UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Let the metamorphosis begin...Project Juan is GO!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
neilbaldry

you mean ED, your going to France, to play on a massive helicopter computer game! proper bo!
Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaldry View Post
you mean ED, your going to France, to play on a massive helicopter computer game! proper bo!
Yes OK, it is basically the ultimate Nintendo Wii but a lot more stressfull. I shall be in it again at 5am tomorrow morning for another fours hours of fun and games (aka emergencies, diabolical weather and system failures, to name but a few of the hidden surprises we have to deal with), arguably not as enticing as the Wii's interpretation of baseball, tennis or fishing. Just remember to use the lanyard on the hand controllers though, as Nonnie tells me there are loads of smashed TVs on Fleabay where people have let go unintentionally and it's hit the screen (ouch! £££££)
Old 08-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #18
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Stop griping, you're in Marseille without your wife or kids.

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #19
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Well folks. Sorry for the delay in any updates, been a bit busy. As of today all but the last few parts are ready to go back on the bike. The list of mods is growing but I have finally reached the stage where the bike is starting to resemble a motorbike again. Pretty comprehensive stripdown I am honest, which apart from the frame and swingarm ended up involving the whole bike (much more than originally intended!)

To date the list of mods is quite extensive but include....

Silver nickel plating virtually every single fastener or part that showed any signs of corrosion, including the front and rear wheel axles and nuts, fuel tank bracket, seat cowl brackets, footrest hangar bolts, side stand and bracket to name but a few. In total well over 200 parts were plated (if you really can be bothered then PM me for a full list) and they have come up a treat!! Next was the full exhaust system and clamps which has been lovingly polished. Top and bottom yoke, swing arm end plates, fork bottoms and footrest hangars, brake pedal, gear change pedal, actuating arm and linkages plus a myriad of other bits have all gone off to be powder coated, along with the rear sprocket carrier too. Both front and rear wheels have also received the same treatment, as well as new rear cush drive rubbers and bearings and new polished stainless steel front disc rotor bolts. A considerable number of other fasteners have also been replaced with polished stainless steel items. New front steel and alloy rear sprockets and gold DID chain are also ready to fit, plus lashings of numerous billet alloy parts too numerous to mention. Once all this lot get fitted as well as a host of new carbon fibre parts (including a very hard to come by and even harder to fit headlight bowl) then it is simply a matter of waiting for the fuel tank, seat cowl and front mudguard to come back from the airbrush artist (Nonnie has complete carte blanche here, as to the final design) and I will finally be on the home run!

I am at an impasse now waiting for bits to come back so as I can start reassembling the whole bike but until then here are a few tasty shots. Even nickel plated the chain rubbing guide bolts. A lot of the work will doubtless go unappreciated as it is unseen (largely hidden components) but the end result will I hope speak for itself. The only other major components to be changed are the handlebars, mirrors, indicators, grips and bar ends, which I have already sourced but are on order. The colour scheme of the bike will be self evident once I post up the final shots. Oh and did I mention the tail chop!

Incidentally dont be alarmed by the oil on the bricks in one of the pictures that are temporarily helping to prop up the front of bike, in the absence of a front end. The forward cylinder head valve cover was also up for replacement as it had signs of corrosion and when removed Juan "bled" a little oil over them, that had collected behind the cover. All in all for a machine that has done over 10,000 miles it is in remarkably good nick and now, will I hope, end up being better than new, with no faults or blemishes anywhere. It helps to be a fastidious bastard like me as well! Roll on next week. More pics to follow, as and when I make a considerable leap in the whole process. Right now the bike looks a bit forlorn but not for long.

Last edited by emily's driver; 19-01-2008 at 10:14 PM..
emily's driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #20
neilbaldry

Bloody hell Rod, that bike looks immaculate! So very shiny! So very clean! I am aghast to the job you've done so far. Well done good sir, well done!
Old 20-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #21
Scotty

you keeping the stickers on ? the chain adjustment guide one in perticular
Old 20-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #22
barbican

Looks fantastic cant wait to see the finished article
Old 20-01-2008, 10:47 AM   #23
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
you keeping the stickers on ? the chain adjustment guide one in perticular

I think so for now. Might change me mind later.
Old 20-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #24
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbican View Post
Looks fantastic cant wait to see the finished article

Thanks Barbican, still a long way to go but looking forward to seeing the end result.
Old 20-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #25
Bodybag

Excellent work Rod. You must have leaked a lot of oil cos there's none showing in the sight glass.
Old 20-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #26
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybag View Post
Excellent work Rod. You must have leaked a lot of oil cos there's none showing in the sight glass.
Oil level sight glass on the other side - that ones for setting the timing marks

Nice job Rod - can't see those downpipes staying that immaculate though?
Old 20-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #27
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Yes, Woddy is doing very well. He's done a lot of work already especially all those 200 plus bolty type things (I mean, what the hell are they for anyway?). I am looking forward to the interior decoration type thing when the technical stuff is over with, you know, choosing colours. I think I know what the paint scheme will be.

I have to say, every time I go into the garage, I feel a little sad seeing Juan in so many pieces and I do miss riding right now.

So far, everything going on is v. v. shiny.

Nonnie the Magpie

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Looking good both of you. Mines almost engine out this afternoon. Pics later on my thread. BTW how much to get shiney parts done.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #29
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post
So far, everything going on is v. v. shiny.

Nonnie the Magpie
I am most envious, I won't use the word "jealous" such a negative word, however, shiny pipes are my weakness.

Mand xx
Old 22-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #30
benson

Shiny pipes - hmmm - are they legal???