UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » New Generation vs Old Generation Monsters

Old 28-02-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
LeMarsu

New Generation vs Old Generation Monsters

Hi!

Some of you may remember me! I has a couple of the Old Gen of Monsters, I was wondering how do the new ones compare to old ones? Ride/Engine/Maintenance/Value/etc

During my absence form these waters I have been riding a BMW K1200r, this has been a great bike but my day to day journey is now mostly town. If I am going to come back to a monster it is going to be a M1100 S with ABS.

Thanks

LeMarsu
Old 28-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I love mine.Had 2 old school m900 and s4 916. They were and are fond memories and regretful sales but I fancied moving on to something new. It had to be special to tempt me and it ticked all the boxes.Power and handling is great. Lighter than anything I have had. I cant actually ride for toffee but the bike is friendly. Two up is effortless and that is where I had the biggest dilemma to face.The comfort is great with the touring seat but you will notice you get thrown into the tank more as the rideing position is more over the tank.

Mine is due its first service in June so not sure on price.

No defects arisen in the 9 months of ownership. Not had that oil leak a few have had.

Bikes easy to clean being a mono sider.
Brakes are good and not touched suspension at all.

Value.
1100 engine,Ohlins front and rear and some carbon
Mine was a new bargain and I doubt anyone will beat it. £8450 otr.
Haggle for a deal if you fancy one or a nearly new one. I was going to buy the demo for £8300 but he didnt want to sell it in the end.
Go and test ride one for an hour at least. You will smile but if its not your thing you will know. Various people have ridden mine and said WOW !!! but I reckon they are happy with old school. I wish I could have both but I know which one I would ride. The 1100S would win.

Last edited by Albie; 28-02-2010 at 09:06 AM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
In my opinion there is no comparison to be made, as the so called new generation are NOT and should never have been called Monsters, now should you consider a new one and then set about changing the frame, swingarm, seat, exhaust, tank and headlight, you might end up with some thing approaching a real Monster, my advice would be if its a Monster you really want then by a proper one and give it a bigger engine if the 1100 appeals.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
slob

Don't sit on the fence Rob!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Hi Sami - long time no speak mister!

Dont listen to Kato - he's just a grumpy old grouch that spends more time in his garage than getting out & riding anywhere these days .....

Go & have a test on the 1100 (or the 696) - its more nimble than the 'mid' generation Monsters & has far far more grunt than the comparable models in the 1st generation Monsters. Your 800ie for example is not as nimble or as responsive as the current 696 - and they also both put out the same rwbhp approx - and both outdo the M900 carbies (as stock) for performance.

Must catch up this summer old bean - take care

CK
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
southfrance

I ride an M695, if I could go out tomorrow and buy any bike it would be the M1100, it's fantastic. One thing I really like are the new bars and steering, it feels somewear between a Hyper and the older Monster, really light and flickable. The 95hp's are all I need, especially with that awesome torque, for day to day riding and it devours the twistys. With the Termi's fitted it turns into the devil him/her self , I remember describing it as " like sitting on a giant sex toy " in one of my more spirited reviews. The only thing I would change is the seat from the standard slightly slippery one to the more grippy touring seat. Go on, you know you'll love it !

SF
Old 28-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Thirdway

Well this is my first Monster, a nice red 1100S. I hardly gave a glance to the previous generation Monsters and I remember seeing an early 900 while shopping for a BMW GS and it just looked dated and a bit folorn.

I did look at the S2R and quite liked it but never enough to buy. My eye was drawn to the 916 for looks or the Uglistrada as the sensible option. Neither gave me the idea that they would be sensible buys because of the reputation for sky high servicing and poor reliability.

The new Monster range was the first time I had even considered buying one. I was in the shop buying a new Street Triple when I came across the 696 and thought 'hmm that looks great, very slim, nicely up to date and well built'. It stuck in my mind just how slim it looked, more FS1E than the usual bikes (I mean that in a good way). The impression was of a lithe, easy to ride bike with great style and build quality.......something missing from the early generation IMO as they just looked really old fashioned.

That impression stayed with me while I was riding the Striple for a couple of years and fancied a change. In the back of my mind was the idea of buying the bigger Monster, although sanity was moving me towards a Fireblade . It was only the dealer who knows me well enough that suggested I would be bored with the Fireblade after a few months. I tentatively suggested my thoughts about the Monster, I was almost embarassed to mention the bike as it was so far away from the bikes I normally ride. The dealer grinned and said 'perfect' and had just bought an 1100S for himself

So that was that. I bought it their and then, touring seat and all and I absolutely love it. Never touched the suspension, added a Oberon clutch actuator (don't really think I needed it but such is the fetish of Monster Modifications we all seem to know so well). Would consider some rear sets as the passenger peg arm looks a bit 'forth bridge' and quite like the Leo Vinci stainless slip on cans.

Now, looking back after owning one for a few months I understand them a lot better and I can see that an old generation bike isn't the thing I once thought it was. I still prefer the newer model - which IMO is every inch a Monster as it sticks to the less is more philosophy while having a subtle update and some welcome modifications-but that doesn't stop me appreciating the old model either and had I known what I know now, then I might have had one earlier.

My only thought is that aircooled = Monster and watercooled =something else. The monster is about stripped back simplicity and as long as it retains those elements it's a Monster.
Old 28-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
Jan (Belgium)

Hello,

Got myself an 1100S last year in november,
Haven't driven it yet, since I was recovering from a collarbone fracture and all snow and ice during winter. before I had an M800.

The old one was defenately easier to work on yourself, the new one on the other hand is more finished. Wires are cleaner, etc... on the new one, but they are more hidden. simple example is changing the rear indicators to led units. With the old monster you just had to lift the saddle grab the wire and change the indicators whereas with the new one, lift the saddle and there's nothing, you need to remove some covers first before you fin the wires. Same with tha battery, on the old one: lift the fuel tank and there you have the battery. On the new one you need to remove 23 (yes 23) bolts before you can even get to the battery.

Albie, I think I'm pretty close to what you paid: 10.500 € for mine including Termi system and tail tidy. (and it has only 670km!!!!)
Old 28-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Depends what you call old and new monsters, it might be that first, second and third generation would be better?
Based on my 3-400 ish miles a week in all weathers

1st gen up to 2000ish (600, 750, 900).. My 2000/2001 750 would be that. Fueling is by carbs otherwise same as same as really. The motor feels a bit snappier than the IE I had, handling is pretty much the same. Fuel economy maybe slightly better than the later IE.
No problem reliability wise other than odds related to a broken wire (fixed in 5 before I scooted off to work one morning) but hey it had experienced 10 years of flexing so really not so bad.

2nd gen post 2000/2001 (620, 750, 900).. My 750IE would have been that. Fueling was injection, never had any problems with it apart from the rubbish clock system. Handling not much changed over the previous version.
If it wasn't for my experience with the clocks I'd say no problems reliability wise.
Parts costs and availaibility not any notivable difference

3rd gen would be anything from around about now ish I guess or when the engine sizes moved on from the old 600/620, 750, 900 formula or they become less classic monster design, dumpy trellis etc.

Oh and those water cooled things get a category of their own should we call it an 'interesting diversion' ?? LOL

Last edited by Nickj; 28-02-2010 at 01:37 PM..
Nickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Nickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdway View Post
sanity was moving me towards a Fireblade .
170 ish top end, between 150 and 170 bhp depending on year model is sanity??

Smooth ride though but typical UJM
Old 28-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
ladybird

The new ones don't have a nice face or tank or arse.
Not having ridden any of them I can't say much more than that.
Old 28-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
Thirdway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
170 ish top end, between 150 and 170 bhp depending on year model is sanity??

Smooth ride though but typical UJM
Thats why the

Dealer said........"fantastic bike, fast, smooth, easy handling, great brakes, good ride quality, almost perfection. Not for you, it would end up sitting in your garage while you found something else to do". He knows me pretty well. Many times he had pushed me towards a Duc and I ended up with KTM 950SM, BMW 1100GS, Streeet Triple, Speed Triple and Fazer 1000.
Old 28-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
He11cat

I don't like the look of the new ones sorry....
I like the big headlight and I like my metal tank... and I am a stick in the mud..
I recall seeing the first ones out and thinking I likey...

There are very few "new" bikes I like to be honest.
But I am not expert to be fair and tend to trundle everywhere....
Visually I like the oldies but goodies...
Old 28-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Nickj

Quote:
Originally Posted by He11cat View Post
I don't like the look of the new ones sorry....
Visually I like the oldies but goodies...
Hahahaha That'll be me then cept for the good bit

And you have to feel happy to be seen on what you've got
Old 28-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #15
Diego

Its looks vs performance. This, ofcourse, all basked in an subjective teint. By your comments its clear to old gen lovers (including moi) you want the latter LOL...

p.s. as NickJ stated above....as long as you're the one happy with it.

Last edited by Diego; 28-02-2010 at 08:18 PM..