PDA

View Full Version : slack chain.

A Yerbury
11-04-2004, 10:14 PM
hmmm.... what should the play on the chain be (94 m600) there was a sticker on the frame but it has been erased from history ?! also any tips on the shock setup would help, currently the two c spanner bolts have been wound right down and I ve no idea what adjusts what? there is a flat head adjustment at the base and a red nipple at the top?...As the grime thins so the plot thickens!!
AY.

Dave in USA
11-04-2004, 10:21 PM
Used to adjust mine so there was about an inch TOTAL up & down movement along the bottom, half way between the front & rear sprocket...About where the sticker was!

Dave

Zimbo
12-04-2004, 07:24 AM
An inch free play half way between the sprockets with the bike on it's sidestand is about right.
As for suspension, the flat head adjuster at the bottom alters the compression damping, the top nipple alters the rebound damping. The preload adjusters shouldn't be right down, sounds like they've been altered to change the rear ride height.
Download a manual from

http://www.ducati.com/bikes/manuals.jhtml

and reset all the adjustments back to factory settings.

superlight3
12-04-2004, 08:24 AM
Errrr, from memory, the adjustment screw at the bottom is rebound damping and the red nipple-type-thing is a valve cover for the gas-charging of the damper. Best not to play with that one!

Pre-load collars should be adjusted so that you have about 2" of static sag at the rear (of the bike - not you Alex). Stand behind the bike, lift it vertical and pump the rear end down a few times and let it settle, then lift the back end till it 'tops-out'. You should be looking for about a 2" lift.

Cheers.

Lee.

A Yerbury
12-04-2004, 08:37 AM
thanks chaps.
dont worry lee, I'm giving nipples a wide berth for the time being, of late they seem to have dangerous women from the planet incomprehensible attached...."sorry dear"....:)
AY.

spacemonkey
12-04-2004, 07:21 PM
"of late they seem to have dangerous women from the planet incomprehensible attached..."

Sorry sir, they all do that...

My chain sticker says 30mm total play half way between the F & R sprocket.

Duncan
12-04-2004, 07:40 PM
If you set it as per the sticker with 30mm of play then this redfuces to nowt when sat on it. The answer is to put it on a paddock stand, find the tight spot, then sit it on its wheels, get an assistant to sit on it and make sure you have about an inch of total movement.

If you then put it back on the stand, measure the total deflection unloaded, and note it for future use then thats what it'll be. Its better to run it slightly loose than too tight. I had a chain give way at high speed on the motorway and its not nice.

Elmo
12-04-2004, 07:58 PM
Duncan you said tight spot is this common ive got one?

Duncan
12-04-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by El Monstrado
Duncan you said tight spot is this common ive got one?

Are you talking about your chain or your wallet Monstrado?

Its not unusual for chains to get tight spots where they wear unevenly, get different amounyts of lube and the sprockets can be a bit eccentric.

BoozyBOB
12-04-2004, 10:55 PM
AK helped me on a tight chain...when i had a wheel change they set the tension by the book...(but if you have met me) ..my wieght made the chain too tight...

like Duncan said tight chains are bad..(i keep telling the wife)...