View Single Post
Old 16-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #1
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Reluctance to restart when hot

Secundus (the newer of my 696s) has developed an irritating tendency to refuse to re-start when hot. First time was after I'd stalled at traffic lights, and it has now done it at least twice after I'd stopped to fill up with fuel.

Push the starter button and there's the kind of feeble wheeze that suggests the battery is on its last legs.

Leave it around 10 minutes, push the button again, and it will start as happily as it ever does.

Andy has probed all electrical connections with a multimeter (from battery, to starter motor). The starter has a good connection with the battery.

The battery is apparently charging ok, so we don't think it's an alternator/reg-rec gremlin.

I think the battery might be the original (the bike is 9 years old) so wonder whether it is worth replacing anyway. The bike lives plugged into the Optimate when not in use.

I therefore wonder whether something is seizing/jamming when hot, but after coooling down, whatever it is is unsticking. Could I have a dodgy starter motor?

Worth replacing the starter motor? (Andy replaced the starter motor on Primus a few years ago, and even has the special home made tool. I've even found the thread http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56223)

Anything else worth investigating before I stock up on chocolate chips, nuts and lasagne ingredients to pay Andy for a couple of horrible oily days in the garage replacing the starter motor?
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote