PDA

View Full Version : New Generation vs Old Generation Monsters

LeMarsu
28-02-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi!

Some of you may remember me! I has a couple of the Old Gen of Monsters, I was wondering how do the new ones compare to old ones? Ride/Engine/Maintenance/Value/etc

During my absence form these waters I have been riding a BMW K1200r, this has been a great bike but my day to day journey is now mostly town. If I am going to come back to a monster it is going to be a M1100 S with ABS.

Thanks

LeMarsu
:moto:

Albie
28-02-2010, 09:03 AM
I love mine.Had 2 old school m900 and s4 916. They were and are fond memories and regretful sales but I fancied moving on to something new. It had to be special to tempt me and it ticked all the boxes.Power and handling is great. Lighter than anything I have had. I cant actually ride for toffee but the bike is friendly. Two up is effortless and that is where I had the biggest dilemma to face.The comfort is great with the touring seat but you will notice you get thrown into the tank more as the rideing position is more over the tank.

Mine is due its first service in June so not sure on price.

No defects arisen in the 9 months of ownership. Not had that oil leak a few have had.

Bikes easy to clean being a mono sider.
Brakes are good and not touched suspension at all.

Value.
1100 engine,Ohlins front and rear and some carbon
Mine was a new bargain and I doubt anyone will beat it. £8450 otr.
Haggle for a deal if you fancy one or a nearly new one. I was going to buy the demo for £8300 but he didnt want to sell it in the end.
Go and test ride one for an hour at least. You will smile but if its not your thing you will know. Various people have ridden mine and said WOW !!! but I reckon they are happy with old school. I wish I could have both but I know which one I would ride. The 1100S would win.

Kato
28-02-2010, 09:04 AM
In my opinion there is no comparison to be made, as the so called new generation are NOT and should never have been called Monsters, now should you consider a new one and then set about changing the frame, swingarm, seat, exhaust, tank and headlight, you might end up with some thing approaching a real Monster, my advice would be if its a Monster you really want then by a proper one and give it a bigger engine if the 1100 appeals.

slob
28-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Don't sit on the fence Rob!

CK & AK
28-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Hi Sami - long time no speak mister!

Dont listen to Kato - he's just a grumpy old grouch that spends more time in his garage than getting out & riding anywhere these days ..... :twak: ;)

Go & have a test on the 1100 (or the 696) - its more nimble than the 'mid' generation Monsters & has far far more grunt than the comparable models in the 1st generation Monsters. Your 800ie for example is not as nimble or as responsive as the current 696 - and they also both put out the same rwbhp approx - and both outdo the M900 carbies (as stock) for performance.

Must catch up this summer old bean - take care :heart:

CK

southfrance
28-02-2010, 11:39 AM
I ride an M695, if I could go out tomorrow and buy any bike it would be the M1100, it's fantastic. One thing I really like are the new bars and steering, it feels somewear between a Hyper and the older Monster, really light and flickable. The 95hp's are all I need, especially with that awesome torque, for day to day riding and it devours the twistys. With the Termi's fitted it turns into the devil him/her self , I remember describing it as " like sitting on a giant sex toy " in one of my more spirited reviews. The only thing I would change is the seat from the standard slightly slippery one to the more grippy touring seat. Go on, you know you'll love it !

SF

Thirdway
28-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Well this is my first Monster, a nice red 1100S. I hardly gave a glance to the previous generation Monsters and I remember seeing an early 900 while shopping for a BMW GS and it just looked dated and a bit folorn.

I did look at the S2R and quite liked it but never enough to buy. My eye was drawn to the 916 for looks or the Uglistrada as the sensible option. Neither gave me the idea that they would be sensible buys because of the reputation for sky high servicing and poor reliability.

The new Monster range was the first time I had even considered buying one. I was in the shop buying a new Street Triple when I came across the 696 and thought 'hmm that looks great, very slim, nicely up to date and well built'. It stuck in my mind just how slim it looked, more FS1E than the usual bikes (I mean that in a good way). The impression was of a lithe, easy to ride bike with great style and build quality.......something missing from the early generation IMO as they just looked really old fashioned.

That impression stayed with me while I was riding the Striple for a couple of years and fancied a change. In the back of my mind was the idea of buying the bigger Monster, although sanity was moving me towards a Fireblade :biggrin:. It was only the dealer who knows me well enough that suggested I would be bored with the Fireblade after a few months. I tentatively suggested my thoughts about the Monster, I was almost embarassed to mention the bike as it was so far away from the bikes I normally ride. The dealer grinned and said 'perfect' and had just bought an 1100S for himself :biggrin:

So that was that. I bought it their and then, touring seat and all and I absolutely love it. Never touched the suspension, added a Oberon clutch actuator (don't really think I needed it but such is the fetish of Monster Modifications we all seem to know so well). Would consider some rear sets as the passenger peg arm looks a bit 'forth bridge' and quite like the Leo Vinci stainless slip on cans.

Now, looking back after owning one for a few months I understand them a lot better and I can see that an old generation bike isn't the thing I once thought it was. I still prefer the newer model - which IMO is every inch a Monster as it sticks to the less is more philosophy while having a subtle update and some welcome modifications-but that doesn't stop me appreciating the old model either and had I known what I know now, then I might have had one earlier.

My only thought is that aircooled = Monster and watercooled =something else. The monster is about stripped back simplicity and as long as it retains those elements it's a Monster.

Jan (Belgium)
28-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Hello,

Got myself an 1100S last year in november,
Haven't driven it yet, since I was recovering from a collarbone fracture and all snow and ice during winter. before I had an M800.

The old one was defenately easier to work on yourself, the new one on the other hand is more finished. Wires are cleaner, etc... on the new one, but they are more hidden. simple example is changing the rear indicators to led units. With the old monster you just had to lift the saddle grab the wire and change the indicators whereas with the new one, lift the saddle and there's nothing, you need to remove some covers first before you fin the wires. Same with tha battery, on the old one: lift the fuel tank and there you have the battery. On the new one you need to remove 23 (yes 23) bolts before you can even get to the battery.

Albie, I think I'm pretty close to what you paid: 10.500 € for mine including Termi system and tail tidy. (and it has only 670km!!!!)

Nickj
28-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Depends what you call old and new monsters, it might be that first, second and third generation would be better?
Based on my 3-400 ish miles a week in all weathers

1st gen up to 2000ish (600, 750, 900).. My 2000/2001 750 would be that. Fueling is by carbs otherwise same as same as really. The motor feels a bit snappier than the IE I had, handling is pretty much the same. Fuel economy maybe slightly better than the later IE.
No problem reliability wise other than odds related to a broken wire (fixed in 5 before I scooted off to work one morning) but hey it had experienced 10 years of flexing so really not so bad.

2nd gen post 2000/2001 (620, 750, 900).. My 750IE would have been that. Fueling was injection, never had any problems with it apart from the rubbish clock system. Handling not much changed over the previous version.
If it wasn't for my experience with the clocks I'd say no problems reliability wise.
Parts costs and availaibility not any notivable difference

3rd gen would be anything from around about now ish I guess or when the engine sizes moved on from the old 600/620, 750, 900 formula or they become less classic monster design, dumpy trellis etc.

Oh and those water cooled things get a category of their own :idea: should we call it an 'interesting diversion' ?? ;) LOL

Nickj
28-02-2010, 01:36 PM
sanity was moving me towards a Fireblade :biggrin:.

170 ish top end, between 150 and 170 bhp depending on year model is sanity?? :mand:

Smooth ride though but typical UJM

ladybird
28-02-2010, 02:18 PM
The new ones don't have a nice face or tank or arse.
Not having ridden any of them I can't say much more than that.

Thirdway
28-02-2010, 03:36 PM
170 ish top end, between 150 and 170 bhp depending on year model is sanity?? :mand:

Smooth ride though but typical UJM

Thats why the :D

Dealer said........"fantastic bike, fast, smooth, easy handling, great brakes, good ride quality, almost perfection. Not for you, it would end up sitting in your garage while you found something else to do". He knows me pretty well. Many times he had pushed me towards a Duc and I ended up with KTM 950SM, BMW 1100GS, Streeet Triple, Speed Triple and Fazer 1000.

He11cat
28-02-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't like the look of the new ones sorry....
I like the big headlight and I like my metal tank... and I am a stick in the mud..
I recall seeing the first ones out and thinking I likey...

There are very few "new" bikes I like to be honest.
But I am not expert to be fair and tend to trundle everywhere....
Visually I like the oldies but goodies...

Nickj
28-02-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't like the look of the new ones sorry....
Visually I like the oldies but goodies...

Hahahaha That'll be me then :spin: cept for the good bit :D

And you have to feel happy to be seen on what you've got

Diego
28-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Its looks vs performance. This, ofcourse, all basked in an subjective teint. By your comments its clear to old gen lovers (including moi) you want the latter LOL...

p.s. as NickJ stated above....as long as you're the one happy with it.

jerry
01-03-2010, 01:44 AM
The new Monsters certainly are more powerful and new technology is probably an improvement but they look so Ugly so i wont be selling either my S4 or m750 for a new monster .

Kato
01-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Couldn't agree more Jerry, spot on mate........

cairojay
01-03-2010, 08:00 AM
The new Monsters certainly are more powerful and new technology is probably an improvement but they look so Ugly so i wont be selling either my S4 or m750 for a new monster .

I think my S4RS would make mincemeat of the new Monsters, also having ridden the 1100s whilst it is certainly very easy to handle and light it is also very skippy and doesn't feel as planted as mine. Brakes on the s4 are far more progressive and not as grabby as the 1100. they are completely different bikes and don't really merit comparison other than I think the 1100 is a better commuter bike.

LVC
01-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Have to agree with Jerry here - won't be selling my S4 for any of the newer models.

Evolution is a wonderful things but I do feel that whilst the technology has improved the mechanics the design/visual part has regressed. But again taste is a personal thing.

I choose my S4 for the grin factor and my Kwaka if I'm leading 60+ bikers on a run as I'm not as "involved" in the rider to bike relationship on the kwaka as I am on the S4 and leaves me free to concentrate on other things. This "not as involving to ride" aspect is something newer model Monster owners have also told me to be the case - but I'm sure there are others who'll disagree and to be fair sometimes it's very "tiring" to ride the S4 on long distances whereas the Kwaka is a "no brainer".

Ride several and chose the one you like - that way you'll be happy no matter what us lot say.

Thirdway
01-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Never heard such a lot of baloney :p

New Monster is ''not involving'' :thumbsdown:, in what dimension is that true? I have never had a Monster up until now, but most of my bikes have had a strong element of involvement (bar the Fazer 1000 and awful VFR800-now there was an ugly bike) and the M1100 is far more involving than any of them.

As for S4s and the like. Get over it, that bike doesn't compete with the new Monster anyway, you should be comparing it with the Streetfighter. The Monster was supposed to be a simple bike, so adding the complexities of the 8 valve water cooled engine and associated plumbing went right against the ethos. Of course the S4 is faster it's got a massive great sports bike engine wedged in the frame.

I don't think any of the aircooled Monsters look ugly. I prefer the more modern look but I'm not exactly against the old style either. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One thing I really like about the M1100 is that it makes a half decent tourer. Really comfortable riding position compared to the older bike (for me that is). It aslo has a normal amount of steering lock........something my Street Triple and Speed Triple lacked.

They are all nice bikes, they are all fun to ride. The old generation Monster is not going to return to production and the new bikes will also be phased out in time. If you always buy second hand bikes this is no problem, but if you want a new bike with a warranty I'm afraid you have little choice if you still want a Monster.

He11cat
01-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Hahahaha That'll be me then :spin: cept for the good bit :D

And you have to feel happy to be seen on what you've got

Naughty step for you then.

Im not 100% happy with what I got but had to have it due to legs or lack of!
Make do and mend is the word..but still like the old monster!

walpole68
01-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Funny how road tests of the old bike never did very well but they love the new one,i like the look of S2/S4 but riding them feels like they have a hinge in the middle and i should have a HGV licence to ride one,so would i swap i 1100S in for a older model,i dont think so.

Scootaboy
01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
well, my opinion on the new shape has gone backwards and forwards over the last couple of years - from liking them more to liking them less to liking them more - but only just :)

Comparing my old 695 to the new one really puts things into perspective for me - the new 696 (in white) is amazing to look at, while the 695 is showing its age a bit.

I love the S2R but I think if I had the money I'd go for a new shape over the old (while still loving the old shape)

and they defiantely look better in the flesh (that is, the new shape looks better in the flesh compared to a pic of one on the internet)

scrapps
01-03-2010, 03:42 PM
I am with the old school boys and girls. Albie was very kind and let me have a play on his M1100 and its great to ride and i dont dislike the way it looks. But i still like the old school round light metal tank monsters. My 900ie has been great it still has the looks of the original but is free of carb problems of the 1st gen and not as costly as a S4.

jerry
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I have ridden the New Streetfighter and Monster 696 and 1100 , The 696 was nice and light and the low seat is great for me with my pain and mobility issues and it went as well as my M750 But i could not get past the looks of the thing.....sorry its orrible !
The 1100 is very powerful and light and handles well and the finish is exquisite but NOOOO! i hate the look .

I like the streetfighter a lot ,but is it that much better than my S4 which is heavily modified ......sorry it has more power on paper but in the real world its not that much quicker If I had a spare £14,000 (£28,000 in Thailand ) i might be tempted ....no i will wait till they can be had for £4000.

I would rather spend £14,000 on the new Norton Commando .

I dont like the 848,1098 or 1198 either they look like Hondas ...but 999 YUMMY !

Thirdway
01-03-2010, 05:44 PM
:look:
The 1100 is very powerful and light and handles well and the finish is exquisite but NOOOO! i hate the look .

Now that is the right answer. Not 'It's ugly', simply put, you don't like the look and that is fine.

As to the difference between the S4 and the Streetfighter :look: Don't like either of them, just anpther option if you don't like the Tuono/SpeedTriple/Brutale. been there and done that. Better off with a Hornet or a Street Triple IMO.

JMo
01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr289/JMoandpiglet/other%20pix/IMG_6663_2.jpg

xxx

(although the new ones are very nice to ride...)

Albie
01-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I hate these threads. They get all taken out of context. It seems to be we are not allowed to move on in things even though our bike makers Ducati produce a new shaped monster. Its the same concept but more nimble and powerful just like what you would expect in the real monster world. Its leaner and not necessarily better looking in all departments but as the word says its a MONSTER not a Barbie doll.

A monster is any fictional dangerous or hideous creature, usually in legend or horror fiction. The word monster derives from the latin word monstrum, meaning "omen", from the root of monere ("to warn") and also meaning "prodigy" or "miracle".

The word connotes something wrong or evil; a monster is generally morally objectionable, physically or psychologically hideous, and/or a freak of nature. It can also be applied figuratively to a person with similar characteristics.

I love old monsters and old bikes as much as you all to the fact I have a 1995 600ss now for a very good price. Now thats Pretty.

Lets get over this and try to help someone choose the path they may want to go down. I would love to have my m900 and s4 in the garage too but fact is I wouldn't ride them but just look a drool over them. The 1100s does it all and better than the s4 other than the more grunt. Just 6 hp down.

Long Live the Monsters all of them

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Monster%201100S/Albie3.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Monster%201100S/Albie2-1.jpg

LVC
01-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Now that is the right answer. Not 'It's ugly', simply put, you don't like the look and that is fine.

That's rich coming from someone who started their earlier reply with "Never heard such a lot of baloney" :dunce:

uksurfer
01-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I hate these threads. They get all taken out of context.

Quite agree, everyone has there own favourite

Old monster/new monster, water cooled/air cooled

Live and let live :)

Pomp1
01-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Seeing the Motocorse version made me change idea about the new monster, the under-engine exhaust gives it that little bit more balance IMO, the success of the old monster I think was a lot to do with being able to change and swap parts from other bikes and the wealth of accessories that came out in the long life span of the bike. I think Ducati once more have been ahead of the styling curve, with a bike 4/5 years ahead of others in terms of design. Surely some design clues will appeals to some rather than others, but is a fine piece both in terms of engineering and style.
The only critic I would move to Ducati was to do the Streetfighter rather than a S4-like engined Monster.
Would I buy one? no if it means selling mine, but I understand why people that own one like them so much, is a worthy successor.
Still, the OP will have a much clearer idea now...not.;)

Albie
01-03-2010, 07:36 PM
I had the money for a streetfighter S. It isnt a Monster so I didnt by it. By Katos Law it probably is a Monster as it has the complete trellis frame unlike the New Monster and the ultimate Desmosedici which also has a V4 or L4 engine and not the norm.

What I never liked about the new monster was the exhaust over the engine and will change it. I never liked the headlight until I used it and when viewed on it looks round.

It does look tall the 1100 but thats to my advantage. My s4 dragged its ar$e as did the m900. They were truly great bikes otherwise I wouldn't be on my 3rd Monster of three evolutions.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Albies%20Monster%20pics/Pics109.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Albies%20Monster%20pics/M900-50k.gif

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Albies%20Monster%20pics/Pics203.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Albies%20Monster%20pics/BBQ2008037.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Albies%20Monster%20pics/Scotland2005038.jpg

StuartJames
01-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I hate these threads. They get all taken out of context. It seems to be we are not allowed to move on in things even though our bike makers Ducati produce a new shaped monster. Its the same concept but more nimble and powerful just like what you would expect in the real monster world. Its leaner and not necessarily better looking in all departments but as the word says its a MONSTER not a Barbie doll.

A monster is any fictional dangerous or hideous creature, usually in legend or horror fiction. The word monster derives from the latin word monstrum, meaning "omen", from the root of monere ("to warn") and also meaning "prodigy" or "miracle".

The word connotes something wrong or evil; a monster is generally morally objectionable, physically or psychologically hideous, and/or a freak of nature. It can also be applied figuratively to a person with similar characteristics.

I love old monsters and old bikes as much as you all to the fact I have a 1995 600ss now for a very good price. Now thats Pretty.

Lets get over this and try to help someone choose the path they may want to go down. I would love to have my m900 and s4 in the garage too but fact is I wouldn't ride them but just look a drool over them. The 1100s does it all and better than the s4 other than the more grunt. Just 6 hp down.

Long Live the Monsters all of them

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Monster%201100S/Albie3.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/albies4/Monster%201100S/Albie2-1.jpg

Awesome photos, awesome bike. Wish I had an 1100!
The new Monsters are stunning to look at, the ride is perfect, handling fantastic and the chics love them. Unless you're Casey or Rossi there's nothing it between old and new Monsters, as it's the rider that makes the bike fast.

I have a 696 and have no worries about keeping up and passing bigger bikes. There's nothing wrong with the new engine, yes it could be better, but it's much improved over the previous models.

Having said that, there are some classics that will always be hard to beat, the Chrome special editions, Alien Monster, S4RS, and Diegos bike is timeless...rock n roll dude :)

Diego
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Diegos bike is timeless...rock n roll dude :)
cheers fella..dont forget the Matrix edition LOL

Thirdway
02-03-2010, 07:05 AM
That's rich coming from someone who started their earlier reply with "Never heard such a lot of baloney" :dunce:

That's exactly right.

animaluk
02-03-2010, 07:14 AM
I dont like the 848,1098 or 1198 either they look like Hondas ...but 999 YUMMY !

999 yummy ????? to the back of the class young man and finish your lines

Like the old monster find the new ones a bit small, as for the watercooled debate had to be done as tuno,speed triple,hornet,brutale where stealing there sales as the old 900 just did'nt cut it in the performace stakes (not a slight on the 900 i love em)

999 uneversally hated as an ugly bike (though lucky it performed on the race track), from a company that made the best looking sports bike of all time (916/996/998)

848,1098,1198 are things of lust just ride one the are just awsome

but what ever your happy with go for it (oh in my opinion the streetfighter is somthing else entirely) that is the latest shot at the supernaked market which again has left ducati behind

JMo
02-03-2010, 07:32 AM
I can see where Jerry is coming from with the 999 - sure it's not pretty, but he did say Yummy not Pretty...

I agree the 916 is beautiful - as Animal says, perhaps the prettiest sports-bike of all time, but the 999 is far more distinctive, and in time (perhaps that time is now?) will be regarded as one of Ducati's defining machines - it's dominance in WSB has set the (sporting arm of the) company up for the International recognition and success it enjoys today? - I would even suggest that without the (sporting) success of the 999, I doubt Ducati would have been able to secure the level of sponsorship for their MotoGP programme in quite the same way?

As for the current generation of sports bikes (1198 etc) - I think Animal has hit the nail on the head - they've been designed to compete with the competition... but conversely, have not set any particular standard of their own?

J xx

ps. and the new Monsters look like toys... fun toys I admit, but there is less elegance and more purpose to them - a bit like the 999 in fact?!

Pomp1
02-03-2010, 08:17 AM
999, another bike which was years ahead of its time.

LouSCannon
02-03-2010, 08:24 AM
Been keeping out of this (Although finding it a very good and interesting read, I love how this forum can talk about things like this without it descending in to anarchy)...

Have to say though, I'm a fan of the 999, hoping to get myself one in a few years time, always wanted one, love em to bits!

animaluk
02-03-2010, 09:40 AM
yes the 999 is a fantastic ride just was never sold on the looks. I think this was partly cause I was a massive foggy fan thus wanted a 916

But as pointed out and what i was getting at the 999 dominated WSB like no other bike, The 1098's 1198's will carve out there own way in time

916/996/998

This video explains quite well why it was so important

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6K2CUdqURg

But with out the monster the company would not be anymore it is the bike that saved them, as the saying goes behind every ducati superbike is a legion of monster !!

Scott1
02-03-2010, 09:45 AM
I like them both, they had to progress really didn't they, I mean what next after the S4RS Testrawatsit.

I think the new design looks so much better in the flesh than in pics, I parked my old 600 next to a 696 the other day, which to be honest is the bike I would really like if I had any cash but they both look better than most other bikes you see around, the old one is slightly more distinctive but then I bet it doesn't break down every time it rains, personally I'd have one of each.

JMo
02-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Hee hee - and it was beaten by the Honda Cub! - are Discovery out of their minds?!

Great video though...

J x

jerry
02-03-2010, 11:11 AM
916,996 ,998 = beautiful
749,999= more beautiful

1098,848,1198 =Bland but nice .

He11cat
02-03-2010, 12:50 PM
If you want performance and sportyness superbike buy one of the 999, 916's or 1098's.

If you want charecture something you can adapt , customise I guess and make your own buy a monster.

Different breed of bikes I feel..

The sporty models are growing on me but I would opt for a Superlight myself.
This is not to say some of the bigger Monny's don't offer performance at all , I hope you get what I mean.

However you could park 10 red 999's in a row and it would take a while to spot your mates bike lol.

Park a row of Monsters up and most would not be the same.
I love the diversity of this site , and the fact most bikes have been adapted , tweeked or what have you,so most are different to each other.

I must say the ride on some of those bikes probably awesome...
I just couldn't have a bike that I couldn't do much with looks wise had to stay plain and well you know what I mean!!....

Plus I am one of the few who like yellow Dukes..ok ok :twak: I know!!!

Scootaboy
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I dont quite go with that arguement - you could customise a honda c90 as much as an old monster, doesn't mean it's better :)

Or you could customise a new monster as much as an old monster - well almost but you will be able to without a doubt in the next few years.

slob
02-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Hated the look of the new Monsters when I first saw them, they started to grow on me the minute I test rode CK's 696.

Mr.Number
02-03-2010, 03:43 PM
This is just a thread of opinions on taste really.

For me, the M1100 doesnt come close in appearance to the old S2R's, which i believe were a master stroke in design.

Thirdway
02-03-2010, 06:15 PM
I disliked the 999 when it came out. The 916 I loved from the moment I saw it.

The 999 has grown on me to such an extent that I would consider it's smaller sibling as a second bike.....particularly the R.

For me the MV F4 is now the most beautiful thing on the road.

Pomp1
02-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I disliked the 999 when it came out. The 916 I loved from the moment I saw it.

The 999 has grown on me to such an extent that I would consider it's smaller sibling as a second bike.....particularly the R.

For me the MV F4 is now the most beautiful thing on the road.

The 916 and the MV share the same designer dad, incidentally :rolleyes:

Thirdway
03-03-2010, 01:01 PM
The 916 and the MV share the same designer dad, incidentally :rolleyes:

The new one has been tweaked by another designer. The old one was OK but the new one is stunning.

LeMarsu
03-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Thank you for the comments on the looks of the new monsters I will take these into consideration!

Does anyone know if the ABS is any good? I know on the BMW K1200r the ABS is very good!
Also does are they any mods out there such as single sided/under engine exhausts?

Thanks Again to the Monster family for all these posts!

He11cat
03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
@scootaboy
Soz is me being out of context as usual!!

I was saying or trying to... That the thing I love about the Monster be it old or new is its diversity
Take a look at our calendar speaks for itself you can do so much with a Monster!

Line all the bikes up on here.. all pretty different to each other .. all stamped with our own marks and some radically.

Line your mates 999 along with another say 10 red ones and at a glance you would scratch your head for a moment or two trying to work out which one is his!

Where as on here you could say well thats ...such and such's S4 ..and so on.
Monsters more then often get their owners mark on them and moddied..

A faired sports Ducati will more often be left alone as brought for its ready to go look and performance.

I still prefer the old Monster for styling.

The fact that Ducati have given the option now for the new bikes coloured panels shows even they can see that Monster owners like to play..change the bike around and adapt it to suit them.

Pomp1
03-03-2010, 11:26 PM
The new one has been tweaked by another designer. The old one was OK but the new one is stunning.

C'mon, still 99% Tamburini's design, is not like if is a completely new bike..

JMo
04-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Pomp is right - the F4 is clearly what the 998 would have become if he'd stayed at Ducati...

I'm sure the only 'tweak' to his design was an engineer saying "Lovely, but can you make the frame just a bit wider so we can get this engine in there..."

J xx

Dave G
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM
I like the first monsters, I loved the SR series and bought one instantly I saw them.
I'm more reserved about the new ones,its not that I dislike the style but I'm missing that initial impulse that makes me really want one.

Thirdway
04-03-2010, 10:28 AM
C'mon, still 99% Tamburini's design, is not like if is a completely new bike..

Err, I wasn't suggesting otherwise, just adding to the info really because the new designer has definitely made some modest but important improvements IMO.

jerry
04-03-2010, 01:51 PM
If i was buying a new bike I see nothing in the present ducati range that i like the look of...so would be looking at triumph, HD,Motoguzzi.......

CK & AK
04-03-2010, 02:00 PM
A faired sports Ducati will more often be left alone as brought for its ready to go look and performance.

err :confused: you ought to go to a meet where there is a number of sportsbikes Hellcat - their owners are JUST the same as Monster owners (some have both too!) and these also get blinged up, modded and the like too.
They are more likely to have internal engine mods than Monsters, but just as many go for the after market parts, it just needs an eye to notice them - just like it takes one to have an 'eye' to spot the differences in the Monsters too :)

CK

rossifumi
04-03-2010, 02:36 PM
The orginal Monster is a never to be repeated classic ala 916 and will never hit the senses with the same impact.

The designer...a certain Mr Miguel Angel Galluzzi (born Buenos Aires 1959) styled the Original Monster and i like his work so much,i'm about to buy a Aprilia Dorsoduro to replace my Hornet so you could say i'm a fan :heart:

He is now a Aprilia employee and working in the design centre.

Anyone else own a Mk1 Monster and Dorsoduro out of interest???

retskcid
04-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Have to agree with Jerry here - won't be selling my S4 for any of the newer models.

Evolution is a wonderful things but I do feel that whilst the technology has improved the mechanics the design/visual part has regressed. But again taste is a personal thing.

I choose my S4 for the grin factor and my Kwaka if I'm leading 60+ bikers on a run as I'm not as "involved" in the rider to bike relationship on the kwaka as I am on the S4 and leaves me free to concentrate on other things. This "not as involving to ride" aspect is something newer model Monster owners have also told me to be the case - but I'm sure there are others who'll disagree and to be fair sometimes it's very "tiring" to ride the S4 on long distances whereas the Kwaka is a "no brainer".

Ride several and chose the one you like - that way you'll be happy no matter what us lot say.

Couldn't agree more. My S4 is a handful and I wouldn't want to commute on it every day, that is taken care of by a Transalp, but when I do use it (the Transalp is off the road at the mo waiting for a rear shock) its a blast, and never fails to give me a grin. Relaxing it is not!

My first choice was an M750, and looks/simplicity wise still is over the S4 - which is ugly with all the plumbing. I prefer the simplicity and classic looks of the early bikes.

jmho though!

Pomp1
04-03-2010, 10:37 PM
The orginal Monster is a never to be repeated classic ala 916 and will never hit the senses with the same impact.

The designer...a certain Mr Miguel Angel Galluzzi (born Buenos Aires 1959) styled the Original Monster and i like his work so much,i'm about to buy a Aprilia Dorsoduro to replace my Hornet so you could say i'm a fan :heart:

He is now a Aprilia employee and working in the design centre.

Anyone else own a Mk1 Monster and Dorsoduro out of interest???

No but I have a Husqvarna SMR, another work of Galluzzi..

Pomp1
04-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Err, I wasn't suggesting otherwise, just adding to the info really because the new designer has definitely made some modest but important improvements IMO.
More to the point, I would have loved to see what Tamburini would have done, seen that they've only rounded off a 10 years old design IMO, without any major changes( regardless of the PR blurb). Oh, and waiting to see what the 675 and new Brutale will look like.

gary tompkins
05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Looks like LeMarsu has stirred up a bit of a hornets nest? I could be very naughty and chuck the watercooled vs aircooled factor into the mix... but I won't ;) Nice to see this many people care so much about the bikes they ride. History tells us the monster wasn't really designed to be 'beautiful' in the first place. Miguel Angel Galluzzi may have created a classic design icon in the original M900, but it was basically a parts bin special. It might have been a bit freaky to look at (hence the monster tag), but it sold like hot cakes and saved Ducati from financial ruin.

If I had to pick my top monster it'll be from around Y2K, and 750-900 capacity. Preferably an injected engine, decent (for Ducati) electrics and IMO would have best blend of styling and all round practicality. I also have a soft spot for the S2R in both 800 & 1000cc versions :cool:

BluprintZ
05-03-2010, 10:10 PM
I think i was spoilt when i bought my`98 M900.
It always seems that the next generation isn't always better than the original.
The Z1000 for instance, i never liked the Z1000 mk11, the tank was coffin shaped so the smooth styling of the original was lost.
Same with the GS750/1000's, they then morphed into the GSX's, which i never really fancied owning.
Everyone is different in their style preferences, it's all a matter of taste innit?

G ; )

He11cat
05-03-2010, 11:45 PM
:thumbsup:arghhh the real GS ... Suzuki !!!
I fell in love with a GS550E back in the early 90's:heart:...still want one.. fond memories of that bike and a fun summer..

Not them bleedin BMW fugleys!!... :Furious: