PDA

View Full Version : How do I 'test' my wireless router?

bigredduke
10-01-2010, 01:22 PM
My wireless router will not connect to the internet. After I connect the power, all the lights come on including the one which shows it has connected to the telephone line. The one that shows internet connection which usually comes on a few seconds after the telephone line connects is not functioning. I replaced the router with my original adsl speedtouch modem & I can connect.

Is there a definitive test which will show if the router is buggered & needs replacing? Being a Yorkshireman, I don't want to get another if my present one can be 'fixed'!
It is a Belkin adsl modem with wireless G router if that helps.
Thanks

Stafford
10-01-2010, 01:28 PM
The obvious answer is try another router, which you've done and answered your own question Paul. Mine did the same last year with the same symptoms. I did get the provider to check their end, but in the end I got a spare from work and hey presto.

LVC
10-01-2010, 01:36 PM
In the admin panel on the router (access via your browser ip address http://192.168.1.1/ - username and password are often "admin" but check your book to make sure) you can test the ADSL line connection - it will tell you if the Router has an issue or not.

Nickj
10-01-2010, 07:16 PM
So as above go into the router control panel. If you can't get in to it with a password problem there will be a re-set on the back probably like the emergenct eject holes on CD drives.
So first you aren't getting a wireless signal? I assume that the PC (a) has got wireless, and (b) it is switched on !!
Check in control panel devices to see the driver is loaded for the wireless and the device is enabled. It might be worth updating anyway. When you've done that does anything happen?
In the router controls make sure the wireless is on and the channel set matches the PC setting.

The Belin default address for wireless routers is frequently 192.168.2.1 but can be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2

Oh and remove any really thick walls between you and the router!! Having said that mines working OK a floor below me and the other side of a 2 foot thick stone wall.

bigredduke
10-01-2010, 07:20 PM
It's not that I can't pick up a signal from the router, the router itself won't connect to the internet in the first place.

LVC
10-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Run the router diagnostic tests (admin panel) - it'll tell you if it can find the adsl line or not.

Check also your ADSL username and password are correct within settings on the Belkin and very the ports and connection type are correct also - they got jumbled on my Belkin once and had to reset everything then it was fine. If they're wrong then it'll give the same unconnectivity as if it can't find the ADSL line.

Nickj
11-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Once you get into the web page for the router you want to go to the page for configuration, it will probably open in this anyway.
You can have multiple connections set up on most so first select index 1.
Give the connection a name
Now set the VPI and VCC (details from your ISP but 0, 38are common for PPPoA LLC)
Now set the ENCAPSULATION protocol, over copper it's probably going to be PPPoA LLC
All you ought to need to do now is to set your user name, often your isp assigned mail address and your password.
If you have a fixed IP then add this and select FIXED IP, you've probably got a dynamic address though.
Save this
If it's going to work it should now.

After this you can set up secure(ish) wireless access, NAT's, DMZ, port forwarding and any other odds and ends you need.

Stafford
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
I reckon it's just fecked.

bigredduke
13-01-2010, 08:47 AM
I reckon it's just fecked.

Todays prize for being a clever sod goes to..............Stafford. Yes it was terminally sick.
On the advice of the teccies at work I got a netgear router and although it wasn't quite as simple to install as they had me believe I managed to get it up and running eventually. Thanks for all your help guys.
Anyone want to buy a used Belkin router? Don't all rush at once.