PDA

View Full Version : Which tyres - M1100s

Jayos
20-04-2012, 09:16 AM
I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but searching didn't bring many results.

I have just bought my first monster M1100s and it needs some new rubber. My last bike was a GSXR 750 K7 which used to get treated to Super corsa's as I like the sticky rubber.

The monster is a different animal and would like some advice on what you would recommend. I would think super sticky would be practical with all that lovely torque. Super Corsa's would'nt last 5 minutes - or would they? :confused:

I'm not sure if it's possible to do a poll on this forum but here are the choices I put together.

Metzetler K8
Pirelli Angel
Dunlop Roadsmart
Bridgestone 023
Something else

Would be great to get some opinions on each

Votes so far

7 Votes - Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
2 Votes - Dunlop SportSmart
7 Votes - Michelin Pilot 3
3 Votes - Bridgestone 023
1 Vote - Bridgestone s20

Poll now added - just worked out how to do it :)

Twentytoo
20-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Dunlops........but I use the SportSmart......2000 miles so far with three track days and still loads in them. I had Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas before which were fab but gone at 1800 miles and 3 track days

d8mok
20-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Im going through simlair dilemma now.

Im gonna go for some diablo rosso II.

Jan (Belgium)
20-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I'll be trying the Dunlop Roadsmart II next - probably will get them just before riding to WDW.

The first pair where Bridgestone 016 - lasted about 12.000km - my current tyres are Pirelli Diablo II's and they have done close to 12.000km.
Out of the two I tried the Pirelli's are defenately better in feel and grip + I have the feeling the bike turns just that little bit better compared to the Bridgestones I had.

Bonzo
20-04-2012, 12:32 PM
I cant comment on durability (cos I havent had the bike long enough) but Im well impressed with the Pirelli Diablo II's that came on the bike.

Ive always rated Dunlops, but when these wear out Ill be refitting the Pirelli's.

Rally
20-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I had Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's and didn't like them, changed for Michelin 3's and haven't looked back since. Personal choice and confidence is what it is all about mainly though, go with what you like for whatever reason that may be. That will give you the confidence you need to push them!

Jayos
24-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Tempted by the Diablo Rosso II's at the moment.
I agree Rally - It's all about confidence at the end of the day :)

holty
24-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I have just fitted a set of Bridgestone s20 and so far so good. I will report back when they are worn out.

The Bridgestone B16 lasted about 3500 after that I had a set of sporty Avon's which covered about the same miles as the B16.

Most of the rubber out there is pretty good these days.

RickyX
25-04-2012, 04:25 AM
I had the same question myself recently.
I have always used SuperCorsa SC1/2 on my 748/916/749 so when I got the M1100S last summer I was unsure what tyres to use when they wore out. The Bridgestone BT14's on it were not very grippy for my riding style....
I have now fitted Diablo Rosso Corsa's as my mate uses them all year round on his Fireblade including Trackdays. So far they have been good however have only really run them in after 150 miles.

Hope this helps.

Thirdway
25-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Have BT023s

Would love to tell you how fantastic they are, but quite honestly it's a light bike with fairly moderate power output. I did 3500 miles around Europe fully loaded with gear for 12 days. We did Autobahns at 120mph which were like rivers, slippery, oil covered motorway exits and entrances, we did wet alps, dry alps, hot days, freezing days with some snow.

In the UK I slithered gently around a bend on some farm spillage to find several riders had come off on the same bend. The tyres gripped enough to save my skin.

There is still plenty of meat on the rear so they are lasting well, no white lining either, despite around 1500 miles of rapid motorway riding and full throttle take offs from the toll booths.

I never noticed them, they are worn almost to the edge, so they certainly get used.

By comparison the Sportsmats on the ST4s have done less than 2K the profile on the rear is gone and they are wobbling over lines and bumps. Excellent when new and great confidence wet and dry. I noticed them more, not sure what that actually means.

neilo
25-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Nothing wrong with the Diablo Rosso IIs that came with the bike...:thumbsup:

If was to go for something else, they would still be Pirellis or Metzelers...

Spareparts
25-04-2012, 12:06 PM
My next set of hoops will be Dunlop SportSmarts. Amazing all round tyre.

Scott1
25-04-2012, 04:38 PM
Another shout for Bridgestone 023's, I've never had a tyre like it, superb grip and confidence giving, even in this crappy weather.

mark.
03-05-2012, 04:22 PM
pilot 3's are the nuts sticky enough to get yer knee down 3500 miles and still going well

Thirdway
03-05-2012, 11:27 PM
My next set of hoops will be Dunlop SportSmarts. Amazing all round tyre.

Might be OK on the S4R. There is some thought that the lighter M1100 suffers a bit due to the stiffer carcass. Seen a few guys struggling on the Street Triple where the standard first generation Roadsmarts were preferred The Sportsmarts felt great when they were new on the ST4s but the bigger engines eat them quite quickly. It's just something to add into the equation.

bex
04-05-2012, 12:31 AM
+1 for the Road 3's

MrsC_772
04-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Another vote for the BT023s - much better than the OEM tyres, especially for grip in the wet, and they're lasting amazingly well on my 696 (10,000 miles including the Mallory Park track day and still have life left in them).

gary tompkins
07-05-2012, 03:43 PM
+1 for the Road 3's

and another :thumbsup:

J.P
08-05-2012, 07:58 AM
I had a pair of the Bridgestone 23's fitted last weekend before my ride up to Arrow Mill for the weekender. I've had Michelin Power 2CT's for years now and fast road, / track use they are brilliant so I wanted to see what the new sport-touring tyre from Bridgestone was like.
They felt fine. I'm no bike tester so can't give you much , other than to say I felt very confident on them.
I also had the opportunity to get my bike dyno'd this weekend and after each run was able to have a look and a feel of the rear tyre close up. I can confirm that a solid fast run makes the center of the tyre Very sticky indeed when heated up. And the center of the tyre is the hard bit for touring, so I've very happy that on the track they'll be very good indeed.

Also after the ride home from Arrow Mill yesterday in the rain I felt completely ok with them too.
They aren't as good as Pirelli Road 3's in the wet, but they are still good.

SunEye
08-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Michelin Pilot Road 3 suit my riding. The grip in the wet is outstanding - ideal for British weather. The hard wearing central section is great for mile munching touring. They give enough grip to scrape the pegs when cornering. Not only do they grip well in the low temperatures of a UK winter, but they still perform well in the 45 degree heat of a Spanish summer. Mine have just about lasted 7,000 miles and I'll stick another pair on for this summer's touring.

samieb
08-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Michelin's either PP 2CT or PR 3's as Rally mentioned.

Have fitted 2CT's to the Monster and will be fitting PR 3's to the 'Naughty' Multistrada. :flamed:

urbanfireblade
16-06-2012, 08:40 AM
I've always favoured Bridgestones since my Fireblade days and 014's, Bandit 1200 had the 020's and my latest ones are the 023's and they are very very good, in the wet they are remarkable! Very stable too. And best of all is even after 2.5k they show no signs of wear! I know other tyres give the same grip and maybe a fraction more, but longevity the 023's are in a different league. I ride quite hard and to date the 023's have yet to lose grip in a corner. I will definetely buy them again.

Rally
16-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Blimey, is this still an active thread? I would have worn another set out before you choose at this rate! :D

Twentytoo
16-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Blimey, is this still an active thread? I would have worn another set out before you choose at this rate! :D

Not if you were on Sportsmarts. I've just never seen tyres throw so much rubber over the bike and still have loads of life after 2500 miles. Just fab.....And I'm a Pirelli fan

pegboy
16-06-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a brand new set of pirelli's Diablo

open to offers, if you choose this tyre

Linkhttp://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=44789&highlight=tyres

Thirdway
25-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Despite looking at all the new rubber and using Sportsmarts and 023s my dealer suggested Mitch pilot 2s. He just laughed at the new stuff for road use and said I was throwing money away for no reason but it was my call. Having them fitted tomorrow. The Sportsmarts were exceptional I have no complaints in the wet or dry and they gave heaps of confidence.......but........and it's a big but.......having calculated the actual mileage, it was under 1500 miles. The front tyre has worn to a step on the right hand side and the rear has lost its profile, the tyres would get a few hundred more miles but the handling has gone to pot.

neilo
25-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Nothing wrong with the Diablo Rosso IIs that came with the bike...:thumbsup:

If was to go for something else, they would still be Pirellis or Metzelers...

Although...the DRII rear lasts ~2,500 miles, and the front ~3,500... That's ~6p/mile! :-D

So I'm definitely thinking of some sports touring rubber next.

jonzi
27-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Although...the DRII rear lasts ~2,500 miles, and the front ~3,500... That's ~6p/mile! :-D

So I'm definitely thinking of some sports touring rubber next.

I have DRII's and they seem to be flatting at the top (or is it the bottom?).

First bike and still learning and stuff so I am not sure at what point I should replace.

They have been on for 3000 miles.

I'll get a pic up if I can. But when you say "lasts for around 2500 miles" what do you actually mean?

neilo
27-06-2012, 08:01 PM

First bike and still learning and stuff so I am not sure at what point I should replace.

I'll get a pic up if I can. But when you say "lasts for around 2500 miles" what do you actually mean?

Wear markers reached across 60% of the tyre = bald in the middle :-O

Thirdway
28-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Yes look for the wear markers, when they are visible the tyre is finished. I often get new tyres as soon as the handling goes off and it's white lining.

The thing about modern tyres is that they are incredibly thin. Older tyres had big chunky tread but the new stuff can be paper thin when the profile is flattened.

neilo
28-06-2012, 10:11 AM
The thing about modern tyres is that they are incredibly thin. Older tyres had big chunky tread but the new stuff can be paper thin when the profile is flattened.

Agree! And once you get to a certain point the tyre can deteriorate very quickly afterwards...before you know it you can see the steel belts peeking out from the inside! As Thirdway says, the handling would have gone to pot before then anyway.

Jayos
08-09-2012, 08:47 AM

HAHA :)

Chose Pirelli Diablo in the and really pleased with them!

But Michelin Pilots are very popular!

Wasta
08-09-2012, 01:37 PM
I have Sportsmarts on the R1, love 'em. They seem to last forever and are so good in the wet.

citr2cv
19-09-2012, 06:24 PM
got super corsa sticky tires grip ace