PDA

View Full Version : MV 2013 Rivale and Brutale 800 worth changing to?

simontt
21-11-2012, 11:45 AM
Both look stunning and on paper seems to have the Mevo licked. Procing seems keen too.

Rivale just won the most beautiful award at the Milan show - beating the new Hypermotard SP in the process.

Would it be a worthwhile alternative to the monster? How reliable is it and the dealer support compare to Ducati?

http://mvagusta.co.uk/

Scott1
21-11-2012, 12:47 PM
That is very nice, I would like to have a look at one in the flesh so to speak.

utopia
21-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Not for me.
I've always thought Brutales to be massively overstyled, and in that sense quite ugly.
The Rivale seems to continue the trend.....what's going on with that three-pipe curvy exhaust can ffs ?
Added to that, there's one cylinder too many, and plumbing, and complicated electronics too.
Power to weight ratios are impressive, but I don't really need any more power than I've already got from my 2-valve 750, which weighs the same.
And although the price may be keen, it'll still depreciate more in its first year than the total current value of my monster, and will be much more of a target for thieves.
But most of all, it'll never have the torquey character of a v-twin.

Does that make me sound really old ?
It does somewhat remind me of the old giffers who used to wax lyrical about their Velocettes in days gone by.

Chromiumballs
21-11-2012, 01:01 PM
I sold my original M900 in 06 because the Brute was so temping, is was a stunning bike to look at & the attention to detail on the early ones was wonderful.
But...... moving from a big twin to a mega revving 750-4 did not suit my riding style one little bit, also the suspension was uber-sportbike hard (even on the softest settings). On the majority of roads down ere in Cornwall it was akin to wrestling with an angry bear!!
I'd advise taking one on an extended test down all your favourite routes before parting with any hard-earned.
I sold mine in favour of an S4R after 9 months:mand:

Quantox
21-11-2012, 02:27 PM
It does somewhat remind me of the old giffers who used to wax lyrical about their Velocettes in days gone by.

You mean like my old scruffy Venom Thruxton?

Cheers

Q
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/ColinSteer/Velocette/MyVenomThruxtonv2.jpg

neilo
21-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Not for me...either of them...I'm not a fan of the styling...

tricolore
21-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Red coloured frame looks familiar ........

Jumping off a twin onto a screaming 4 is a bit of a shock, at first, I had the original 750 in 2007 and it sounded like it needed another five gears. Beautiful looking bikes with fabulous detail. I had it for 12 months and had no problems with it.

Pomp1
21-11-2012, 04:21 PM
We've had a look at it at the show, build quality isn't impressive, clutch is mighty hard and you wait untill you try to get as much as a spare foot peg.
The rivale in the flesh is very nice at the front, but the rear just doesn't do it for me..

utopia
21-11-2012, 04:45 PM
You mean like my old scruffy Venom Thruxton?
Cheers
Q

Yeah, just like that...except I certainly wouldn't call that one scruffy.
But no offence mate, I meant it with a certain fondness (as I'm sure you realised).

And, wow.....you have carpet tiles in your workshop !!!!
The ideal solution....nice and cosy, easy on the knees, firm enough to take a centrestand, and individually replaceable in the event of a spillage.
Impressed.

Quantox
21-11-2012, 05:24 PM
Yeah, just like that...except I certainly wouldn't call that one scruffy.
But no offence mate, I meant it with a certain fondness (as I'm sure you realised).

And, wow.....you have carpet tiles in your workshop !!!!
The ideal solution....nice and cosy, easy on the knees, firm enough to take a centrestand, and individually replaceable in the event of a spillage.
Impressed.

No offence taken, I was poking fun at myself as being one of the "old giffers" or is that "gaffers"?

Sorry to disappoint but that's not my workshop. I do have a painted concrete floor with an assortment of carpet tiles flung around to miss the occasional incontinence of the old bikes. Strange but the only oil-tight old bikes I have are the two bevel twin Dukes, every thing else seems to mark its territory now and again, except for the M900 of corse.

But the workshop does have a radiator, lathe, mill, beer fridge and miscellaneous other machine tools, welding kit etc.

Here's one corner.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/ColinSteer/Workshop/M7FrontNow8quot.jpg

Cheers

Q

strumbuddy
21-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Q
Lurverly Velo there, if you are in Keswick do you know my mate Ian who has the yellow Darmah and a 160 Elite if I remember correctly....did some miles in the Highlands this summer with him and have to say the Darmah is well rapid!!!
S

strumbuddy
21-11-2012, 06:11 PM
Q
Just checked, Ian is in Kendal so youve prob never heard of him!!! I'll get me coat and clear me desk!!!:rolleyes:
S

Char
21-11-2012, 06:14 PM
looked at a Brutale 990 bought the 848 SF instead

glad I did - wouldnt have been the same at WDW :mand:

slob
21-11-2012, 06:55 PM
have you tried googling "MV reliability"?

MrsC_772
21-11-2012, 07:11 PM
The Rivale looks good in the flesh, though I get a sense that MV have lost their mojo a bit a the moment - I really didn't like the new paint schemes for the F4s.

LVC
21-11-2012, 07:24 PM
Loving the look of the Rivale - would keep the S4 obviously but would happily add the MV to the garage.

Quantox
21-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Q
Lurverly Velo there, if you are in Keswick do you know my mate Ian who has the yellow Darmah and a 160 Elite if I remember correctly....did some miles in the Highlands this summer with him and have to say the Darmah is well rapid!!!
S

Sad to say that I don't know anyone in Keswick with a Darmah, especially a "yellow" Darmah and I prefer yellow to red...........
Perhaps you could ask him to give me a shout on 74536.
There was a geezer a couple of years back that was always tooling around on a red 916 but I never knew his name, he was always going too quickly.
The 900GTS is good fun but I bought the Darmah SSD last week as it's a lot closer to the 1980 900SS bevel that I had. At least it's got the 40mm carbs, SS desmo heads and cams and sounds great.

Cheers

Q

Quantox
21-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Q
Just checked, Ian is in Kendal so youve prob never heard of him!!! I'll get me coat and clear me desk!!!:rolleyes:
S

I know an Ian Johnson from Grayrigg (ex Classic Bike journo), near Kendal but he hasn't any Dukes. Then there's Mike Bracken in Kendal, he has a fine collection of lightweight singles, 160,175 and 200 all in concours condition but no Darmah. I'd be interested to have a crack with your pal Ian at some time.

Cheers

Q
Just back down to the workshop to carry on with some work on the Bendy.

Mr.Number
22-11-2012, 04:16 AM
I dont think MV's will be as reliable as the Monsters...tried and tested twins.

Lovely bikes though.

simontt
22-11-2012, 08:54 AM
The bike will need to be as reliable as the monster to fulfil the daily commute duties, with the only maintenance being routing service, chain re-oil and washed every 6 months!

May I understand that MV is regarded as equivalent to Ducati with similar Kudos / exclusivity and performance / image / engineering excellence?

My local dealer Blackdog motorcycles, who also represent Kymco / Sinnis / Sym (?) - has anyone expereinced with them?

slob
22-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I was at a presentation a couple of years ago and Ducati where it was stated as the only European manufacturer to get close to the Japanese in terms of reliability (based on new bike warranty claims, about twice the %age of a Japanese bike and half the %age of the next best European manufacturer). All present were amazed that it wasn't BMW... but there you go.