PDA

View Full Version : Security - GSM GPS Tracker devices

Dirty
16-10-2013, 01:36 PM
I was thinking of getting one of these or something similar. I wondered if anyone here had one or knows if they are worth the money?

I know Datatool used to do one (Robs thread) (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=23565&highlight=text+alarm) but times move quickly and the Chinese are making cheap copies that need no yearly fee either. The one I'm looking at is on ebay here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230598190062) Obviously a UK based onward seller as you can get them even cheaper. I've messaged this guy and he says it will work with a 3G sim (older units had issues and needed 2G sims) plus has a movement (tembler?) sensor that can be programmed but he hasn't tested that out as yet.

Darren69
16-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Interesting, I'm wondering where would be a good place to hide one of those on a bike? In airbox?

Dirty
16-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Interesting, I'm wondering where would be a good place to hide one of those on a bike? In airbox?

It's smaller than a cigarette packet 64x46x17mm so could be tucked away in a few places. I'd guess under the seat is still favourite though.

wezrvf
16-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Looks like a great idea.

Is this on all the time or only when your bike moves? Would it drain the battery if left for a while do you think?

I am interested in one of these. I have read so much recently about bikes getting robbed it would be good to have this working if it did happen for sure !!!

Darren69
16-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Providing they couldn't find it. It sounds like it has a built in motion sensor so presumably it would activate when the bike moved and if it were using the bikes own battery it shouldn't cause a problem. It does say its magnetic though so might not be a good idea near electronics?

wezrvf
16-10-2013, 04:07 PM
probably be better to remove the magnets and get a few cable ties on it to be on the same side.

Dirty
16-10-2013, 05:02 PM
It would be a drain on the battery yes. I think the one I linked to comes with 2 battery's and claims 80 hour standby time. I don't know if the unit charges the battery when it's wired in and on. If it did and you used the bike regularly you could connect to a switched circuit that charged it up whilst you rode it. You'd only have 80 hours to find it if nicked though but that's probably longer than it would take scumbags to pull it apart anyway!

Dirty
18-10-2013, 11:57 AM
Just got a reply from the seller. The unit does charge the battery if wired in. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy 1.

utopia
18-10-2013, 03:20 PM
I've been pondering fitting a tracker for some time now.
I'll watch this thread with interest.

turbohobbit
18-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Sorry for being dense, but if you use a PAYG sim, when does the unit "draw down" from the account? And how would you top it up?

(As I said, pretty noob questions...)

Dirty
18-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Not sure what you mean by 'draw down'. Pretty much all PAYG sims can now be managed, topped up etc via the Internet. If I get one of these (who am I kidding? When I get one!) I'll get an Ovivo sim. I've been using them for my mobile for a year now. One time payment, currently £15 then 150 mins, 250 texts and 500mb data every month for free, no further charges so topping up wouldn't be an issue.

Darren69
19-10-2013, 04:41 AM
Not sure what you mean by 'draw down'. Pretty much all PAYG sims can now be managed, topped up etc via the Internet. If I get one of these (who am I kidding? When I get one!) I'll get an Ovivo sim. I've been using them for my mobile for a year now. One time payment, currently £15 then 150 mins, 250 texts and 500mb data every month for free, no further charges so topping up wouldn't be an issue.

Please keep us posted. I may add one to my xmas list!

Dirty
21-10-2013, 12:30 AM
More research needed!

For a start Ovivo don't allow trackers on their network

'Devices such as GPS trackers, satellite navigation, data-enabled cameras or other machine to machine devices are prohibited and will be disconnected from OVIVO’s network, resulting in your service being withdrawn.'

Whether they could tell I don't know but I don't want to risk them cutting off my main number as well. Apparently giffgaff are good value though and have no similar scruples.

I've seen an app that controls certain devices - TK102/103 etc. Seems worth getting one that can be controlled like that rather than just via SMS.

Funkatronic
21-10-2013, 10:57 AM
giffgaff should be ok

Darren69
21-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Could you use something like a 3G pay and go SIM. Would the device need to make out going calls or does it just respond when you call it? If the latter then you wouldn't ever need to top it up

Dirty
21-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Yes giffgaff seems to be ok. There are discussions on their forum about GPS tracker use and they have no silly rules.

The sim will use up credit when it sends texts. How many it sends depends on how often you ask it questions or adjust it's settings, which you do by sending it texts. So after the initial 'ooh a new toy, lets play around with it' wears off it probably won't use that much credit. I think you can tell it to send you a location text hourly or daily etc if you like.

Some units also seem to use data. i'm not sure if the one I linked to has that function.

turbohobbit
21-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Could you use something like a 3G pay and go SIM. Would the device need to make out going calls or does it just respond when you call it? If the latter then you wouldn't ever need to top it up

Yeah, thatg was my question only asked much better! Sorry Dirty!

Thanks for the answer tooo :)

wezrvf
21-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Infesting. Looks like you are our tester Dirty ;)

Darren69
21-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Infesting. Looks like you are our tester Dirty ;)

We can take it turns to hide your bike somewhere and then you have to find it :idea:

Saint aka ML
21-10-2013, 09:59 PM
We can take it turns to hide your bike somewhere and then you have to find it :idea:

To easy, he will just wire in remote start he Dirty? Did you get stopped already?

Dirty
23-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Bit the bullet!

Funk I'm guessing you have a Giffgaff account? Want to throw me your referral link?

Funkatronic
23-10-2013, 09:51 AM
hi mate

you can sign up here and they will give you an extra £5 credit with this link (http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/bdsol)

Dirty
23-10-2013, 12:03 PM
hi mate

you can sign up here and they will give you an extra £5 credit with this link (http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/bdsol)

Done :drunk:

Dirty
25-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Arrived today. Very neat little unit. Impressive box too, not that it matters but I was just expecting the basics. Sadly the sim hasn't arrived so can't play yet.

Comes with 2 battery doors, 1 with magnets, 1 without. The magnets work quite well. Probably not well enough to stay stuck underneath the bad guys car though :mand: It's proper secret agent spy bug gadget stuff!

chris_s2r
25-10-2013, 07:31 PM
I have a similar one (ebay_link (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-GPS-Motor-Bike-Car-Tracking-system-Device-GT02A-/141043107537?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20d6d306d1)) under the seat with gsm simcard inside. I am able to communicate/command it through sms and can obtain coords and some other data.
This is all great for your personal use though. Then, the question comes to mind, can I include in the specs when insuring the bike and could police use it to track my bike if stolen.
The short answer is no. Only certified one with monitoring subscription will do that and then police gets live feeds onto their cars and helis.
But surely if my bike would get nicked, I would definitely mention it to police, even if they would not be willing to have a look at it or would they?

Dirty
25-10-2013, 07:53 PM
I have a similar one (ebay_link (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-GPS-Motor-Bike-Car-Tracking-system-Device-GT02A-/141043107537?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item20d6d306d1)) under the seat with gsm simcard inside. I am able to communicate/command it through sms and can obtain coords and some other data.
This is all great for your personal use though. Then, the question comes to mind, can I include in the specs when insuring the bike and could police use it to track my bike if stolen.
The short answer is no. Only certified one with monitoring subscription will do that and then police gets live feeds onto their cars and helis.
But surely if my bike would get nicked, I would definitely mention it to police, even if they would not be willing to have a look at it or would they?

Looks good. I wanted one that came with a battery as my bike isn't regularly used and I don't have power in my garage for an optimiser.

Not sure about insurance. I'd hope the police would be interested if my bike had been stolen and I could tell them exactly where it is. I know they would be if I offered to go get it myself if they didn't!

utopia
26-10-2013, 01:27 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-GPRS-GSM-Tracker-SMS-Real-Time-Network-Bike-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Monitor-HE-/360762695127?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item53ff21ddd7

Looks like you can get a tracker for under a tenner !!!
.....for added atmosphere imagine a gleeful, Fagin-like figure, relishing an absolute steal......
I've tried to assess the technicalities, but its a long haul wading through the acronyms and skewed translations, so I've only got part way to an understanding.
Thus far I haven't found a reason not to buy the cheap one.
Can anyone else find a reason ?
Its smaller too.

And just to prove that I'm not a total luddite, note that this is an example of appropriate use of modern technology on a motorcycle of which I most definitely approve.

It did occur that perhaps police monitoring of, and response to, a moving target would be difficult if the system wasn't linked to their pursuit systems/vehicles.
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want to respond once the nicked bike became stationary again though, when presumably it may well lead them to the thieves.
Or am I being naïve ?

Dirty
26-10-2013, 08:38 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-GPRS-GSM-Tracker-SMS-Real-Time-Network-Bike-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Monitor-HE-/360762695127?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item53ff21ddd7

Looks like you can get a tracker for under a tenner !!!
.....for added atmosphere imagine a gleeful, Fagin-like figure, relishing an absolute steal......
I've tried to assess the technicalities, but its a long haul wading through the acronyms and skewed translations, so I've only got part way to an understanding.
Thus far I haven't found a reason not to buy the cheap one.
Can anyone else find a reason ?
Its smaller too.

And just to prove that I'm not a total luddite, note that this is an example of appropriate use of modern technology on a motorcycle of which I most definitely approve.

It did occur that perhaps police monitoring of, and response to, a moving target would be difficult if the system wasn't linked to their pursuit systems/vehicles.
I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want to respond once the nicked bike became stationary again though, when presumably it may well lead them to the thieves.
Or am I being naïve ?

That looks like a good un, and a lot cheaper than mine!

I'd still buy mine again for a few reasons. I had a lot of questions about the unit and it's operation. Now cheap goods come flying out of China but answers to questions rarely do. The seller was very very helpful and answered what must have been a stream of tedious questions quickly and with useful info. I could have got my questions answered then bought a cheaper one from China but, apart from not feeling right, if it hadn't worked or been a cheap copy it would have been karma. Plus this way I can continue to badger the seller with queries and only have to return it to NI if it goes wrong.

My unit is a TK102-2 they seem to be well known and well used. There is 3rd party software, websites, tracking sites and bunches of discussion about them online so any problems and some other poor sod has probably already done it and I just need to google the answer.

Mine is mainly battery powered which I wanted as I can't optimate mine (no power in garage) and didn't want to drain the battery. I think the unit you posted has an internal battery to send a message if the main power is cut? The auction isn't quite clear on that. It could be that it uses TK internals and would be compatible with all the stuff out there.

I don't think you are being naive about the police. Of course they are results led nowadays sadly but I think if you called them and told them your stolen bike was at xx somestreet avenue and you knew because it has a tracker they'd investigate.

Mine is working well so far. Still getting to grips with it but the main thing I wanted, which was to be sent a text if it was moved, works fine. Can also get a map reference any time I like just by calling it. Haven't mastered the GPRS or online tracking yet though. Will stick the disk in one day and attempt it via a pc soon.

wezrvf
27-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Sounds great dirty. Certainly something I am going to look at as I have the same issue as you with no power in garage.

So have you tested it in as much as moving your bike with it set and seeing if it sends you a text, location etc.

Will also be interested to see how much it costs on the sim.

As far as the police go I wouldn't think you would have a problem. I am not their biggest fan and find they shy away from any real police work however I had my first bike arm robbed off me at a petrol station by the biggest scally ever seen. Two days later when I was in a car low and behold my bike goes flying past me. I called the police as I followed it and gave them directions. Every bone in my body wanted to run him off the road hopefully ending in a fatality but one, I didn't want to wreck my pride and joy and two it might not have been the same guy. anyway, long story short within 5 mins a couple of police cars overtake, box him in he drops the bike causing loads of damage the police grab him and throw him in the back of the car. Turns out it was the same guy but because I couldn't pick him out of a line up he got away with it and I got a bill close to £1k to repair my bike, mainly fairings. Great system.

Good tracker though! Haha

Dirty
27-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Well I'm still getting used to it. One thing everyone can learn from my test run is, if you use a giffgaff or a sim without free texts buy a free text bundle (giffgaff £7:50) just for the first month. My first day playing with it burned over £5 in texts! Luckily I bought a bundle before setting off for Box Hill this morning. I took it with me and turned off the shock function but forgot about the move function so it sent me a text every time it registered a move of over 200 metres. By the time I got there I had 49 texts telling me where it was! As I couldn't remember the code to turn it off I had another 60+ by the time I got home :scratch:

Now like any gps device it likes a good clear signal which it won't get in my garage under a 2 storey house. Nevertheless it can still get a position using the phone signal so I left move function on when I parked. Even with a clear signal a device can 'move' a bit so I set the sensitivity to 500 metres but still got texts. Ended up at 9999 metres max but that didn't stop it so turned off again. I tested it by calling and it still gave me a decent fix on the position, surprisingly accurate. Perhaps the move function is better for when it's parked outdoors?

Yet to test online tracking

Dirty
27-10-2013, 07:24 PM
So sorry yes Wezrf, it works fine like that. In fact if the bike moved now I would get 2 texts, 1 from the shock function and 1 from the move. Calling it also makes it send me a text with location and a link to google maps

wezrvf
28-10-2013, 12:05 PM
that's fab isn't it.

Keep us all updates on how it is to live with RE: costs, loads of texts, drain on battery etc.

What a great cheap solution for what some people pay £100's of pounds for !

MerlinPV12
29-10-2013, 06:39 PM
I'm joining in a bit late on this one and realise that this option is not for everyone because of a) the initial outlay of £299 and b) the £100 a year subscription for monitoring but Biketrac from Road Angel has impressed me so far, movement fence, tracking, bike down etc all nice features and I've tested the first two which worked well and thankfully not yet tested the 3rd! One thing which I thought was good, I hadn't moved my bike for a couple of days and it was in an underground car park so the signal wasn't getting through to their server, so they proactively contacted me to ask if this was "normal" which was a good start.

I had mega trouble getting insurance as a returning biker with no recent bike no claims, so I was "encouraged" by Ducati insurance to fit this as a Ducati approved piece of kit....Plus - if the bike is within 1500m of home it has to be chained to a ground anchor and have the disc lock on...

Dirty
29-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Sounds good merlin.

Having a few issues with mine. Could be me being thick but I'm starting to fall a little out of love with it. It's stopped giving me alerts. Will reset it tomorrow and see how it goes :(

Dirty
08-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Well I ended up sending it back! Some sort of memory fault I think. Every time I took the battery out to put a charged one in it stopped sending me alerts. It would still react, knew my phone number, would send me a location if asked but no shock or movement alerts. The seller was very good and offered a replacement or refund. I took the refund.

Despite the failure I think it was a good little unit. I was just unlucky. The interface was a bit fiddly but once set up it did what it was supposed to. The reason I didn't bother with a replacement is because I didn't want to wire it into the bike battery so I had to change the internal battery every 3 days which would be a bit of a faff, especially if the unit gets hidden deep into the bike. If I used it daily I'd definitely get one and install it properly.

jonzi
08-11-2013, 07:11 PM
I have the one that Merlin talks about.

HAd it for 2 years and no problems with it so far.

If the bike is in for a service I get lots of texts and calls from Road Angel to see if the bike is ok. and when some nobber knocked me off they called to check all was good. and my girlfriend got a text to say the bike was down. which is kinda good I think.

But then you pays your money... it ain't cheap. But Rosso Corso are doing the now. See if Ray will give you a deal? Tell him I sent you though. and I want commision.

Dirty
08-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Yeah that does sound like a good unit but not keen on a yearly charge and again it needs to be plugged into the bikes battery which I don't want. I'd get another eBay one the same no hesitation if I ever use a bike as a commuter.