UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Ethanol - Should I be worried

Old 17-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #31
wezrvf

My bike is likely to be left for weeks on end through the winter. I am planning on starting it up and letting it run for 20 mins every now and then but now i don't know what petrol to leave in it and how much for the best.
Old 17-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezrvf View Post
My bike is likely to be left for weeks on end through the winter. I am planning on starting it up and letting it run for 20 mins every now and then but now i don't know what petrol to leave in it and how much for the best.
Don't do that, for lots of reasons, including .......
20mins is far too long for an air-cooled engine to be running without any cooling air flowing over it.
Its also probably not long enough to fully evaporate any internal moisture, which will then turn your oil to emulsion sludge as well as encouraging internal corrosion.

Better to take it out for a longer run, preferably on back roads which are unsalted.
And/or put it on a paddock stand, remove the plugs, engage a gear and turn the engine over by hand via the rear wheel every now and then, to reposition the cambelts and avoid them taking a "set" where they wrap around the pulleys.
Add a small drop of oil down the plug holes to ensure good lubrication of the bores if you're being fussy.

And keep the bike in a shed/garage which is either never heated at all or is constantly heated. Occaisional heating will just increase the likelihood of condensation of airbourne moisture in the tank. Though at least with a plastic tank I guess this won't cause any corrosion.

I'd be inclined to leave a minimal amount of ethanol free fuel in the tank.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #33
wezrvf

Thanks Utopia that all makes sense. Didn't really think about the air cooled thing as i have never had one before however i am sure it would have clicked as i am quite conscious about leaving it running stationary anyway.

I will do all these as well as taking the battery off probably. In terms of moving the wheel is literally just to re position the belts? so a couple of turns should do it ?

Now to find the right petrol..bloody mine field !
Old 17-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #34
DrD

Try Tesco Superunleaded or BP Ultimate
Bit out of date but...
BP Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol at all sites across the UK. BP Ultimate (super unleaded petrol) does not have Ethanol added, except in the South West of England.

Esso Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol at most sites in the UK. Esso Super Unleaded petrol does not contain Ethanol, except in the South West of England (Devon & Cornwall)

Shell Shell has repeatedly refused to answer the question. It is therefore an assumption only, that all Shell petrol should be considered to contain 5% Ethanol.

Texaco Ethanol is added at 5% to unleaded petrol. Texaco Super Unleaded petrol does not contain Ethanol.

Total Ethanol is not added to any Total fuel (including standard unleaded petrol). Except in the North West and South East of England.

This apparently (thanks D) should read:
0% Ethanol
Tesco super
BP super
Esso super
Total super

5% Ethanol
Shell Super (optimax)

Last edited by DrD; 17-10-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Old 17-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #35
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by wezrvf View Post
Is there anyway of checking at the pump if the petrol you are about o put in/ or not is Ethanol free ???
You could try asking the girl at the till just as an experiment.

I have tried this a few times, but the usual answer is "What's efanol??"

If you have a regular place where you fill up, it might be worth asking the person who actually orders the petrol for the info....Jeez you can't sell any kind of food without ALL the ingredients on display. Surely we have a right to know what's in the fuel we buy..??
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #36
Pep

Hi all

I assume this has been seen before.

This is an extract from my owners manual.(796 20th aniversary)

Warning
The vehicle is only compatible with fuel having
a maximum content of ethanol of 10% (E10).
Using fuel with ethanol content over 10% is
forbidden. Using it could result in severe damage of
the engine and motorcycle components. Using fuel
with ethanol content over 10% will make the
warranty null and void

This isn't looking good!

Martin
Old 17-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #37
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
Bit out of date but...
TOTAL-ly out of date mate see my previous post. Seems this ethanol situation is very fast moving but the letters I found on the Merc forum were supposedly from May this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Hi all

I assume this has been seen before.

This is an extract from my owners manual.(796 20th aniversary)

Warning
The vehicle is only compatible with fuel having
a maximum content of ethanol of 10% (E10).
Using fuel with ethanol content over 10% is
forbidden. Using it could result in severe damage of
the engine and motorcycle components. Using fuel
with ethanol content over 10% will make the
warranty null and void

This isn't looking good!

Martin
Only if you drive outside of UK. The most you'll find in fuel here is 5% at the moment, likely to rise to 10% at some point. Regardless of what Ducati say i will be choosing ethanol free from now on. I think once you get over a certain % anyway engine characteristics such as timing etc may need changing.

Indycars in the US use ethanol (as do Drag Racers) and one of the properties is that it burns invisibly. I remember seeing a pit crew jump about like mad men for no apparent reason once. Turned out they were on fire, as was the car and driver! Luckily there were a couple of smart people about who recognised an ethanol fire and started throwing water (the prescribed method for tackling ethanol fires, don't throw water on petrol fires!) No one was seriously hurt so I forgave myself for giggling at what I originally thought was bizarre behaviour!
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #38
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The latest models with plastic tanks in EU and UK but not USA use PEX plastic which is more resistant to ethanol than the older PA6 nylon ,,, most Ducatis since 2008 except USA Should have PEX tanks and so should be OK ,,, USA has 10% ethanol in all fuel ..most UK fuels have only 5% ethanol ,, best to store bikes with non ethanol fuel if possible .....reason USA stil lforced to use PA6 tanks is that USA enviromantalists have banned PEX as it emits fuel vapours by osmosis but its 100% safe ,

Its not only Ducati who have had issues with plastic tanks KTM,BMW , Apprillia etc have all had issues ,Triumph wisely made a decision to go back to steel after a lot of problems when they tried plastic tanks ,,,,,so did HD ...

a few Ducatis in UK have had the warping tank syndrome but are mostly pre 2008 models with plastic tanks ,

if you have steel tank model you dont have to worry , but remember ethenol will gum up carbs ,cause rust and erode rubber parts eventually on all vehicles

Last edited by jerry; 17-10-2013 at 07:04 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #39
DrD

Updated my list to fit with the Dirty info
Here is MAG's take on it: This is why: http://www.yorkshire-mag.co.uk/ethanol.html
Old 17-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #40
jerry
Old Git

New Ducati 899 has a steel tank!!!!!????? and Ducati say its lighter than a plastic tank on on the old 848 model oh and cheaper to manufacture ......gasohol proof too .........so why all the crappy placky tanks ??????
Old 17-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #41
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
New Ducati 899 has a steel tank!!!!!????? and Ducati say its lighter than a plastic tank on on the old 848 model oh and cheaper to manufacture ......gasohol proof too .........so why all the crappy placky tanks ??????
Easier/quicker to produce? I find it hard to believe steel tanks are cheaper?

Last edited by Dirty; 17-10-2013 at 09:31 PM..
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #42
jerry
Old Git

Thailand mandatory introduced gasohol 10% in 2008 but last year reintroduced pure benzine alongside due to massive public anger at problems ,, common sense prevailed in the end .. lets hope it does in UK
Old 19-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #43
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
PEX plastic which is more resistant to ethanol than the older PA6 nylon ,,, most Ducatis since 2008.......

More resistant does not mean proofed against.
I wouldn't buy any sort of plastic tanked bike, steel or alloy tanks, or nothing.
I would also like Ducati to assure us it will help when all this starts to affect us but I suspect they'll whistle loudly while sticking their fingers in their ears
Old 19-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #44
jerry
Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
More resistant does not mean proofed against.
I wouldn't buy any sort of plastic tanked bike, steel or alloy tanks, or nothing.
I would also like Ducati to assure us it will help when all this starts to affect us but I suspect they'll whistle loudly while sticking their fingers in their ears
Dave i totally agree Alloy or Steel=GOOD , plastic tanks not proven as being Ethanol proof over long term = BAD
Old 19-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #45
perkles

i just filled up with texaco high octane am i going melt now ?