PDA

View Full Version : Rev counter

graeme s
11-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Just bought a '95 Monster 600 - its impossible to get into neutral at standstill, the sidestand is a liability, the amount of steering lock is a joke, there's not even space for a set of overtrousers, its not particularly fast - I love it!

But I can't get used to not having a rev counter - I am reving it too much/too little? Ducati quoted £250 for a rev counter - any more reasonable options? A set of shift lights would suffice.

NattyBoy
11-12-2003, 10:21 PM
check out spareshack.com..he has a number of options and you can get a discount for being a member. Click 'link' and 'sponsor' at top of page.

I have the DP Carbon Led jobbie that I really like, but alot of our guys have also got the anodised roadracing one with an analogue rev counter which looks really neat and is cheaper then the DP items.

Let me know if youd like to see a pic of my rev counter if that helps...

And stick with it..chuck her some TLC and youll love it !!!

I bought an old 600 initially to sell on an make some money..that was over a year ago and its the best little duke ive ever had (my 888 rarely gets a look in and its more comfortable than my old 916 !!!

Cheers and welcome to the club!

Nat

graeme s
12-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Ta - can't see the rev counters you mention on the site, but I'll give them a ring. How does it fit onto the dashbord? I've currently got a tinted fairing (can't decide whether to keep it) - would it fit underneath this. A pic would be good.

In the meantime, could anyone suggest max speeds in each gear?

gary tompkins
12-12-2003, 06:55 PM
Here's a photo of the Road Racing dash and analogue rev counter.

I've got some picteres of a DP LED tacho on my PC at work, I'll post them on Monday unless someone else beats me to it ;)

Mr Cake
12-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Graeme - If you must ride by numbers, STACK do a great tacho with user-configurable cylinders. You can get them from Demon Tweeks circa £200.

Gary - Those clip-ons are ridiculous! Where can I get some?! :D

gary tompkins
12-12-2003, 10:38 PM
No idea mate - it's just a picture I dug out of my archive and it was owned by a guy called D. Durberry. They do look different though - perhaps one of our resident spares experts can help.

Another shot of his bike...

NattyBoy
15-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Here you go Graeme..as promised..

Nat

gary tompkins
15-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Nat beat me to it with his photo - but I've got one thats lit up :p

I found the LED's too bright at night with mine, and because there's no dimmer control there's not much you can do about it.

NattyBoy
15-12-2003, 05:18 PM
At least your rev counters back lit !!! I did ask someone but forgot how to get this working....any tips Gary (im not overly fussed as I rarely use the bike at night ...

Nat

gary tompkins
15-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Hmmm... that a good question. Delving into what passes for my pretty p*ss poor memory, I think the backlight got its 12v feed from the connection to the coil. I don't remember making any other connections, and the backlight was on all the time on mine, which again suggests it got a feed from the ignition circuit rather than the lighting side.

Maybe the bulb had blown in your tacho :confused:

NattyBoy
15-12-2003, 05:39 PM
hmm..couldnt see a bulb connection in the back of the dash but Ill have another look. Yep..mine takes its feed from the coil..another winter project!! (cant do bugger all now as the batterys shafted. Was using the optimate on the other bike and its dead as a dodo. When I connect the monnie battery to the optimate the red light comes on above the 'x' mark which I think means its dead. (Havent got my instructions any more so cant be sure - maybe it just needs a good charge ???:confused: )

Nat

graeme s
15-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Ta - the carbon shift lights look nice - any idea how much they were?

Mr Cake
15-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Agreed. I wouldn't mind some of those myself.

Dave

graeme s
15-12-2003, 06:35 PM
My other thought is using some programmable race car shift lights, which might be quite cheap...

gary tompkins
15-12-2003, 08:32 PM
I hope you two are sitting down..... my LED tacho cost £230 from the now extinct Chris Clarke Motorcycles. It's a well known fact that DP stuff costs an arm and a leg, but how I laughed when my first one packed up after just 3 months. It took a letter and numerous phone calls to CCM over a further 4 months before I managed to get it exchanged on DP's 12 month warrentee :mad:

Needless to say I don't buy a lot of DP bits for the monster these days :rolleyes:

I've seen a couple of adverts in mags for a sequential LED shift-lite that has about 10 LED's on a curved mounting. It auto dims at night and only costs about £50-60 quid. Could be a cheaper option? ;)

BTW race car type shift lights don't usually work on Ducati's as they can only be programmed to work with engines that have 4 or more cylinders.

Duncan
15-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Heres the Roadracing unit. You use the existing speedo and bulb holders fitted in the roadracing housing and I love the look of it.

NattyBoy
16-12-2003, 07:18 AM
Keep a look out on (worldwide) ebay as there have been a few on there (there was one going about 2 months ago - sods law!). I paid less than half the new price from a generous UKMOC member (thanks .. you know who you are !!!).

The krauts always seem to have a lot of monster stuff for sale on ebay !!

Also..stick a note on the wanted section on this website..thats how I got mine as a member had one lying around in his garage

Good luck Graeme...

Nat

superlight3
16-12-2003, 07:25 AM
;)

DesmoDog
10-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Don't know if you ever got your LED tacho - I know that Datatool (of the annoying alarm fame) do a version. From what I remember it was quite nifty, but maybe I'm losing the lpot..

Dannym
15-08-2005, 01:39 PM
Hello,

I have just bought a 96 900 with one of these units on it...

Sadly it doesnt work!

When you turn the ignition on all leds cone on the phase out.

When you start the bike it works then a few secs later either doesnt or just flickers with 1 led on!

Any ideas what it could be??

Checked all wiring but nothing loose!

THanks,

Danny.

Plum
15-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Nat beat me to it with his photo - but I've got one thats lit up :p

I found the LED's too bright at night with mine, and because there's no dimmer control there's not much you can do about it.

Christ on a bike. It revs to 4 grand. Did it spit its guts out after Garry?

Zimbo
15-08-2005, 02:50 PM
Datatool Revlight, about £30 - £40 on ebay. Works a treat, pick up from one of the coils, programmable for rpm progressively or as a shift light, auto dims at night.

gary tompkins
15-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Hello,

I have just bought a 96 900 with one of these units on it...

Sadly it doesnt work!

When you turn the ignition on all leds cone on the phase out.

When you start the bike it works then a few secs later either doesnt or just flickers with 1 led on!

Any ideas what it could be??

Checked all wiring but nothing loose!

THanks,

Danny.

Yep - my first one on the 600 went AWOL after just 3 months :mad: Worked ok for a while when you first switched on but packed up after a few miles. Would re-set after you switched ignition off but was knackered, so replaced by CCR under warentee. 2nd one lasted a bit better but eventually packed up as well, not too good for a DP 'quality' part costing over £200 :rolleyes:

Dannym
16-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks,

I thought these units only worked with BIkes with Digital clocks??

Danny

gary tompkins
16-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Nah - picks up a signal from one of the coils. Type of clocks not an issue and monsters have analoge clocks anyway, the only digital bit being the trip/temp readout on later bikes.

klause
18-08-2005, 12:43 AM
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4130/clocks9hc.th.jpg (http://img294.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clocks9hc.jpg)

£50 off ebay, just rewired them into my orginal idiot lights and used my speedo.