UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Security - GSM GPS Tracker devices

Old 16-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Security - GSM GPS Tracker devices

I was thinking of getting one of these or something similar. I wondered if anyone here had one or knows if they are worth the money?

I know Datatool used to do one (Robs thread) but times move quickly and the Chinese are making cheap copies that need no yearly fee either. The one I'm looking at is on ebay here Obviously a UK based onward seller as you can get them even cheaper. I've messaged this guy and he says it will work with a 3G sim (older units had issues and needed 2G sims) plus has a movement (tembler?) sensor that can be programmed but he hasn't tested that out as yet.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Interesting, I'm wondering where would be a good place to hide one of those on a bike? In airbox?
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Interesting, I'm wondering where would be a good place to hide one of those on a bike? In airbox?
It's smaller than a cigarette packet 64x46x17mm so could be tucked away in a few places. I'd guess under the seat is still favourite though.
Old 16-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
wezrvf

Looks like a great idea.

Is this on all the time or only when your bike moves? Would it drain the battery if left for a while do you think?

I am interested in one of these. I have read so much recently about bikes getting robbed it would be good to have this working if it did happen for sure !!!
Old 16-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Providing they couldn't find it. It sounds like it has a built in motion sensor so presumably it would activate when the bike moved and if it were using the bikes own battery it shouldn't cause a problem. It does say its magnetic though so might not be a good idea near electronics?
Old 16-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
wezrvf

probably be better to remove the magnets and get a few cable ties on it to be on the same side.
Old 16-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Dirty
Bockloks

It would be a drain on the battery yes. I think the one I linked to comes with 2 battery's and claims 80 hour standby time. I don't know if the unit charges the battery when it's wired in and on. If it did and you used the bike regularly you could connect to a switched circuit that charged it up whilst you rode it. You'd only have 80 hours to find it if nicked though but that's probably longer than it would take scumbags to pull it apart anyway!
Old 18-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

Just got a reply from the seller. The unit does charge the battery if wired in. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and buy 1.
Old 18-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I've been pondering fitting a tracker for some time now.
I'll watch this thread with interest.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #10
turbohobbit

Sorry for being dense, but if you use a PAYG sim, when does the unit "draw down" from the account? And how would you top it up?

(As I said, pretty noob questions...)
Old 18-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Dirty
Bockloks

Not sure what you mean by 'draw down'. Pretty much all PAYG sims can now be managed, topped up etc via the Internet. If I get one of these (who am I kidding? When I get one!) I'll get an Ovivo sim. I've been using them for my mobile for a year now. One time payment, currently £15 then 150 mins, 250 texts and 500mb data every month for free, no further charges so topping up wouldn't be an issue.
Old 19-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Not sure what you mean by 'draw down'. Pretty much all PAYG sims can now be managed, topped up etc via the Internet. If I get one of these (who am I kidding? When I get one!) I'll get an Ovivo sim. I've been using them for my mobile for a year now. One time payment, currently £15 then 150 mins, 250 texts and 500mb data every month for free, no further charges so topping up wouldn't be an issue.
Please keep us posted. I may add one to my xmas list!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Old 21-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

More research needed!

For a start Ovivo don't allow trackers on their network

'Devices such as GPS trackers, satellite navigation, data-enabled cameras or other machine to machine devices are prohibited and will be disconnected from OVIVO’s network, resulting in your service being withdrawn.'

Whether they could tell I don't know but I don't want to risk them cutting off my main number as well. Apparently giffgaff are good value though and have no similar scruples.

I've seen an app that controls certain devices - TK102/103 etc. Seems worth getting one that can be controlled like that rather than just via SMS.
Old 21-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #14
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
giffgaff should be ok
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Could you use something like a 3G pay and go SIM. Would the device need to make out going calls or does it just respond when you call it? If the latter then you wouldn't ever need to top it up

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage