PDA

View Full Version : One thing leads to another...

SteveG
02-01-2016, 09:56 PM
Having decided my M900 '96/7 is a keeper and the 1200s is on hold I thoroughly scanned the forum over Xmas & finally dived in to do a bit of major fettling ( major by my standards anyway!)

Front brake has been pulsing for a while and steadily got worse.. I tried the "ride it and brake hard repeatedly" school of fixing & b@gger - it got even worse unfortunately. ..

So -front up, wheel out and check the discs. Yep, warped with two major (almost 2mm) high spots each side. Maybe coincidentally-found that the wheel brake-disc mount face hub was quite uneven on both sides due to some overspray of powder coat where it obviously hadn't been masked fully in a previous life- with high spots on the wheel hub getting on for 0.3mm one side and nearly 0.25 on the other. Scraped all off with razor blade and got wheel face back to machined finish.

Front bearings fine, fitted new Blackshadow wavy discs ( fancied a change and they seem well rated), cleaned the stainless bolts in Vinegar then brake cleaner, Loctite and torqued 'em up. Hope that sorts it.

Having new discs (pictures later) I thought strip/clean/check callipers ready for new pads & brake fluid change when they arrive was in order..

And while the front was off the deck thought may as well have forks out & send off to Maxton (justification to the boss: "well... look at it this way darling, it's cheaper than buying the new one"...)

And then I thought I may as well look at the clutch as it was a tad more noisy than usual( ie,3 skeletons going at it in a dustbin instead of the usual 2).. yep, friction plate tangs are hooked and burr'd with about 1mm worn & the basket has corresponding dents - that'll be a new set of plates at a minimum then.. 'bay here I come, and then I guess do a full clutch service. Barnett sounds good but pricey...:thumbsup:

Next job is back end out for matching rear end wavy disc, pads, fluid, chain and sprockets and shock linkage check, then -unless I bottle it - I shall be having a go at the valve shims and belt replacement in due course.. before the forks come back as it looks more accessible with front end off. Plus the usual winter oil and filter change to finish off..

I feel I may be asking you all some questions as I am sure to get out of my depth!! :spin:

Mr Gazza
02-01-2016, 10:18 PM
That's the spirit..:thumbsup:
That's much more fun than just buying a new bike isn't it?

Regarding the clutch, I suggest that you have a word with "Pompone" (Max) info@desmoperformanceparts.com

He is a very patient and thorough chap and recently sorted me out with a very nice EVR 48 tooth clutch at some considerable discount.

They are normally supplied for slipper clutches but Max went to the trouble to get me the correct fitment for my M900Sie with a full plate set including a dished plate, so I can use it with a conventional pressure plate....He can do all kinds of plate and basket combos.

Flip
03-01-2016, 12:02 AM
Excellent stuff!! Glad to hear you're spending the dark evenings productively and have decided to go the Maxton route- hopefully you'll be as pleased as I have been with them.

It was a similar kind of thing for me in some ways as at the end of 2014 I was tempted to buy another bike to put alongside what I already have (and kind of semi-retire the 900) but then thought about how much I simply love riding the thing and so decided to get the spanners out and give her a good sorting (ooooerrr).

There's still a few tweaks I need to do but as a result I now have a bike that feels and rides better than it has ever done in all the years I have owned it- wish I'd done it sooner!!

utopia
03-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Yep, stories like this make me grin cos I know exactly how you feel.
My 750 became a keeper very early on it my ownership of it and now I'm getting into the consequent long term mods in a fairly serious way.
I honestly reckon its the cheapest form of biking in the long run, all things considered.

2mm warping on your discs sounds absolutely massive.
But then again, a 0.3mm "lump" on the mounting face would translate into somewhat more than that at the outer edge I suppose.
Just a thought .. are you going to bin them ?
If so, would you consider sending them to me instead ? ......I would pay the postage, naturally.
I'd be quite interested to check them over ... might be able to set them up for checking on the lathe maybe.
And of course, if they did prove to be ok (though I would doubt it) I would return them to you.
Either way, the process would add to my/our knowledge of the "warping" issue.

Looking forward to hearing the results of your "Maxton-ising".
I'll be going down the same route myself before the summer arrives.

Flip
03-01-2016, 12:09 PM

Jeff, it might be a good idea to make contact with Richard at Maxton sooner rather than later if you want them done for the summer as they get very busy in a month or two's time as the race season will be just around the corner then.

Plus they have a lot of TT commitments prior to it starting and then it basically shuts them down over that fortnight as they are on the Island doing support work.

utopia
03-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Hmmm, good shout, Flip.
I think I'll take your advice there.
Right then ... time to finally disable the bike for the winter.
Its this weather.
I was beginning to wonder whether it would end up being spring and the bad weather/salt would never arrive at all this year.
I'll give them a call this week.
Thanks.

SteveG
03-01-2016, 04:32 PM
2mm warping on your discs sounds absolutely massive.
But then again, a 0.3mm "lump" on the mounting face would translate into somewhat more than that at the outer edge I suppose.
Just a thought .. are you going to bin them ?

Hiya.. Not going to bin them, thanks for the offer to help. A mate of mine has a workshop so going to get them on his lathe for a proper measure and a skim. Having put them on a flat steel plate and measured around with a bit of block and feelers the warp, although definitely there on both discs, isn't as bad as first measured when on the hubs so I'll be cleaning them up and storing them along with all the other original bits just in case I ever decide to put her back to original (welding the tail chop back if that was the case!) or maybe get bitten by the fettling bug and buy a banger to restore. I' ll keep you posted on the progress.

Drumnagorrach
03-01-2016, 04:52 PM
I would clock the centre of the discs in the lathe ,then check the outer run out with the clock .I just don't think the floating stainless disc is rigid enough to turn .You might manage with a tool post grinder .

SteveG
03-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Said clutch friction plates looking a tad knackered... Will see if this photo link uploads.. (Update: No... but links to Flickr)

https://flic.kr/p/CNrSse

https://www.flickr.com/photos/122403255@N05/24154449985/in/dateposted-public/

Dukedesmo
03-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Said clutch friction plates looking a tad knackered... Will see if this photo link uploads.. (Update: No... but links to Flickr)

Doesn't look too bad to me...

Albie
03-01-2016, 08:39 PM

Mine were almost flat.

SteveG
03-01-2016, 09:15 PM
I will take that to mean I don't need to buy new clutch bits just now then! Doesn't appear to be slipping but it rattles more loudly than ever.. Will just give it a good clean out for now. Cheers for looking and comments. S

Dirty
03-01-2016, 10:40 PM

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5739/24154449985_dd59c0a7f7_z.jpg

SteveG
04-01-2016, 07:18 AM
Thanks Dirty.... I am clearly hopeless at attaching images and using Interweb thingies...

Dirty
04-01-2016, 11:01 AM
Thanks Dirty.... I am clearly hopeless at attaching images and using Interweb thingies...

No, flikr makes it deliberately difficult. You virtually have to hack the photo out of their grasp :)

SteveG
04-01-2016, 08:10 PM
Yep, stories like this make me grin cos I know exactly how you feel.

Had a good chat with Richard at Maxton this morning and have parcelled a set of forks up tonight with my instructions and measurements... Likely to be minimum 3 to 4 weeks turnaround at this time of year. Excitement mounting already..

Albie
04-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Had a good chat with Richard at Maxton this morning and have parcelled a set of forks up tonight with my instructions and measurements... Likely to be minimum 3 to 4 weeks turnaround at this time of year. Excitement mounting already..

It sounds exciting. I will be doing the same hopefully later on as soon as money is available. Will be using the faded ones for now.

Flip
04-01-2016, 09:07 PM

Ooooh what option did you go for in the end Steve?

Out of interest what shock have you got fitted?

SteveG
04-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Hi Flip

Opted for GP20 cartridge that is adjustable for rebound and compression damping.Plus anodised tubes to match the existing rear Ohlins with remote reservoir..

In fleeting moments that last a few milliseconds It feels a bit excessive but ...................... I have been good and not blown all my savings on a 1200s..... And I WANT....
.... therefore all is well:)..

SteveG
10-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Right.. progress report time.

The news discs are fitted to the front wheel.
The calipers are cleaned and all ready for the new brake pads and bleed.
The forks are now at Maxton.
The clutch plates are all out for a clean. And now stuck on getting the basket and gubbins out - advice please!

I have a clutch removal tool from Avanti which arrived this week - it is simplicity itself and fitted to hold the basket and hub perfectly...( picture's later) but the centre nut feels like it has been torqued up by King Kong on steroids. Even with a Tommy bar on the socket & 15stone of me on the end it feels like I am in danger of shearing something or lifting the bike off the paddock stands. I am guessing penetrating fluid could be used to help as I am cleaning the lot anyway... any other tips for getting the nut loose?

Cheers
Steve

Mr Gazza
10-01-2016, 04:37 PM
I've got this job coming up soon too..

I've read on here that an impact gun is the best tool for removing the nut. So I will be buying the socket and renting an impact gun for a day..Seems like the cheapest option, since I will probably never need an impact gun again.

I have also been warned about holding tools that use the case screws...Apparently they can bust the cases??!!

I haven't worked out how I'm going to torque it back up yet....And that's critical.

Flip
10-01-2016, 04:44 PM
Sounds like you're making progress but with regards to that clutch drum nut- not long after I bought my bike the big oil seal behind the basket started to leak where my mate didn't really use the bike while he owned it.
I think I was just lucky whacking it in gear and standing on the rear brake and jumping on a hefty breaker bar to free it off but I believe the correct way is to use either an air or (suitably meaty) electric impact gun. If memory serves correctly it's something like 140Nm

SteveG
10-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Here's the clutch basket tool in place.... The torque setting for the nut is listed as 137~147Nm

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s460/SteveG900/image_zpskwy409gj.jpeg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/SteveG900/media/image_zpskwy409gj.jpeg.html)

Here's the front end off... (Shame I only got the one wheelie bin in shot)
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s460/SteveG900/image_zpssktpuov3.jpeg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/SteveG900/media/image_zpssktpuov3.jpeg.html)

And here's the new front disc's on the wheel.

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s460/SteveG900/image_zpsw9ori2as.jpeg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/SteveG900/media/image_zpsw9ori2as.jpeg.html)

Darren69
10-01-2016, 08:13 PM
The problem with those clutch drum holding tools is that opposing force of the 140 odd Nm needed to undo the nut is then transferred to to your engine case vis 2 small bolts, its very easy to rip a large chunk of the casting and destroy your engine cases. Those bolts and the very brittle and often porous casting were not ever designed to withstand that kind of load!

SteveG
10-01-2016, 09:37 PM
Sounds worrying Darren & Gazza.. shame as Avanti were confident it was a simple solution and alternative to the big "ring spanner" type.

I guess putting it in gear and having ramming the rear brake on as well as the tool is still risky? Maybe I could make a large -foot long- handle to fit the bolt holes on it to negate the case risk... I'll have to have a think about this one. Thanks..

Mr Gazza
10-01-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm a little confused as to what it is that you are doing with your clutch now.

Unless you are changing the drums for new ones there is no point taking the originals off.

I think trying to put a handle on that tool will end up with it slipping and breaking a drum spline or a post on the inner.

Why not buy new plates anyway, and use the old ones as the tool. Just bolt one or more of each type together concentrically (as they are in the drums) and add a long tubular handle to that assembly.....That will support both drums all the way round and is less likely to slip out of place when the strain is on.
I have various ones made up like that for old Triumphs and they have always worked well.

The best one that I saw was one that i think Jonsi made using all the plates, and so filled the drum with no fear of it tipping.

I still think this is a two or three man job to make sure there are no injuries or damage to the bike from it getting pushed over as a result of all the grunting.

Darren69
11-01-2016, 05:44 AM
Something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MOTORCYCLE-DRY-CLUTCH-LOCK-TOOL-LASER-CUT-IN-U-K-IN-8-MM-AT-620MM-LONG-/262205073098?hash=item3d0ca3e6ca:g:L1YAAOxygPtS4UZ q

or as Gazza says make one from the old plates.

Are you fitting new alloy friction plates? In which case an alloy drum would be recommended otherwise if your replacing with steel friciion plates the yours doesn't look too bad, in all honesty I've seen much worse.

SteveG
11-01-2016, 10:04 PM
Thanks guys... The plan was take it to bits, check wear, service bits needing it , replace bearings if needed etc etc.. Although it's clearly worn it isn't terminal... I do quite fancy a "bling" clutch basket but as it ain't exactly necessary at moment (as some have observed) I am now thinking twice about creating more work. I' ve had a really kind offer from one of the local forum members for the loan of some tools if I do go for a full basket and plates change and will follow up on that tomorrow.

slob
11-01-2016, 11:06 PM
... I have also been warned about holding tools that use the case screws...Apparently they can bust the cases??!! ...

I understand the worry, that said, I've used one repeatedly on both stock magnesium cases and not had a problem ... YET! :-O

Dukedesmo
12-01-2016, 08:31 AM
I understand the worry, that said, I've used one repeatedly on both stock magnesium cases and not had a problem ... YET! :-O

Only problem I had was the holding tool broke, but it was one of the plastic ones - avoid.

Mr Gazza
12-01-2016, 04:40 PM

Only problem I had was the holding tool broke, but it was one of the plastic ones - avoid.

I have also heard of the plastic tools breaking...Unsuprisingly.

Is the case breaking story based on fact, or is it an urban myth?

Interesting that the Ducati service tool is a big ring spanner type that fits the drum splines.

SteveG
07-03-2016, 09:34 PM
Update..

All is spannered and ready for the road... If I had the forks back that is!

Glad I wasn't in a rush, had an email today saying Maxton should complete my GP20 fit and anodise this week... Fingers crossed, been 2 months since I packed them off...Looking forward to having the front back on soon....

Albie
07-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Update..

All is spannered and ready for the road... If I had the forks back that is!

Glad I wasn't in a rush, had an email today saying Maxton should complete my GP20 fit and anodise this week... Fingers crossed, been 2 months since I packed them off...Looking forward to having the front back on soon....

What colour anodising. A light gold or a ohlins colour blingy

SteveG
07-03-2016, 10:09 PM
Ohlins front bling to match the back Ohlins bling...was ordered. I will see what comes back!

Albie
07-03-2016, 10:17 PM
Ohlins front bling to match the back Ohlins bling...was ordered. I will see what comes back!

I bet you cannot wait. Do they do revamped with the subtle gold as I would like a pair done. I have 2 pairs you see. Internals and outside treatment only.

utopia
07-03-2016, 10:56 PM
:thumbsup::woot::yoparty::banana:

SteveG
08-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Hi Albie. On the anodising I was told any colour you like... They send them off for that to another company....

And yes, I can't wait.. I know they are mad busy now with race season upon us and testing in full swing. Richard from Maxton was away testing somewhere this week... ( tough job but I guess someone has to do it!!!!)...Lucky s@d...:biggrin::biggrin:

SteveG
18-03-2016, 06:06 PM
Yippeeeeeeee-! After a bit of chasing and a 2 month wait.... look what the luverly man from UPS delivered today...:mand::mand::mand:

Spanner time is here again!! http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s460/SteveG900/image_zpsdlv6gnvd.jpeg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/SteveG900/media/image_zpsdlv6gnvd.jpeg.html)

Need to give the bottom ends a lick of paint and then get 'em on!!

slob
18-03-2016, 06:34 PM
Sweeeeeeeet!!

utopia
18-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Glorious !!

SteveG
26-03-2016, 09:02 PM
:biggrin:.... Back on the road....!!!

Well, I can report that first impressions of the Maxton front end refurb and GP20 cartridge are very,very good.Thanks to Flip and others for the pointers and guidance. The ride quality has improved massively, certainly has tamed the lairy feeling over bumps on my usual "road-test" circular near home and it seems like I have a much better feel of exactly what the front is doing which has given me more confidence in the twisties. Just as well really considering the 2 month wait and the price..Oh.. And I love the anodised gold.. All worth it IMO.

The new discs and pads all round are nicely bedded in and also make a huge difference.... and no more pulsing "pseudo ABS" from the warped front discs. A found and fixed sticky piston in the left calliper wasn't doing me any favours either.

I have certainly got to know my bike better over the winter... Bring on some long warm dry days now for the payback.....

http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s460/SteveG900/image_zpsidviv9vl.jpeg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/SteveG900/media/image_zpsidviv9vl.jpeg.html)

Albie
26-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Good to know. Bike looks great BTW. I will start saving. Glad I have a spare set to play with at just £60. Now I need to finish the bike and save up for suspension mods.

SteveG
26-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Cheers Albie.. Did you get my PM ? ... And when is the wedding?

Flip
27-03-2016, 12:26 AM
Glad you're impressed so far Steve, the bike is looking sweet- I really like the red and black.

I know the wait can be a bit frustrating but I guess it shows how in demand they are and that they're not prepared to compromise their quality by either rushing things or sub-contracting work out (other than the anodising) which cannot be given the attention needed. I have to say I am loving they way they have transformed both my bikes.

Worth noting that the waiting time will always be multiplied by those companies offering services for racing as the season gets close so for those thinking of getting their suspension sorted (whoever you intend to use) if they supply race teams etc. it is worth phoning to have a chat to get a more accurate time scale before starting to strip your bike.

Albie
27-03-2016, 05:26 AM
Cheers Albie.. Did you get my PM ? ... And when is the wedding?
Yes mate. I did reply but it seems some replies don't seem to get to folk lately.

Erm wedding is erm 6 days away. Crikey !

smiffyraf1
27-03-2016, 08:47 AM
Lovely looking bike. Black and red looks amazing. Them forks though! Were they mega bucks? I want some.

SteveG
27-03-2016, 09:18 AM
Thanks for comments.

Flip and Smiffy.. The previous (forum member) owner is to thank for the main red and black theme which I have continued with the black wavy discs. He documented the full original strip and rebuild on this forum a few years back. The new added gold anodised Maxton fork legs go nicely with the Ohlins rear, the clutch slave and callipers.

I agree with Flip on the advice to call Richard at Maxton to discuss what you want and the options as well as timescales. At outset I was told 4~6 weeks but that wasn't guaranteed & due to high demand it turned into 9 weeks. As it turned out not a problem given weather and personal circumstances. Err... Yes, Smiffy.. pricey but worth it IMO .. and cheaper than splashing on a new bike as originally planned.

Albie... 6 days!!!.. Hope you all have a great day. Are you riding the Monster to and from the wedding???? If so we demand pictures on the blog!!

utopia
27-03-2016, 10:51 AM
My forks will be getting similar treatment but in the end I decided that it was just one job too many for this year.
It was all going according to plan until the carbon wheels man made me an offer I couldn't refuse....and then I was skint.
But I've never heard anything but very positive feedback on Maxton's services and they will definitely be getting a call from me later in the year.
In the meantime I look forward to hearing how you find the forks over a summer of riding ..... the first reports sound very encouraging.

...... and :mand:

Albie
27-03-2016, 07:00 PM
Thanks for comments.

Flip and Smiffy.. The previous (forum member) owner is to thank for the main red and black theme which I have continued with the black wavy discs. He documented the full original strip and rebuild on this forum a few years back. The new added gold anodised Maxton fork legs go nicely with the Ohlins rear, the clutch slave and callipers.

I agree with Flip on the advice to call Richard at Maxton to discuss what you want and the options as well as timescales. At outset I was told 4~6 weeks but that wasn't guaranteed & due to high demand it turned into 9 weeks. As it turned out not a problem given weather and personal circumstances. Err... Yes, Smiffy.. pricey but worth it IMO .. and cheaper than splashing on a new bike as originally planned.

Albie... 6 days!!!.. Hope you all have a great day. Are you riding the Monster to and from the wedding???? If so we demand pictures on the blog!!
No sadly I scuppered that plan a while back when engine was diagnosed major crank rebuild. Just me and best man in my great mini cooper S now. It will be a great day without but it will be a great day for the monster when road worthy. After the wedding I can concentrate on it again because I am allowed.