. )
Old 05-02-2024, 08:17 AM   #72
RichardDDuke

Bike: Other Ducati
After hearing about the musical petrol caps, and seeing that as the tank is off being painted, I gave mine a quick spin ....

I've got "Here we go again on my own" by Whitesnake ....

It could've been worse - I've heard there's quite a few Joe Dolce petrol caps out there

Last edited by RichardDDuke; 05-02-2024 at 08:19 AM..
RichardDDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:30 AM   #73
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
I use P4 calipers on The Heap, they do work well but I'm not sure how much better they are compared to the original goldline calipers. Maybe if I was racing, but with more sedate road riding it's hard to compare. Oh yes I did have to change the handlebar master cylinders too. The coffin resevoir type just weren't up to the job. Mine were off a 749 with integral reservoirs to avoid the Meccano type resevoirs.

Last edited by Bitza; 05-02-2024 at 11:34 AM..
Bitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:34 AM   #74
emzedder

Bike: Other Ducati
Enjoying the story Gazza I need to pop over next week or so to have a mardle
emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 02:34 PM   #75
dunf

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
The stuff you can try dunf is from Frost Automotive https://www.frost.co.uk/frost-strip-gel-500ml/
Thanks. I found an old tin of gasket remover. Ex MoD stuff i've had for years. Gave it a try and it was instant paint removal! Amazing what a difference a proper dichloromethane based stripper makes......

Just need some new skin and eyeballs now.
dunf is offline   Reply With Quote