UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Let the metamorphosis begin...Project Juan is GO!

Old 30-11-2007, 09:23 AM   #1
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Bike: S4Rs
Let the metamorphosis begin...Project Juan is GO!

Picture in your minds the unforgettable image of Nonnies "Disco Diva" 620ie at Arrow Mill a few years back, as that is the last you will see of her beloved bike in it's current form. Today sees the start of Juan's metamorphosis.

These are just a selection of the items to be removed in the makeover process (and so as not to give too much away, let's just say there will be a lot of painting, sawing, anodizing and polishing going on, plus a healthy dose of replacement parts being fitted)........

Seat cowl, fuel tank, nose fairing, front mudguard, rear light, tea tray, number plate mount and indicators, complete exhaust system, footrest hangars and all linkages, top yoke, mirrors, handlebars, frame side covers, cam belt covers, headlight, headlight mounting brackets, "Puss In Boots" and the infamous "Glitter Ball". The latter two will feature later I have no doubt. I have certainly got a lot on my plate and there are numerous other parts to come off, be modified or replaced as well. With any luck all this lot should end up back on the bike or not as the case may be, with the aim of producing a revived and very unique Juan "The sequel" version, hopefully in time for Arrow Mill. As Nonnie has carte blanche on the design, it is anyone's guess what the outcome will be but it will be unmistakeably her own! Can't wait!!

I will endeavour to keep you all posted as to the progress of "Project Juan" and post up pics as and when. Until then amigos.........

Last edited by emily's driver; 30-11-2007 at 09:26 AM..
emily's driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #2
gremlin

if you need anything made, try this chap, hes just down the road from you http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...156#post233156
Old 30-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
if you need anything made, try this chap, hes just down the road from you http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...156#post233156
I will bear him in mind, should the need arise.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
Bodybag

Hey ED, as I read that, all I could think about was the scene in Monty Pythons "Holy Grail" where you can hear them building the giant rabbit in the woods. I don't know whay that image came into my head but it made me s****** anyway.

Good luck with Juan and Nonnie. I guess she'll be the Executive Producer to your Stage Hand.
Old 14-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #5
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodybag View Post
Hey ED, as I read that, all I could think about was the scene in Monty Pythons "Holy Grail" where you can hear them building the giant rabbit in the woods. I don't know whay that image came into my head but it made me s****** anyway.

Good luck with Juan and Nonnie. I guess she'll be the Executive Producer to your Stage Hand.
Thanks Bodybag.

Well here goes with the first round of images. This is Juan as he is now.....Yikes!!!! Bar one or two small items, (cam belt covers, steering stem centre nut, swingarm end plates, ignition lock cover, chain and sprockets) the strip down is almost complete. So far I have removed countless parts and well over a hundred fasteners, all packaged now and ready to go off to the various platers, the anodizers and the polishers, as well as numerous other items to go off to the paintshop.

This exhaustive list does NOT include Nonnies shopping list for new parts on order....molto bling factor!!! Here are the photos anyway. More info to follow as and when.

Last edited by emily's driver; 14-12-2007 at 10:14 PM..
Old 14-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Rod..what was the damage on the floor and do you rate it?..been looking at those tiles on fleabay.
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
Johnnyg

If you are replacing the top yoke, I would be interested in buying your original one...
Old 14-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
SazzaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoy View Post
Rod..what was the damage on the floor and do you rate it?..been looking at those tiles on fleabay.
Not wanting to hijack or anything, but we've just had some tiles put in our garage. I think they're different to Rod's ones, but they're durable rubber jigsaw type things, with bobbles on. One brand name is Dura, we've used Ecotile.

Very very easy to install (no glue required) and we're very happy so far (although the bikes aren't back in there yet). Let me know if you want more info Nat.
Old 15-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #9
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

The tiles are made by Racedeck. I had them imported from the US. Expensive but they are pretty indestructible, providing you dont drag or gouge anything metallic into them. They can take up to 20,000lbs in weight in any one area. The best thing is, if you move or need to take them up for any reason they just clip and un-clip together. I had to cut the red border tiles to size but they are easy to cut using a decent jigsaw. I have only to put the black skirting around the edge to finish it off. Like a laminate floor you need to leave an expansion gap around the edge but otherwise the whole job took me two days. If you want more info look at their website. www.racedeck.com. They have a floor designer on there. You simply choose the design you want, input the dimensions of your garage and it works out what you need. I only know of one other company called "SwissTrax" who have a distributor in Ireland, who make a similar product, but they are marginally more expensive. I looked at loads of other companies but Racedeck were the only ones who made a product I was happy with. If you want any more help then PM me.
Old 15-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyg View Post
If you are replacing the top yoke, I would be interested in buying your original one...
Hmm not sure yet, as the Rizoma option was rejected by Nonnie, so it might mean keeping the stock item, but some modification being done to it, so for now I will be keeping it.
Old 15-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #11
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoy View Post
PM me for more info. Have posted up some details on this thread.
Old 15-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
where's my hack saw?

Oooh look at those frame tubes hanging out in the breeze

Just begging for the Chop Chop!

Last edited by gary tompkins; 15-12-2007 at 05:15 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

I cant divulge all that is planned Gary, but rest assured, Juan will bear little resemblance to its former state!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
emily's driver
Full Metal Tea Bag

Well folks progress is slow but several key mods have already been made. At present I am waiting on parts to come back from the polishers, platers and anodisers. The front wheel is yet to come off but that is the last of the disassembly planned. Today I completely rewired the entire (well almost) wiring loom in self amalgamating tape, (mostly the alarm loom) as I hate cheap electrical insulating tape and it looks like such a bodge job otherwise. The tail end has been chopped (courtesy of Jmo's kit) but more of that later. I promise to take some piccies when I get back from France (I am off to Marseille for my 6 monthly simulator check) but when I get back I will endeavour to post up some up to date info as well. Nonnie woke up on Xmas morning to a sea of presents though I think she was less impressed when most of then turned out to be ergal alloy, carbon fibre and new shiny parts for Juan II ("the avenger"), but I did redeem myself by leaving a completely non bike related prezzie until last. A comprehensive list of mods in progress and those completed will be winging it's way to you shortly readers. Anyway I have to get up at 0400am tomorrow to leave for work so I am signing off now. Watch this space!!

Last edited by emily's driver; 06-01-2008 at 09:54 PM..
Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
benson

I'm watching and can't wait to see the avenger unveiled!!! Safe trip to Marseille and happy simulations!
xxx