PDA

View Full Version : Close enough to zero back brake......

Petej
16-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Having only covered minimal mileage since collection my Evo, I had notic d I could not really get on the back brake as such, thinking I may need to adjust the lever..... I finally got to chance to take a look.

I seem to have travel all the way to the stop and next to no purchase really noticeable when stamping on it as such.

Just a bleed or could this be a shot M/S?

Pete

Ron1000
16-07-2017, 04:58 PM
I've got same issue although probably not as severe as yours

Petej
16-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Oddly it passed an MOT about 6weeks ago...... maybe I'm expecting too much....

bazread
16-07-2017, 05:19 PM
Mine is also rubbish !!! Holds the bike for a hill start, but that's about it ;)

Petej
16-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Mine is also rubbish !!! Holds the bike for a hill start, but that's about it ;)

Are you getting full travel on the brake, I don't feel I get any real bite.

bazread
16-07-2017, 05:25 PM
My toes are pointing almost directly down to the tarmac to get anything resembling a brake, I should sort it but TBH I use the front 98% of the time :)

Ron1000
16-07-2017, 05:59 PM
Similar to bazread it'll hold it on a hill etc my toes are more or less point at the ground but it's fine for what i need

Luddite
16-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Before you suspect the master cylinder, try thoroughly bleeding the rear brake as it sounds like you may have air in the system. Here's what I posted on an earlier thread:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=545067

Sorry you're having trouble bleeding the rear brake. I did mine earlier this year after I had to reposition the hydraulic brake light switch and it's a complete PITA to bleed as the nipple is on the bottom of the caliper. I've found it helps to remove the caliper, flip it over so the nipple's on top and slide it on the top run of the disc (put some protective tape on the caliper to stop it rubbing on the swingarm). If you've got a vacuum bleeder or even a syringe to help draw the fluid through, that speeds things up.

It does take three or four reservoirs full to get a firm pedal but, once bled, mine will lock the rear wheel with the ABS off.

Because the bleed nipple is on the bottom of the caliper you really need to remove it and turn it upside-down to do a proper job, which means the wheel (and exhaust) will also have to come off.

Sounds like a faff I know, but you'll have a decent brake capable of locking the wheel as a reward.

Doggy
16-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Strangely my 796 has the sharpest rear brake of any bike I've owned in 20 yrs. My MV brake is non existent, makes it interesting jumping from one bike to the other!

garry
16-07-2017, 07:25 PM
just to add. as above, no pedal at all, did bleed before our hebs trip and was much better, after 200 mile.. no pedal. but put up with it till i got home, 1400 mile later..

the caliper wouldnt bleed at all, even tried reverse bleed.
backed off the banjo on the abs... frothy frothy frothy.. oops.

now decided the master cylinder is shot.

who would be our preferred supplier gents, i need to order in the morning.

http://i992.photobucket.com/albums/af44/garry-williams/20170715_112722_zpsu8rfrhqr.jpg (http://s992.photobucket.com/user/garry-williams/media/20170715_112722_zpsu8rfrhqr.jpg.html)

oh, an wtf is going on with photobucket !!!

https://s26.postimg.org/8mvmz89kl/20170715_112722.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/8mvmz89kl/)

postimage pic

Luddite
16-07-2017, 08:22 PM
just to add. as above, no pedal at all, did bleed before our hebs trip and was much better, after 200 mile.. no pedal. but put up with it till i got home, 1400 mile later..

the caliper wouldnt bleed at all, even tried reverse bleed.
backed off the banjo on the abs... frothy frothy frothy.. oops.

now decided the master cylinder is shot.

who would be our preferred supplier gents, i need to order in the morning.

Sorry you're still having problems, Garry.

Thanks for the photo of the ABS unit with bleed nipple fitted; any problems with clearance?

When you bled the caliper, did you try flipping it so the nipple was on top?

If you're sure it's the master cylinder, look here re. rebuild kits:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=55498

Let us know how you get on.

garry
16-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Ludd mucker I tried every which way including lose. What convinced me eventually was to clamp of the hose from the cylinder. . First pump half pressure. . Second pump. . Back to the floor. So going to go the new master route. Cheers for the input btw.

Petej
16-07-2017, 08:57 PM
I'll try giving it a bleed, like Bazread I use the front like 98% of the time but there is times I'd really like to have it there!

Luddite
16-07-2017, 09:45 PM
That's a real pain, Garry. Are you planning to refurbish your m/c or get a new one?

The part number of the m/c is 62540041A and my first port of call would be Craig and Luke at Moto Rapido (01962 873981).

Just as a guide, Stein Dinse have them at €52.

Hope you sort it soon.

garry
17-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Moto rapido, £49, not worth mucking about with a repair at that price.

Should be here tomorrow, ....

I,ll be back !!!

Luddite
17-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Moto rapido, £49, not worth mucking about with a repair at that price.

Should be here tomorrow, ....

I,ll be back !!!

Sounds like the sensible choice, Garry.

If, in an idle moment, you decide to strip down the old m/c, let us know what you find.

At least you've had plenty of experience bleeding the system so you should be back on the road again pretty quickly.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?p=545334

garry
19-07-2017, 08:44 PM
m/c was the fault.

filled the whole system with air, no leaks btw.

took me an hour an half to bleed, very very slowly from the abs, but got there in the end, just need to put it all together now, and a bloody good clean up, brake fluid is horrible.. tissues everywhere, garage looks like a back st knockin shop..

Luddite
20-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a job well done, Garry. Hope it's sorted your problem. See if it will now lock the wheel with the ABS off (mine does). Assuming you can lock the wheel, try again with ABS on to check the ABS works ok.

Petej
21-07-2017, 10:44 PM
I've bled it and no difference, it's the travel that seems odd, my foot has to go so far down feels like I'm coming off the front of the peg? Can this be adjusted. Only thing I'm unhappy with ��

garry
21-07-2017, 10:46 PM
exactly the issue i had..

Petej
22-07-2017, 07:57 AM
I feared the MC , it seemed to be better but after a few goes back to next to nothing, almost good first few applications then loses pressure, guess that points MC again! After 3k that's bad.

garry
22-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Got my old one of and appears absolutely nothing wrong with it. Piston in and out good spring. . I have no explanation. Apart from the fact the new one works.

Luddite
22-07-2017, 12:55 PM
I feared the MC , it seemed to be better but after a few goes back to next to nothing, almost good first few applications then loses pressure, guess that points MC again! After 3k that's bad.

Sorry you're still having problems, Pete.

The back brake is notoriously difficult to bleed and can take a long time and a lot of fluid to accomplish properly. Did you remove the caliper and flip it so the bleed nipple was on the top? It's very difficult, if not impossible, to get all the air out with the nipple underneath the caliper.

Petej
22-07-2017, 02:44 PM
I didn't take it off no....... end of the plunger on the MC looks like possible residue... if it's a wheel off job to bleed I'll struggle as no paddock stand.

Luddite
22-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Sorry, Pete, yes it is a wheel off job.

Have you a friendly local dealer who would maybe lend you one if you left a deposit?

Darren69
22-07-2017, 04:30 PM
You'll probably need an air powered rattle gun to get the wheel nut off anyway.

Petej
04-08-2017, 07:45 PM
Luddite - should we ever meet in the vicinity of a pub it's my round! Got the wheel off this eve and got the calliper off flipped it and gave it a fair few cycles of bleeding......

I finally have a solid rear break, exactly as I was wanting, faultless. So no master cylinder needed.

Thanks again Vince, the help is much appreciated.

Luddite
04-08-2017, 09:05 PM
That's great news Pete.

Glad I could help. Now, get out there and enjoy it! :)