PDA

View Full Version : can cleanin' ?...

craigie
16-01-2004, 07:58 PM
how do you all keep your exhausts clean?

my cans are DP, round and, I think, aluminium (they were on it when I bought it and although I'd like to believe they are titanium...wishful thinking) and getting very badly pitted. is there anyway I can get rid of this or am I stuck with it?

also whats the best way to keep the pipes clean, any tips welcome.

hope your all winning the war on chills and spills

cheers

Craig

Dave in USA
17-01-2004, 05:51 AM
Used to spray my Remus ones with WD-40, wipe them down & then re-apply a thin coat of WD again on a rag...Kept the worst of the crap off them....

:)

spacemonkey
17-01-2004, 08:51 PM
What do you mean by this word "cleaning"???

craigie
17-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
What do you mean by this word "cleaning"???

Its something I've been trying but it only seems to last about a day before all my work is ruined.

wish I had your ignorance (in a banterish way)

cheers

Craig

spacemonkey
18-01-2004, 02:12 PM
If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face...

My theory goes like this: it'll only get dirty again in no time. During the winter the most it'll get is a good blast of cold soapy water and/or a good cold rinse. Warm water will dissolve the road salt into a nasty corrosive solution...
When I can be bothered to wash it (I'd rather ride it..) it still comes up nice. The engine was a bit peppery when i got it years ago but I don't think it has really got worse. When I move to Spain I will take it out and repaint it properly. Til then I don't worry about it. The only thing I don't like is chain lube every where, so I fitted an auto oiler and that got rid of that once setup right. Oh, and I do give it all a good scrub before a service, bit like brushing your teeth before going to the dentist...