UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Tail Chops: Don't be afraid!

Old 26-10-2004, 04:50 PM   #1
Rufus-T-Firefly

Tail Chops: Don't be afraid!

Hello everyone, I'm a new member and this is my first post, I hope it may put some minds at rest. I've noticed some debate in the past with regard to tail chops - do it! don't do it! scared to do it, etc etc.. I'm currently in the process of chopping the tail off my 97 M750 and I can't really see what all the fuss is about. This modification retains the original seat lock and can be reverted back to stock condition easily, so don't go getting your knickers in a twist about it!
I've not used anything but basic tools and skills and bits I had lying around the garage, anyone with a hacksaw, file, drill and vice could do this. I'm also looking at the possibility of utilising the cut ends of the frame tubes to mount the number plate brackets - this is one of 3 numberplate bracket options I'm considering at the moment, i'll try at least 2 and pick the one that looks best. If anyone is interested in any further details please let me know, if enough people are interested I'll produce some pictures and drawings to help guide you through the process.
Old 26-10-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
A Yerbury

Dr Jenny is the resident consultant although more reseach on this routine op is always appreciated.
AY (chopped)
Old 26-10-2004, 05:11 PM   #3
Billy Bigwheels

The "fuss" is about whether the Monster looks better with or without it's tail not on how it's done
Old 26-10-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
PaulS

I fail to see how a bike "can be reverted back to stock condition easily" once you're taken a hacksaw to the frame. I don't think most people would consider seamlessly welding the tubes back on and invisibly re-spraying over the welded area as "easy".
Old 26-10-2004, 06:27 PM   #5
A Yerbury

it is easy to weld and doesnt really need to be sprayed, (halfords rover gold 4 quid a can) it just holds a piece of plastic so no strain as its not an integral part of the frame, rather an unsightly add on (the 888 had no tail)
Old 26-10-2004, 07:21 PM   #6
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
I fail to see how a bike "can be reverted back to stock condition easily" once you're taken a hacksaw to the frame. I don't think most people would consider seamlessly welding the tubes back on and invisibly re-spraying over the welded area as "easy".
To be perfectly honest, unless you have just been run over by the Monster, the rear frame is barely visible. You don't need to weld or respray the frame but obviously that is an option.

When I put the tail back on, I used a bit of aluminium / stainless steel tubing from B&Q inside the existing frame which held the chopped frame in place. The angle of the chopped tail also holds it in place and just to make doubly certain it wasn't going anywhere, I added a couple of self tapping screws which go through both parts of the frame. Once the teatray is back in position, unless you where looking for it, I doubt you would be any the wiser.

I am waiting for the person who goes to chop his / her teatray off to put a post saying "hey, mine is held in place by some screws, is this normal?"
:twisted: As Alex has already pointed out, the teatray part of the frame is not stressed in any way. My month old S4R will be going the same way in about a week

best regards

simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ex_tail_chop.jpg (82.7 KB, 85 views)
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2004, 07:32 PM   #7
A Yerbury

mine was held in place by screws? is this special? in fact why dutwati dont make them like that in the first place is beyond even my genetically modified cortex.......
Old 26-10-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
PaulS

Alex - you may find it easy to weld but their are people in this club that ask for advice about adjusting their chain...

Marchesini - next time I'm buying a secondhand monster I'll be sure to look out for bodged re-tailing jobs!

Based on the tone of Rufus-T-Firefly's original post I felt it only fair to point out that to state that this modification can be EASILY undone to revert the bike back to STOCK condition was a little optimistic to say the least. Has anyone ever done any research on the effect on resale values of chopping your tail?
Old 26-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #9
Richard_S

personally i like to think of butterflies instead

its all good.
Old 26-10-2004, 08:11 PM   #10
A Yerbury

"Alex - you may find it easy to weld but their are people in this club that ask for advice about adjusting their chain..."

they will be dead by dawn.

its all mediocre.
AY.xx
Old 26-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #11
A Yerbury

as for research look at ebay, you buy any monst any bike/car for that matter and you are loosing £££££££££big time. tail mod or otherwise. why worry, buyers are thick. they dont want your termigs, belly pans, paint jobs billet rear sets etc. mine is for fun and merriment, its not a f*****g ISA or premium bond.
Old 27-10-2004, 08:53 AM   #12
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS
Based on the tone of Rufus-T-Firefly's original post I felt it only fair to point out that to state that this modification can be EASILY undone to revert the bike back to STOCK condition was a little optimistic to say the least. Has anyone ever done any research on the effect on resale values of chopping your tail?
If someone was able to chop off a tail and remount the lights/indicators etc, I would say they are technically able to EASILY remount the chopped tail. I wouldn't say that it is EASILY chopped or re-tailed by everyone and anybody but more of those who don't mind getting their hands dirty.

As to the resale value, I've never understood that thinking. Buy that colour because it's more popular so will sell better in the second hand market, don't do that because you'll lose value - most Monster owners customise their bike in someway and regardless of your mods, you will not even come close to getting back what you paid for it. That's why the best policy is to sell the bike as standard and sell any aftermarket parts separately. I know it's getting off the point a bit but I will personalise my bike so that I like it for the time that I have it and not really worry about whether prospective buyers will like it. I had a yellow car in the past and that sold really quickly despite everyone saying that no-one would buy it - I wonder if anyone has told Mr Wonder that his car is not a metallic black yet??

Best regards

simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2004, 09:48 AM   #13
A Yerbury

I aggree with everyone allways. you know mr Wonder? cool!
Old 27-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #14
Rufus-T-Firefly

Please note: The word "weld" was never mentioned! By some happy coincidence, those internally expanding thingys that clamp brush guards to the end of the bars on your enduro bike fit snugly up your new hole! If you are careful where you cut the frame and you have the ability to use a file and a hacksaw and you are able to tighten an allen screw, or have a boyfriend or girlfriend who can do this for you, then you have nowt to worry about.
Old 27-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #15
Dark-Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
"Alex - you may find it easy to weld but their are people in this club that ask for advice about adjusting their chain..."

they will be dead by dawn.

its all mediocre.
AY.xx
chain adjusting....dead by dawn you say....hmm, looks like I have a lot to fit in by then

Dark-Jon

"Chain adjusting? is that the big spanner??"