UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » New Generation vs Old Generation Monsters

Old 01-03-2010, 07:26 PM   #31
Pomp1

Seeing the Motocorse version made me change idea about the new monster, the under-engine exhaust gives it that little bit more balance IMO, the success of the old monster I think was a lot to do with being able to change and swap parts from other bikes and the wealth of accessories that came out in the long life span of the bike. I think Ducati once more have been ahead of the styling curve, with a bike 4/5 years ahead of others in terms of design. Surely some design clues will appeals to some rather than others, but is a fine piece both in terms of engineering and style.
The only critic I would move to Ducati was to do the Streetfighter rather than a S4-like engined Monster.
Would I buy one? no if it means selling mine, but I understand why people that own one like them so much, is a worthy successor.
Still, the OP will have a much clearer idea now...not.

Last edited by Pomp1; 01-03-2010 at 07:29 PM..
Old 01-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #32
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I had the money for a streetfighter S. It isnt a Monster so I didnt by it. By Katos Law it probably is a Monster as it has the complete trellis frame unlike the New Monster and the ultimate Desmosedici which also has a V4 or L4 engine and not the norm.

What I never liked about the new monster was the exhaust over the engine and will change it. I never liked the headlight until I used it and when viewed on it looks round.

It does look tall the 1100 but thats to my advantage. My s4 dragged its ar$e as did the m900. They were truly great bikes otherwise I wouldn't be on my 3rd Monster of three evolutions.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #33
StuartJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I hate these threads. They get all taken out of context. It seems to be we are not allowed to move on in things even though our bike makers Ducati produce a new shaped monster. Its the same concept but more nimble and powerful just like what you would expect in the real monster world. Its leaner and not necessarily better looking in all departments but as the word says its a MONSTER not a Barbie doll.

A monster is any fictional dangerous or hideous creature, usually in legend or horror fiction. The word monster derives from the latin word monstrum, meaning "omen", from the root of monere ("to warn") and also meaning "prodigy" or "miracle".

The word connotes something wrong or evil; a monster is generally morally objectionable, physically or psychologically hideous, and/or a freak of nature. It can also be applied figuratively to a person with similar characteristics.

I love old monsters and old bikes as much as you all to the fact I have a 1995 600ss now for a very good price. Now thats Pretty.

Lets get over this and try to help someone choose the path they may want to go down. I would love to have my m900 and s4 in the garage too but fact is I wouldn't ride them but just look a drool over them. The 1100s does it all and better than the s4 other than the more grunt. Just 6 hp down.

Long Live the Monsters all of them

Awesome photos, awesome bike. Wish I had an 1100!
The new Monsters are stunning to look at, the ride is perfect, handling fantastic and the chics love them. Unless you're Casey or Rossi there's nothing it between old and new Monsters, as it's the rider that makes the bike fast.

I have a 696 and have no worries about keeping up and passing bigger bikes. There's nothing wrong with the new engine, yes it could be better, but it's much improved over the previous models.

Having said that, there are some classics that will always be hard to beat, the Chrome special editions, Alien Monster, S4RS, and Diegos bike is timeless...rock n roll dude
Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #34
Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJames View Post
Diegos bike is timeless...rock n roll dude
cheers fella..dont forget the Matrix edition LOL
Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #35
Thirdway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
That's rich coming from someone who started their earlier reply with "Never heard such a lot of baloney"
That's exactly right.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #36
animaluk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
I dont like the 848,1098 or 1198 either they look like Hondas ...but 999 YUMMY !
999 yummy ????? to the back of the class young man and finish your lines

Like the old monster find the new ones a bit small, as for the watercooled debate had to be done as tuno,speed triple,hornet,brutale where stealing there sales as the old 900 just did'nt cut it in the performace stakes (not a slight on the 900 i love em)

999 uneversally hated as an ugly bike (though lucky it performed on the race track), from a company that made the best looking sports bike of all time (916/996/998)

848,1098,1198 are things of lust just ride one the are just awsome

but what ever your happy with go for it (oh in my opinion the streetfighter is somthing else entirely) that is the latest shot at the supernaked market which again has left ducati behind
Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #37
JMo

I can see where Jerry is coming from with the 999 - sure it's not pretty, but he did say Yummy not Pretty...

I agree the 916 is beautiful - as Animal says, perhaps the prettiest sports-bike of all time, but the 999 is far more distinctive, and in time (perhaps that time is now?) will be regarded as one of Ducati's defining machines - it's dominance in WSB has set the (sporting arm of the) company up for the International recognition and success it enjoys today? - I would even suggest that without the (sporting) success of the 999, I doubt Ducati would have been able to secure the level of sponsorship for their MotoGP programme in quite the same way?

As for the current generation of sports bikes (1198 etc) - I think Animal has hit the nail on the head - they've been designed to compete with the competition... but conversely, have not set any particular standard of their own?

J xx

ps. and the new Monsters look like toys... fun toys I admit, but there is less elegance and more purpose to them - a bit like the 999 in fact?!
Old 02-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #38
Pomp1

999, another bike which was years ahead of its time.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #39
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Been keeping out of this (Although finding it a very good and interesting read, I love how this forum can talk about things like this without it descending in to anarchy)...

Have to say though, I'm a fan of the 999, hoping to get myself one in a few years time, always wanted one, love em to bits!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #40
animaluk

Smile

yes the 999 is a fantastic ride just was never sold on the looks. I think this was partly cause I was a massive foggy fan thus wanted a 916

But as pointed out and what i was getting at the 999 dominated WSB like no other bike, The 1098's 1198's will carve out there own way in time

916/996/998

This video explains quite well why it was so important

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6K2CUdqURg

But with out the monster the company would not be anymore it is the bike that saved them, as the saying goes behind every ducati superbike is a legion of monster !!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #41
Scott1

I like them both, they had to progress really didn't they, I mean what next after the S4RS Testrawatsit.

I think the new design looks so much better in the flesh than in pics, I parked my old 600 next to a 696 the other day, which to be honest is the bike I would really like if I had any cash but they both look better than most other bikes you see around, the old one is slightly more distinctive but then I bet it doesn't break down every time it rains, personally I'd have one of each.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #42
JMo

Hee hee - and it was beaten by the Honda Cub! - are Discovery out of their minds?!

Great video though...

J x
Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #43
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
916,996 ,998 = beautiful
749,999= more beautiful

1098,848,1198 =Bland but nice .
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #44
He11cat

If you want performance and sportyness superbike buy one of the 999, 916's or 1098's.

If you want charecture something you can adapt , customise I guess and make your own buy a monster.

Different breed of bikes I feel..

The sporty models are growing on me but I would opt for a Superlight myself.
This is not to say some of the bigger Monny's don't offer performance at all , I hope you get what I mean.

However you could park 10 red 999's in a row and it would take a while to spot your mates bike lol.

Park a row of Monsters up and most would not be the same.
I love the diversity of this site , and the fact most bikes have been adapted , tweeked or what have you,so most are different to each other.

I must say the ride on some of those bikes probably awesome...
I just couldn't have a bike that I couldn't do much with looks wise had to stay plain and well you know what I mean!!....

Plus I am one of the few who like yellow Dukes..ok ok I know!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #45
Scootaboy

I dont quite go with that arguement - you could customise a honda c90 as much as an old monster, doesn't mean it's better

Or you could customise a new monster as much as an old monster - well almost but you will be able to without a doubt in the next few years.