PDA

View Full Version : new monster, new project

DevilBoy
20-07-2004, 08:57 PM
hello all

Ive just purchased a nice shiney black 2002 Monster s4. So firstly, congratulations are in order me thinks!

I bought it with high level pipes, and loadsa carbon bits and pieces... and Im looking to make it look a little more aggressive (If thats possible).

i want to get rid of that big crap thing that holds the number plate on... and replace the indicators with something a little more sexy.

First things first - the ripping off of the tea tray... how do you do it?, and wheres the best place to get a new bracket for the numberplate, and maybe a smaller numberplate too.

Next, whats the best small indicators to replace those big horrible looking things. Or even better - can you get a numberplate holder with indicators built-in - like an undertray.?

Cheers all.
Oh - another thing - how do I jack the back-end up a little? She looks like shes sitting down!

:bunny:

pooh
20-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Hi
Have a look at the sponsors link at the top of the page Stuart has evrything you need and has some rather sexy rear LED lights with indicators built in.

Ian

DevilBoy
20-07-2004, 10:32 PM
Whats the URL - I can only find a list of specials for this week!

Little Monster
20-07-2004, 10:36 PM
patience young jedi.

welcome to the monnie forum by the way

it's www.spareshack.com but if you go to the page with the specials on and click on the big spareshack logo top right, it'll open the page up from there too.

now spend spend spend

DevilBoy
20-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Is it the replacement mud guard here:
Click (http://www.spareshack.com/cgi-bin/browse-no-frames.cgi?session=44134996&view=item&item=bug2000_lense)
??

Or just the direct replacement lense cover?

norrie
21-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Welcome.

Most people seem to chop the back end off and make a new bracket for the numberplate.
The only thing is you have to cut the frame which I wasn't keen on.
As for small indicators there are hundreds on the market.
Try to buy a good set or you might have hassle with them.

I'm not sure about jacking the back end up as the S4 is different from mine.

Norrie.

steviej
21-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Christ.......What was the insurance on that then :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

DevilBoy
21-07-2004, 02:09 PM
insurance was only £400 - which was only £80 more than my 600 bandit that I had for a year!

I really wanna get rid of that piece of sh*t tea tray... and on the spareshack website they sell a numberplate bracket, which it says just replaces the teatray.
Can anyone verify this?

Allso - has anyone jacked the backend up on an S4?

A Yerbury
21-07-2004, 02:25 PM
"I really wanna get rid of that piece of sh*t tea tray..." the force is strong in him, excellent! theres another post -quel suprise- about trays today, don't forget that there is currently an alarming trend circulating here at the mo, that is, older monsters wanting a new style tray, (dont ask!) so even though we are -mostly- agreed its a piece of dung someone may wish to buy it. that should take some of the sting out of hacking your tubes up...the pain goes away after about half an hour.

NattyBoy
21-07-2004, 03:04 PM
You can still have a sexy arse with getting one of drapers finest hacksaws out..heres mine (short ducati performance rear tray with number plate holder)
http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=10634&pid=87596
Nat

DevilBoy
21-07-2004, 10:00 PM
So am i right in assuming that if you wanna get rid of the lot... you have some modding on the frame to do? i.e. hacking of a chunk of metal?!

has anyone got a picture of thier back-end (dont even need to make a joke of that one!) - post hacking.

Cheers

DevilBoy
23-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Well?

:twisted:

Little Monster
23-07-2004, 07:53 PM
there's loads of stuff that's been posted on this. i can never get the search facility to work but look up tail chop and see what you find.

the gallery has loads of piccies and there are lots of chopped bikes on there.

i've pm'd you.

A Yerbury
23-07-2004, 08:52 PM
apologies to all those who've seen this before but here is a hacksawed arse, I left about an inch of tube although Im not sure of the frame design on s4, I imagine its much the same. ducatisuite have a blow by blow account although I m not sure of the web address (ducatsuite in any search engine should find it)
AY

A Yerbury
23-07-2004, 09:10 PM
easier from this angle, plugged frame with bar ends.... and to all tail huggers out there concerned about brown stripe syndrome, that roadracing do-dah on the tyre works fine!
AY

JMo
23-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Or you could consult a professional... ahem.

xxx

A Yerbury
24-07-2004, 09:13 AM
those mirrors lookgood jen, bespoke or pret a porter?

JMo
24-07-2004, 05:38 PM
those mirrors lookgood jen, bespoke or pret a porter?

I'm afraid they are very much haute couture me 'ol chum...

The mirrors themselves are 3" custom/chopper ones with the stem cut down, but the mountings are custom machined to locate in the existing mirror brackets, and they have an internal grub-screw to secure the mirror arm, so the dome of the mounting has no holes in it. I have loads of people asking "can you see anything?" and are surprised when they sit on and realise you can - but that is mainly due to the Renthal bars being about 3 inches wider than standard, and no good if you are a bit of a bloater of course... x

xxx

A Yerbury
24-07-2004, 09:33 PM
bloater, moi? kung fu and joggy routine keeps the bloat at bay..just! looking at the pics I thought it may be something like that...hmm interesting, I will have to have a think. cheers.
AY.X

xjrjohn
24-07-2004, 09:44 PM
Ducati do a racier tailpiece in carbon....no choppin i think.....natty your link dont work.....anyone know the price btw of the racier tailpiece?
Ta
John

A Yerbury
24-07-2004, 09:58 PM
a racy tea tray? how oxymoronic. but yeah they do, with bug eyes. spareshack.
AY

JMo
24-07-2004, 10:09 PM
It's worse than that Yerbs - I think he is refering to the shonky thing that Natty (and Robht, sorry fella) have fitted to theirs - sort of arrowhead affair - doesn't even cover the bloody frame rails indeed...

arse.

carbon arse.

xxx

xjrjohn
24-07-2004, 10:16 PM
a racy tea tray? how oxymoronic. but yeah they do, with bug eyes. spareshack.
AY
no its kinda shorter and comes to more of a point....not built in indys tho

A Yerbury
24-07-2004, 10:18 PM
def leppard vs the love reaction

A Yerbury
24-07-2004, 10:30 PM
It's worse than that Yerbs - I think he is refering to the shonky thing that Natty (and Robht, sorry fella) have fitted to theirs - sort of arrowhead affair - doesn't even cover the bloody frame rails indeed...

arse.

carbon arse.

xxx

arrow head? I can't even begin to imagine this canker...first spoddy now "shonky" wow, thats 2 new (derogatory) terms this week! keep em coming.
AY.X

JMo
24-07-2004, 11:29 PM
... in all it's shonky glory:

xxx

A Yerbury
25-07-2004, 12:04 AM
very illuminating and yes, very shonky. oh well, forgive them lord they know not etc..time for bed zebedee. good night piglet.
AY.X

Vman
26-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I own a S4R ant I didnt want to cut up my frame etc, so I got a few bits from spareshack, the total cost was about £250/£300 , but well worth it as I can put the bike back to standard if I ever sell it, most buyers like standard bikes.

Anyway, check the pics.

Carbon, short tail, clear tail lens, LED light with built in indy`s.

A Yerbury
26-07-2004, 08:30 PM
For resale value there is an argument to keep them on. I like the internal leds very much although I dont know about mot? the bike looks very nice but it still looks like a half hearted tail chop to me and a bit "inbetween" and 300 quid for that and the light? seems a bit like silly money. carbon or not.

A Yerbury
26-07-2004, 08:33 PM
a bit of tube pipe can always be rewelded for next to nowt.
AY

xjrjohn
26-07-2004, 09:31 PM
I own a S4R ant I didnt want to cut up my frame etc, so I got a few bits from spareshack, the total cost was about £250/£300 , but well worth it as I can put the bike back to standard if I ever sell it, most buyers like standard bikes.

Anyway, check the pics.

Carbon, short tail, clear tail lens, LED light with built in indy`s.
I think that looks great!....250/300 quid isnt that bad compared to the price of some stuff.....plus the added bonus that u can get some use out of them and re sell after
John

JMo
26-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, for sure there'll be plenty of chavs out there wanting secondhand carbon fibre and clear light lenses...

xxx

(Joking aside, it does look better Vman - and like the pipes... now get the hacksaw out and finish the job properly!)

PS. Yerbs is right about the MOT, but then you don't need to worry about that for while of course...

Vman
27-07-2004, 01:47 AM
And if you notice, the pipes are straight thru, you should here the noise, F`kin LOUD!!!! :twisted: and if little billy plod stops me , they are all stamped up with the E number, "all legal CoUNTstable......" :D

I got 3 years to worry about MOTs and the Tail in my mind, is on of the best I have seen.

I was down Ducati Croydon last week, they have a £25,000 S4R being built fot a customer, Ohlins rear, Ohlins front with radial brakes, mad monley being lavished on it, but you get to the back and its BODGED BIGTIME!!!

Hacksawed the end, plugged the ends, Massive Numberplate hanger, DP indys stuck on the original teatray that had also been roughly hacksawed :eek: :eek: :eek: , seriously lacking in the "attention2detail" Dept And For £25,000, I would like A LOT of Attention to Detail....

Anyway, here is the side view, note the lack of the "colostomy bag" that hangs underneath all other S4Rs...

Little Monster
28-07-2004, 07:13 PM
I don't agree that the hacksawed and plugged looks bodged and i'm a right fussy bitch.

chops the way to go (must pull finger out and get mine sorted)

JMo
28-07-2004, 07:18 PM
Indeed - it all depends on how well you do it... some of us have refined the technique to the point there are queues forming... ahem.

xxx