PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel removal

Phil R
07-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi,

I have a 97 M900 and I need to get the front wheel out to get a new tyre fitted. Easy job normally but the bush in the nearside fork that the spindle screws into is turning as I try to remove the spindle. I can't see any way of holding it tight short of gripping it with the pinch bolts (didn't work), introducing oil onto the thread and leaving for a while (didn't work) and heating **** out of it (slightly melted the speedo drive).

Any ideas before I hang the bugger from the rafters in the garage and drop the forks out?

Thanks,
/Phil.

DavidT
07-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Why are the pinch bolts not holding it - thats their only reason for being there. If they are torqued up but still not gripping the bush is there something in the slot like road dirt or corrosion?

David

Phil R
07-09-2004, 09:51 PM
Yeah the pinch bolts are holding it until I heave on the allen key in the spindle. Then it turns!

/Phil.

DavidT
08-09-2004, 08:24 PM
Thats sounds nasty because you don't want that bush to spinning and reaming that hole any bigger. Could you try using an impact driver on the spindle allen key - sometimes the crack and turn at the same time works to free off seized threads

Phil R
09-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Yeah I think that's going to be the way.

Thanks,
/Phil.

Pedro
10-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Sounds like it was done up with an air driver....

Might be easier to let the tyre place do it and save yourself the headache

Ped

Phil R
13-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Done it! Ended up undoing the pinch bolts, putting a little thread lock onto the outside of the bush, doing the pinch bolts back up, waiting for the threadlock to go off then shocking it with a mighty large hammer on the 14mm allen key.

I think you're right, Pedro, it must have been done up with an air driver.

Thanks,
/Phil.