PDA

View Full Version : clutch 'chatter'

snakey
12-05-2004, 08:44 AM
A strange noise started on the sport (dry clutch) there was a chattering noise that didn't sound nice at all, so i stripped the cover off and found one of the six center hub bolts was loose and had started to chew up the outer case(not too bad as i stopped right away) so i tightned it back up and replaced the cover, now there is a slight noise that sounds like the piston is touching the push rod - does anyone know if it is ok to put copper slip on this face to stop the noise , or does it sound as if the bearing & seal need replacing.

Pete.

Pedro
12-05-2004, 12:15 PM
Eh? Can you explain that one again cos the piston is on the opposite side of the bike on mine.

Ped

spacemonkey
12-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Be wary of Copperslip on the slave piston as I believe that it can attack the seals. Use silicone grease if any.

spacemonkey
12-05-2004, 05:36 PM
Oh, and loctite the clutch spring bolts. I sheared one recently which can prove expensive...

snakey
12-05-2004, 05:38 PM
on the older bikes the clutch release piston is mounted in the right hand casing that covers the dry clutch, newer ones have one that runs through the gear box .

snakey
12-05-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
Be wary of Copperslip on the slave piston as I believe that it can attack the seals. Use silicone grease if any.

Thanks I've got silicone grease, will give that a go , though the noise seems to be less now, could be something to do with being disturbed, and now settling down.