UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Rev counter

Old 11-12-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
graeme s

Rev counter

Just bought a '95 Monster 600 - its impossible to get into neutral at standstill, the sidestand is a liability, the amount of steering lock is a joke, there's not even space for a set of overtrousers, its not particularly fast - I love it!

But I can't get used to not having a rev counter - I am reving it too much/too little? Ducati quoted £250 for a rev counter - any more reasonable options? A set of shift lights would suffice.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:21 PM   #2
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
check out spareshack.com..he has a number of options and you can get a discount for being a member. Click 'link' and 'sponsor' at top of page.

I have the DP Carbon Led jobbie that I really like, but alot of our guys have also got the anodised roadracing one with an analogue rev counter which looks really neat and is cheaper then the DP items.

Let me know if youd like to see a pic of my rev counter if that helps...

And stick with it..chuck her some TLC and youll love it !!!

I bought an old 600 initially to sell on an make some money..that was over a year ago and its the best little duke ive ever had (my 888 rarely gets a look in and its more comfortable than my old 916 !!!

Cheers and welcome to the club!

Nat
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 04:14 PM   #3
graeme s

Ta - can't see the rev counters you mention on the site, but I'll give them a ring. How does it fit onto the dashbord? I've currently got a tinted fairing (can't decide whether to keep it) - would it fit underneath this. A pic would be good.

In the meantime, could anyone suggest max speeds in each gear?

Last edited by graeme s; 12-12-2003 at 05:07 PM..
Old 12-12-2003, 06:55 PM   #4
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Here's a photo of the Road Racing dash and analogue rev counter.

I've got some picteres of a DP LED tacho on my PC at work, I'll post them on Monday unless someone else beats me to it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mon_2a.jpg (58.9 KB, 237 views)

Last edited by gary tompkins; 12-12-2003 at 07:00 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:28 PM   #5
Mr Cake

Graeme - If you must ride by numbers, STACK do a great tacho with user-configurable cylinders. You can get them from Demon Tweeks circa £200.

Gary - Those clip-ons are ridiculous! Where can I get some?!
Old 12-12-2003, 10:38 PM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

No idea mate - it's just a picture I dug out of my archive and it was owned by a guy called D. Durberry. They do look different though - perhaps one of our resident spares experts can help.

Another shot of his bike...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (64.5 KB, 164 views)
Old 15-12-2003, 04:12 PM   #7
NattyBoy

DP Carbon LED Rev Counter Picture

Here you go Graeme..as promised..

Nat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash.jpg (35.3 KB, 182 views)
Old 15-12-2003, 05:15 PM   #8
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Nat beat me to it with his photo - but I've got one thats lit up

I found the LED's too bright at night with mine, and because there's no dimmer control there's not much you can do about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dp led tacho_2.jpg (74.0 KB, 145 views)
Old 15-12-2003, 05:18 PM   #9
NattyBoy

At least your rev counters back lit !!! I did ask someone but forgot how to get this working....any tips Gary (im not overly fussed as I rarely use the bike at night ...

Nat
Old 15-12-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Hmmm... that a good question. Delving into what passes for my pretty p*ss poor memory, I think the backlight got its 12v feed from the connection to the coil. I don't remember making any other connections, and the backlight was on all the time on mine, which again suggests it got a feed from the ignition circuit rather than the lighting side.

Maybe the bulb had blown in your tacho
Old 15-12-2003, 05:39 PM   #11
NattyBoy

hmm..couldnt see a bulb connection in the back of the dash but Ill have another look. Yep..mine takes its feed from the coil..another winter project!! (cant do bugger all now as the batterys shafted. Was using the optimate on the other bike and its dead as a dodo. When I connect the monnie battery to the optimate the red light comes on above the 'x' mark which I think means its dead. (Havent got my instructions any more so cant be sure - maybe it just needs a good charge ??? )

Nat
Old 15-12-2003, 05:43 PM   #12
graeme s

Ta - the carbon shift lights look nice - any idea how much they were?
Old 15-12-2003, 06:01 PM   #13
Mr Cake

Agreed. I wouldn't mind some of those myself.

Dave
Old 15-12-2003, 06:35 PM   #14
graeme s

My other thought is using some programmable race car shift lights, which might be quite cheap...
Old 15-12-2003, 08:32 PM   #15
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

I hope you two are sitting down..... my LED tacho cost £230 from the now extinct Chris Clarke Motorcycles. It's a well known fact that DP stuff costs an arm and a leg, but how I laughed when my first one packed up after just 3 months. It took a letter and numerous phone calls to CCM over a further 4 months before I managed to get it exchanged on DP's 12 month warrentee

Needless to say I don't buy a lot of DP bits for the monster these days

I've seen a couple of adverts in mags for a sequential LED shift-lite that has about 10 LED's on a curved mounting. It auto dims at night and only costs about £50-60 quid. Could be a cheaper option?

BTW race car type shift lights don't usually work on Ducati's as they can only be programmed to work with engines that have 4 or more cylinders.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 15-12-2003 at 08:36 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote