UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Which tyres - M1100s

View Poll Results: Which tyres?
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 7 25.93%
Michelin Pilot 3 5 18.52%
Dunlop SportSmart 8 29.63%
Bridgestone 023 3 11.11%
Bridgestone S20 1 3.70%
Other 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
Jayos

Bike: M1200s
Which tyres - M1100s

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but searching didn't bring many results.

I have just bought my first monster M1100s and it needs some new rubber. My last bike was a GSXR 750 K7 which used to get treated to Super corsa's as I like the sticky rubber.

The monster is a different animal and would like some advice on what you would recommend. I would think super sticky would be practical with all that lovely torque. Super Corsa's would'nt last 5 minutes - or would they?

I'm not sure if it's possible to do a poll on this forum but here are the choices I put together.
  • Metzetler K8
  • Pirelli Angel
  • Dunlop Roadsmart
  • Bridgestone 023
  • Something else

Would be great to get some opinions on each
Votes so far

7 Votes - Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
2 Votes - Dunlop SportSmart
7 Votes - Michelin Pilot 3
3 Votes - Bridgestone 023
1 Vote - Bridgestone s20
Poll now added - just worked out how to do it

Last edited by Jayos; 14-05-2012 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: Update vote
Jayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #2
Twentytoo

Bike: M696
Dunlops........but I use the SportSmart......2000 miles so far with three track days and still loads in them. I had Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas before which were fab but gone at 1800 miles and 3 track days
Twentytoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
d8mok

Bike: M1100s
Im going through simlair dilemma now.

Im gonna go for some diablo rosso II.
d8mok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Jan (Belgium)

I'll be trying the Dunlop Roadsmart II next - probably will get them just before riding to WDW.

The first pair where Bridgestone 016 - lasted about 12.000km - my current tyres are Pirelli Diablo II's and they have done close to 12.000km.
Out of the two I tried the Pirelli's are defenately better in feel and grip + I have the feeling the bike turns just that little bit better compared to the Bridgestones I had.
Old 20-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Bonzo

I cant comment on durability (cos I havent had the bike long enough) but Im well impressed with the Pirelli Diablo II's that came on the bike.

Ive always rated Dunlops, but when these wear out Ill be refitting the Pirelli's.
Old 20-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I had Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's and didn't like them, changed for Michelin 3's and haven't looked back since. Personal choice and confidence is what it is all about mainly though, go with what you like for whatever reason that may be. That will give you the confidence you need to push them!
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #7
Jayos

Bike: M1200s
Tempted by the Diablo Rosso II's at the moment.
I agree Rally - It's all about confidence at the end of the day
Jayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
holty

Bike: M1100
I have just fitted a set of Bridgestone s20 and so far so good. I will report back when they are worn out.

The Bridgestone B16 lasted about 3500 after that I had a set of sporty Avon's which covered about the same miles as the B16.

Most of the rubber out there is pretty good these days.
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #9
RickyX

I had the same question myself recently.
I have always used SuperCorsa SC1/2 on my 748/916/749 so when I got the M1100S last summer I was unsure what tyres to use when they wore out. The Bridgestone BT14's on it were not very grippy for my riding style....
I have now fitted Diablo Rosso Corsa's as my mate uses them all year round on his Fireblade including Trackdays. So far they have been good however have only really run them in after 150 miles.

Hope this helps.
Old 25-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
Thirdway

Have BT023s

Would love to tell you how fantastic they are, but quite honestly it's a light bike with fairly moderate power output. I did 3500 miles around Europe fully loaded with gear for 12 days. We did Autobahns at 120mph which were like rivers, slippery, oil covered motorway exits and entrances, we did wet alps, dry alps, hot days, freezing days with some snow.

In the UK I slithered gently around a bend on some farm spillage to find several riders had come off on the same bend. The tyres gripped enough to save my skin.

There is still plenty of meat on the rear so they are lasting well, no white lining either, despite around 1500 miles of rapid motorway riding and full throttle take offs from the toll booths.

I never noticed them, they are worn almost to the edge, so they certainly get used.

By comparison the Sportsmats on the ST4s have done less than 2K the profile on the rear is gone and they are wobbling over lines and bumps. Excellent when new and great confidence wet and dry. I noticed them more, not sure what that actually means.
Old 25-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #11
neilo

Nothing wrong with the Diablo Rosso IIs that came with the bike...

If was to go for something else, they would still be Pirellis or Metzelers...
Old 25-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Spareparts

My next set of hoops will be Dunlop SportSmarts. Amazing all round tyre.
Old 25-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #13
Scott1

Another shout for Bridgestone 023's, I've never had a tyre like it, superb grip and confidence giving, even in this crappy weather.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
mark.

pilot 3's are the nuts sticky enough to get yer knee down 3500 miles and still going well
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
Thirdway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spareparts View Post
My next set of hoops will be Dunlop SportSmarts. Amazing all round tyre.
Might be OK on the S4R. There is some thought that the lighter M1100 suffers a bit due to the stiffer carcass. Seen a few guys struggling on the Street Triple where the standard first generation Roadsmarts were preferred The Sportsmarts felt great when they were new on the ST4s but the bigger engines eat them quite quickly. It's just something to add into the equation.

Tags
tyres