UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » One thing leads to another...

Old 02-01-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
SteveG

Bike: Multiple Monsters
One thing leads to another...

Having decided my M900 '96/7 is a keeper and the 1200s is on hold I thoroughly scanned the forum over Xmas & finally dived in to do a bit of major fettling ( major by my standards anyway!)

Front brake has been pulsing for a while and steadily got worse.. I tried the "ride it and brake hard repeatedly" school of fixing & b@gger - it got even worse unfortunately. ..

So -front up, wheel out and check the discs. Yep, warped with two major (almost 2mm) high spots each side. Maybe coincidentally-found that the wheel brake-disc mount face hub was quite uneven on both sides due to some overspray of powder coat where it obviously hadn't been masked fully in a previous life- with high spots on the wheel hub getting on for 0.3mm one side and nearly 0.25 on the other. Scraped all off with razor blade and got wheel face back to machined finish.

Front bearings fine, fitted new Blackshadow wavy discs ( fancied a change and they seem well rated), cleaned the stainless bolts in Vinegar then brake cleaner, Loctite and torqued 'em up. Hope that sorts it.

Having new discs (pictures later) I thought strip/clean/check callipers ready for new pads & brake fluid change when they arrive was in order..

And while the front was off the deck thought may as well have forks out & send off to Maxton (justification to the boss: "well... look at it this way darling, it's cheaper than buying the new one"...)

And then I thought I may as well look at the clutch as it was a tad more noisy than usual( ie,3 skeletons going at it in a dustbin instead of the usual 2).. yep, friction plate tangs are hooked and burr'd with about 1mm worn & the basket has corresponding dents - that'll be a new set of plates at a minimum then.. 'bay here I come, and then I guess do a full clutch service. Barnett sounds good but pricey...

Next job is back end out for matching rear end wavy disc, pads, fluid, chain and sprockets and shock linkage check, then -unless I bottle it - I shall be having a go at the valve shims and belt replacement in due course.. before the forks come back as it looks more accessible with front end off. Plus the usual winter oil and filter change to finish off..

I feel I may be asking you all some questions as I am sure to get out of my depth!!

Last edited by SteveG; 02-01-2016 at 10:02 PM..
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
That's the spirit..
That's much more fun than just buying a new bike isn't it?

Regarding the clutch, I suggest that you have a word with "Pompone" (Max) info@desmoperformanceparts.com

He is a very patient and thorough chap and recently sorted me out with a very nice EVR 48 tooth clutch at some considerable discount.

They are normally supplied for slipper clutches but Max went to the trouble to get me the correct fitment for my M900Sie with a full plate set including a dished plate, so I can use it with a conventional pressure plate....He can do all kinds of plate and basket combos.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #3
Flip

Bike: M900
Excellent stuff!! Glad to hear you're spending the dark evenings productively and have decided to go the Maxton route- hopefully you'll be as pleased as I have been with them.

It was a similar kind of thing for me in some ways as at the end of 2014 I was tempted to buy another bike to put alongside what I already have (and kind of semi-retire the 900) but then thought about how much I simply love riding the thing and so decided to get the spanners out and give her a good sorting (ooooerrr).

There's still a few tweaks I need to do but as a result I now have a bike that feels and rides better than it has ever done in all the years I have owned it- wish I'd done it sooner!!
Old 03-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yep, stories like this make me grin cos I know exactly how you feel.
My 750 became a keeper very early on it my ownership of it and now I'm getting into the consequent long term mods in a fairly serious way.
I honestly reckon its the cheapest form of biking in the long run, all things considered.

2mm warping on your discs sounds absolutely massive.
But then again, a 0.3mm "lump" on the mounting face would translate into somewhat more than that at the outer edge I suppose.
Just a thought .. are you going to bin them ?
If so, would you consider sending them to me instead ? ......I would pay the postage, naturally.
I'd be quite interested to check them over ... might be able to set them up for checking on the lathe maybe.
And of course, if they did prove to be ok (though I would doubt it) I would return them to you.
Either way, the process would add to my/our knowledge of the "warping" issue.

Looking forward to hearing the results of your "Maxton-ising".
I'll be going down the same route myself before the summer arrives.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Looking forward to hearing the results of your "Maxton-ising".
I'll be going down the same route myself before the summer arrives.
Jeff, it might be a good idea to make contact with Richard at Maxton sooner rather than later if you want them done for the summer as they get very busy in a month or two's time as the race season will be just around the corner then.

Plus they have a lot of TT commitments prior to it starting and then it basically shuts them down over that fortnight as they are on the Island doing support work.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hmmm, good shout, Flip.
I think I'll take your advice there.
Right then ... time to finally disable the bike for the winter.
Its this weather.
I was beginning to wonder whether it would end up being spring and the bad weather/salt would never arrive at all this year.
I'll give them a call this week.
Thanks.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
SteveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post

2mm warping on your discs sounds absolutely massive.
But then again, a 0.3mm "lump" on the mounting face would translate into somewhat more than that at the outer edge I suppose.
Just a thought .. are you going to bin them ?
Hiya.. Not going to bin them, thanks for the offer to help. A mate of mine has a workshop so going to get them on his lathe for a proper measure and a skim. Having put them on a flat steel plate and measured around with a bit of block and feelers the warp, although definitely there on both discs, isn't as bad as first measured when on the hubs so I'll be cleaning them up and storing them along with all the other original bits just in case I ever decide to put her back to original (welding the tail chop back if that was the case!) or maybe get bitten by the fettling bug and buy a banger to restore. I' ll keep you posted on the progress.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
Drumnagorrach

I would clock the centre of the discs in the lathe ,then check the outer run out with the clock .I just don't think the floating stainless disc is rigid enough to turn .You might manage with a tool post grinder .
Old 03-01-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
SteveG

Said clutch friction plates looking a tad knackered... Will see if this photo link uploads.. (Update: No... but links to Flickr)

https://flic.kr/p/CNrSse

Last edited by SteveG; 03-01-2016 at 07:25 PM..
Old 03-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
Said clutch friction plates looking a tad knackered... Will see if this photo link uploads.. (Update: No... but links to Flickr)

Doesn't look too bad to me...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:

Mine were almost flat.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:15 PM   #12
SteveG

I will take that to mean I don't need to buy new clutch bits just now then! Doesn't appear to be slipping but it rattles more loudly than ever.. Will just give it a good clean out for now. Cheers for looking and comments. S
Old 03-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #14
SteveG

Thanks Dirty.... I am clearly hopeless at attaching images and using Interweb thingies...
Old 04-01-2016, 11:01 AM   #15
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Thanks Dirty.... I am clearly hopeless at attaching images and using Interweb thingies...
No, flikr makes it deliberately difficult. You virtually have to hack the photo out of their grasp

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote