PDA

View Full Version : Tail Chops: Don't be afraid!

Rufus-T-Firefly
26-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Hello everyone, I'm a new member and this is my first post, I hope it may put some minds at rest. I've noticed some debate in the past with regard to tail chops - do it! don't do it! scared to do it, etc etc.. I'm currently in the process of chopping the tail off my 97 M750 and I can't really see what all the fuss is about. This modification retains the original seat lock and can be reverted back to stock condition easily, so don't go getting your knickers in a twist about it!
I've not used anything but basic tools and skills and bits I had lying around the garage, anyone with a hacksaw, file, drill and vice could do this. I'm also looking at the possibility of utilising the cut ends of the frame tubes to mount the number plate brackets - this is one of 3 numberplate bracket options I'm considering at the moment, i'll try at least 2 and pick the one that looks best. If anyone is interested in any further details please let me know, if enough people are interested I'll produce some pictures and drawings to help guide you through the process.

A Yerbury
26-10-2004, 04:59 PM
Dr Jenny is the resident consultant although more reseach on this routine op is always appreciated.
AY (chopped)

Billy Bigwheels
26-10-2004, 05:11 PM
The "fuss" is about whether the Monster looks better with or without it's tail not on how it's done :o

PaulS
26-10-2004, 05:21 PM
I fail to see how a bike "can be reverted back to stock condition easily" once you're taken a hacksaw to the frame. I don't think most people would consider seamlessly welding the tubes back on and invisibly re-spraying over the welded area as "easy".

A Yerbury
26-10-2004, 06:27 PM
it is easy to weld and doesnt really need to be sprayed, (halfords rover gold 4 quid a can) it just holds a piece of plastic so no strain as its not an integral part of the frame, rather an unsightly add on (the 888 had no tail)

marchesini
26-10-2004, 07:21 PM
I fail to see how a bike "can be reverted back to stock condition easily" once you're taken a hacksaw to the frame. I don't think most people would consider seamlessly welding the tubes back on and invisibly re-spraying over the welded area as "easy".

To be perfectly honest, unless you have just been run over by the Monster, the rear frame is barely visible. You don't need to weld or respray the frame but obviously that is an option.

When I put the tail back on, I used a bit of aluminium / stainless steel tubing from B&Q inside the existing frame which held the chopped frame in place. The angle of the chopped tail also holds it in place and just to make doubly certain it wasn't going anywhere, I added a couple of self tapping screws which go through both parts of the frame. Once the teatray is back in position, unless you where looking for it, I doubt you would be any the wiser.

I am waiting for the person who goes to chop his / her teatray off to put a post saying "hey, mine is held in place by some screws, is this normal?"
:twisted: As Alex has already pointed out, the teatray part of the frame is not stressed in any way. My month old S4R will be going the same way in about a week :eek: :eek:

best regards

simon

A Yerbury
26-10-2004, 07:32 PM
mine was held in place by screws? is this special? in fact why dutwati dont make them like that in the first place is beyond even my genetically modified cortex.......

PaulS
26-10-2004, 07:59 PM
Alex - you may find it easy to weld but their are people in this club that ask for advice about adjusting their chain...

Marchesini - next time I'm buying a secondhand monster I'll be sure to look out for bodged re-tailing jobs!

Based on the tone of Rufus-T-Firefly's original post I felt it only fair to point out that to state that this modification can be EASILY undone to revert the bike back to STOCK condition was a little optimistic to say the least. Has anyone ever done any research on the effect on resale values of chopping your tail?

Richard_S
26-10-2004, 08:01 PM
personally i like to think of butterflies instead :confused:

its all good.

A Yerbury
26-10-2004, 08:11 PM
"Alex - you may find it easy to weld but their are people in this club that ask for advice about adjusting their chain..."

they will be dead by dawn.

its all mediocre.
AY.xx

A Yerbury
26-10-2004, 08:16 PM
as for research look at ebay, you buy any monst any bike/car for that matter and you are loosing £££££££££big time. tail mod or otherwise. why worry, buyers are thick. they dont want your termigs, belly pans, paint jobs billet rear sets etc. mine is for fun and merriment, its not a f*****g ISA or premium bond.

marchesini
27-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Based on the tone of Rufus-T-Firefly's original post I felt it only fair to point out that to state that this modification can be EASILY undone to revert the bike back to STOCK condition was a little optimistic to say the least. Has anyone ever done any research on the effect on resale values of chopping your tail?

If someone was able to chop off a tail and remount the lights/indicators etc, I would say they are technically able to EASILY remount the chopped tail. I wouldn't say that it is EASILY chopped or re-tailed by everyone and anybody but more of those who don't mind getting their hands dirty.

As to the resale value, I've never understood that thinking. Buy that colour because it's more popular so will sell better in the second hand market, don't do that because you'll lose value - most Monster owners customise their bike in someway and regardless of your mods, you will not even come close to getting back what you paid for it. That's why the best policy is to sell the bike as standard and sell any aftermarket parts separately. I know it's getting off the point a bit but I will personalise my bike so that I like it for the time that I have it and not really worry about whether prospective buyers will like it. I had a yellow car in the past and that sold really quickly despite everyone saying that no-one would buy it - I wonder if anyone has told Mr Wonder that his car is not a metallic black yet??

Best regards

simon

A Yerbury
27-10-2004, 09:48 AM
I aggree with everyone allways. you know mr Wonder? cool!

Rufus-T-Firefly
27-10-2004, 12:51 PM
Please note: The word "weld" was never mentioned! By some happy coincidence, those internally expanding thingys that clamp brush guards to the end of the bars on your enduro bike fit snugly up your new hole! If you are careful where you cut the frame and you have the ability to use a file and a hacksaw and you are able to tighten an allen screw, or have a boyfriend or girlfriend who can do this for you, then you have nowt to worry about.

Dark-Jon
27-10-2004, 01:07 PM
"Alex - you may find it easy to weld but their are people in this club that ask for advice about adjusting their chain..."

they will be dead by dawn.

its all mediocre.
AY.xx

chain adjusting....dead by dawn you say....hmm, looks like I have a lot to fit in by then :eek:

Dark-Jon

"Chain adjusting? is that the big spanner??"

Albie
27-10-2004, 04:45 PM
it is easy to weld and doesnt really need to be sprayed, (halfords rover gold 4 quid a can) it just holds a piece of plastic so no strain as its not an integral part of the frame, rather an unsightly add on (the 888 had no tail)
Off the point sort of. Is that paint a good match to frame on most goldy monsters as mine either needs A1 colour match or be stripped and resprayed.Do you know of almost perfect code. :confused:

A Yerbury
27-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Julie (the one paired with blah de blah) used some on hers a while back, looked very good indeed. I belive it was rover but dont know the exact code. yours would look best black though! I saw some touch up paint on ebay for monsters but whether it was the tank red or a frame gold I cant remember. How rubbish am I?!

Albie
27-10-2004, 05:16 PM
Theres a guy on dsc site had his powdercoated for 40 quid in gloss black. Looked real nice plus 30 for shotblasting. So looks like in a couple of weeks time for stripdown.

A Yerbury
27-10-2004, 09:40 PM
the paranoia brigade will disapprove of PC on frames as worse case scenario the frame gets a fracture, but will not be visible through the coat. But thats life, we all know the odds and if we paid that much attention we would all be wrapped snug in volvos...

Albie
27-10-2004, 09:59 PM
So do you think I should get just sprayed then. Seriously mind :eek: I want it to look good if im selling it. Dont want people to think its a cover up just deserves to look good. :D

marchesini
28-10-2004, 09:43 AM
So do you think I should get just sprayed then. Seriously mind :eek: I want it to look good if im selling it. Dont want people to think its a cover up just deserves to look good. :D

I really wouldn't bother Albie - unless you are going to strip the bike yourself, you are talking a lot of time and money. If you can mask the offending area and respray would be a better use of your readies. I am getting my frame resprayed in the next couple of weeks but I am intending on keeping my bike for at least a couple of years so don't mind spending the money.

Having spent a little money and a fair bit of elbow grease shining the bike up for the herd of fighting punters for my S4, I got absolutely no interest whatsoever. It wasn't a bargain but certainly wasn't overpriced and ended up getting a much better deal by trading in. The S4R hasn't been a great sales success so maybe that's why I got a good deal but the dealer wasn't interested in any of the extras either so I managed to get another £400 on top of the £4000 by selling the pipes and other bits separately. Much more than I could of ever got by selling my bike privately.

Unless the rest of your bike is absolutely immaculate and the frame is letting it down then perhaps but that would mean low miles, no corroded footrest hangers, no flakey engine paint, no scratches anywhere and even then people will try to knock you down. Good luck on selling it whatever you try to do.

Best regards

simon

A Yerbury
28-10-2004, 09:51 AM
were you going to strip the bike yourself Albie? I just masked and sprayed mine. If I had assess to a time machine I would look into spray gun and 2pack route but for 20 quid and a weekend of spraying Im happy with the results (black touches up easily)