UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » MV 2013 Rivale and Brutale 800 worth changing to?

Old 21-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
simontt

MV 2013 Rivale and Brutale 800 worth changing to?

Both look stunning and on paper seems to have the Mevo licked. Procing seems keen too.

Rivale just won the most beautiful award at the Milan show - beating the new Hypermotard SP in the process.

Would it be a worthwhile alternative to the monster? How reliable is it and the dealer support compare to Ducati?

http://mvagusta.co.uk/
Old 21-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Scott1

That is very nice, I would like to have a look at one in the flesh so to speak.
Old 21-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Not for me.
I've always thought Brutales to be massively overstyled, and in that sense quite ugly.
The Rivale seems to continue the trend.....what's going on with that three-pipe curvy exhaust can ffs ?
Added to that, there's one cylinder too many, and plumbing, and complicated electronics too.
Power to weight ratios are impressive, but I don't really need any more power than I've already got from my 2-valve 750, which weighs the same.
And although the price may be keen, it'll still depreciate more in its first year than the total current value of my monster, and will be much more of a target for thieves.
But most of all, it'll never have the torquey character of a v-twin.

Does that make me sound really old ?
It does somewhat remind me of the old giffers who used to wax lyrical about their Velocettes in days gone by.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Quantox

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
It does somewhat remind me of the old giffers who used to wax lyrical about their Velocettes in days gone by.
You mean like my old scruffy Venom Thruxton?

Cheers

Q

Last edited by Quantox; 21-11-2012 at 04:52 PM..
Old 21-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantox View Post
You mean like my old scruffy Venom Thruxton?
Cheers
Q

Yeah, just like that...except I certainly wouldn't call that one scruffy.
But no offence mate, I meant it with a certain fondness (as I'm sure you realised).

And, wow.....you have carpet tiles in your workshop !!!!
The ideal solution....nice and cosy, easy on the knees, firm enough to take a centrestand, and individually replaceable in the event of a spillage.
Impressed.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Quantox

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Yeah, just like that...except I certainly wouldn't call that one scruffy.
But no offence mate, I meant it with a certain fondness (as I'm sure you realised).

And, wow.....you have carpet tiles in your workshop !!!!
The ideal solution....nice and cosy, easy on the knees, firm enough to take a centrestand, and individually replaceable in the event of a spillage.
Impressed.
No offence taken, I was poking fun at myself as being one of the "old giffers" or is that "gaffers"?

Sorry to disappoint but that's not my workshop. I do have a painted concrete floor with an assortment of carpet tiles flung around to miss the occasional incontinence of the old bikes. Strange but the only oil-tight old bikes I have are the two bevel twin Dukes, every thing else seems to mark its territory now and again, except for the M900 of corse.

But the workshop does have a radiator, lathe, mill, beer fridge and miscellaneous other machine tools, welding kit etc.

Here's one corner.

Cheers

Q
Old 21-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
strumbuddy

Q
Lurverly Velo there, if you are in Keswick do you know my mate Ian who has the yellow Darmah and a 160 Elite if I remember correctly....did some miles in the Highlands this summer with him and have to say the Darmah is well rapid!!!
S
Old 21-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Chromiumballs

Hmmmmm MV

I sold my original M900 in 06 because the Brute was so temping, is was a stunning bike to look at & the attention to detail on the early ones was wonderful.
But...... moving from a big twin to a mega revving 750-4 did not suit my riding style one little bit, also the suspension was uber-sportbike hard (even on the softest settings). On the majority of roads down ere in Cornwall it was akin to wrestling with an angry bear!!
I'd advise taking one on an extended test down all your favourite routes before parting with any hard-earned.
I sold mine in favour of an S4R after 9 months
Old 21-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
neilo

Not for me...either of them...I'm not a fan of the styling...
Old 21-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
tricolore

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Red coloured frame looks familiar ........

Jumping off a twin onto a screaming 4 is a bit of a shock, at first, I had the original 750 in 2007 and it sounded like it needed another five gears. Beautiful looking bikes with fabulous detail. I had it for 12 months and had no problems with it.
tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Pomp1

We've had a look at it at the show, build quality isn't impressive, clutch is mighty hard and you wait untill you try to get as much as a spare foot peg.
The rivale in the flesh is very nice at the front, but the rear just doesn't do it for me..
Old 21-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
Char
We're all mad here

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
looked at a Brutale 990 bought the 848 SF instead

glad I did - wouldnt have been the same at WDW
Old 21-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
slob

have you tried googling "MV reliability"?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
MrsC_772
Silver Member

The Rivale looks good in the flesh, though I get a sense that MV have lost their mojo a bit a the moment - I really didn't like the new paint schemes for the F4s.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #15
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Loving the look of the Rivale - would keep the S4 obviously but would happily add the MV to the garage.