PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

DaveM
04-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Thought I best come and introduce myself

My name (as if you had not guessed) is Dave and I live in the Isle of Man. I am originally from Edinburgh and moved here 6 years ago, I have not looked back since I love it here, kinda has that feeling I was always meant to be here. Not to mention we have some awesome roads here.

I have just put down a deposit on a red 2004 M620IE with just 979 miles on it and I cant wait to pick it up.
This will be my first Ducati, I have mainly riden off road bikes and motards in the past but now the call of the mountain circuit is just too much.

Has anyone any suggestions on replacement cans for my Monster when I get it?

I have had a quick browse here on the forum and Termignoni keeps coming up but I cant find anywhere online that lists them for my bike to get an idea of cost. Have they now stopped production or something?

I am not looking for powergains I just want to make the bike sound a whole lot better and take full advantage of that lovely V Twin song. I would also prefer it if the cans were shorter than the OE ones

What exhaust do you guys have?

Anyway nice to meet you all and I am sure you will be reading a whole load more daft questions from me in the future.

:thumbsup:

DavidEJM
04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Welcome Dave (hey we could start our own group!)

Good luck with the bike. I've got Termis on mine and they sound great. There are other options and I'm sure others will be along soon to give their opinions, but most seem to go with the Termis. They're not cheap though.

Maybe see you one year at the TT, I've been tempted to come over for years now and never get round ot it.

David

Albie
04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
hi and welcome. hope to visit iom next year with a few other ukmoc. you just missed out on a set of hilevel leo vinces someone sold for a mere £150. bargain. lots to choose from but whatever floats your boat carbon or aluminium or titanium. keep an eye on ebay too.

i run termis in carbon

steeevvvooo
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Welcome Dave!

I had Termis (stainless steel) on my M600 and they really turned heads!! :D They’re not cheap new, but I picked up mine for about £150 on ebay, so if you can wait, you can get a set for reasonable money. Believe be, they were worth every penny!! Had the old “not for road use” stamped on them, but as it was right on the inside of the can my MOT tester “didn’t see it”. :thumbsup:

Stainless steel are cheapest, followed by carbon and Titanium (I think). If you want them in the same position as your regular cans they slip straight on (even a mechanical novice like me can undo a couple of bolts). I personally like the look of the high level ones, which I think you just need a different link pipe for (but I may be wrong :scratch:).

DaveM
04-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey folks, thanks for the welcome and replies

I would really like high level cans in carbon. Is there a kit available that would allow cans to be moved to the high level position at a later date if I could only get replacement low level cans to begin with?

I had a browse over ebay and I could not find any exhausts to suit my bike on there, do they come up often or is it quite rare?

Do any of you have links to places to buy new? just so I can have a look

If you guys see any second hand ones for sale anywhere I would appreciate it if you could give me a shout.

Are there any other recommended upgrades or mods I should be looking at?

Does anyone make a tail tidy for the 620ie?

Oh and I nearly forgot, I don't have to worry about an unfriendly MOT tester as we have no MOTs here on the Isle of Man :woot:

Albie
04-08-2009, 07:40 PM
hi dave. the answer is a straight NO. either low or high mounts not interchangable.

pegboy
04-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Dave and welcome

I have just brought 2nd hand termis, they sound great to me, especially in tunnels as the noise bounces off the walls, yeah.

kneedown
04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
hi dave and welcome
been to the iom many times i think 15 to date last was 2002 but will get back .
loved to watch joey there he was a master .
anyway good luck and catch you there one day :booze:

steeevvvooo
04-08-2009, 09:11 PM
I had a browse over ebay and I could not find any exhausts to suit my bike on there, do they come up often or is it quite rare?

Mine were advertised as for an M750, but were interchangeable with my M600 cans. Not exactly sure if the same goes for your's, but someone will know. Either way, can't see ANY monster Termis on fleabay :scratch:

Oh and I nearly forgot, I don't have to worry about an unfriendly MOT tester as we have no MOTs here on the Isle of Man :woot:

Nice! I never knew that :confused: :dunce: You learn something everyday...

Pomp1
04-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi and welcome. Termignoni goes hand in hand with Ducati, a bit down to the brand complementing each other but mainly because they look, sound and perform so well. Good luck with the hunt, IMO go for hi-level (but I'm biased) don't expect them to be cheap thought

DaveM
05-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the welcome messages and advice

Looks like Termis is the way to go then

I found these on ebay what are your opinions

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ducati-monster-exhaust_W0QQitemZ150362383224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item23024be378&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I could not find a listing for my monster on the Akrapovic website only newer monsters, have they ceased production of these cans?

Panther
05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
You could try some Mivv's they are shorter than Termignoni Exhausts

http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2127

here are mine, on a 620:scratch: Unfortunately they are on reserve to be sold

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9v5WXNjIDSo/Sms6G4Np5FI/AAAAAAAACOI/t1Sh3aB6cYY/s400/Mivv%27s.jpg

Or you can look at getting some Sill Motor

e.g
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330342594909&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

-Cut the lid or a big hole in your airbox you get the lovely sucking raw! there are loads of how to's on here. But you might need your air/fuel remaped if you do this mod with racing exhausts

-14 tooth front sprocket for better acceleration and soother at lower speed. If your 620 is 5 speed however this mod could be annoying because of high rev's when riding at 'motorway' speeds.

-tail chop rather than a tidy tail ~ IMO

Good luck

Panther

Albie
05-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome messages and advice

Looks like Termis is the way to go then

I found these on ebay what are your opinions

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ducati-monster-exhaust_W0QQitemZ150362383224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item23024be378&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I could not find a listing for my monster on the Akrapovic website only newer monsters, have they ceased production of these cans?

lovely exhausts. i would get them if they fit.

DaveM
05-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys

I am sure the Akrapovic titanium cans would look and sound awesome but not so sure my bank manager would like me so much if I was to buy these the day after buying the bike but I spose I could always :hissy: :D

Had a call from the dealers and it will be ready for me early next week :woot:

Hoolie
05-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Welcome Dave. I'm soooo envious of you living in the IOM. My sis and brother-in-law live there - we've just been over for the Southern 100 and had a great few days riding the whole island. Didn't take my monster - we flew over and used my brother-in-laws bikes as he has 21 of them so has a few to spare!

I'd like to take it next time though as I can just imagine riding it there. Enjoy the bike and the forum. There's some great info on here and I really should post more often!!!

DaveM
05-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Cheers mate

Where does your sis live?
21 bikes? forget a garage he would need a warehouse for all of them LOL

I am on the main road in Crosby, I have lived in this house for 5 years but have not yet got to sit in my front garden with a beer and watch the TT or Manx come past. The big boys at TT come past here at 170+mph :hail:

Next time your over give me a shout, we can go for a lap or two and go to Peel for an ice cream :D

Hoolie
05-08-2009, 08:48 PM
They're up near Andreas - but always looking at houses as he wants more garage room even though he already has two - my sis has filled the conservatory with as much furniture as she can to stop his habit of putting bikes in there too :chuckle:

Yum - the famous Peel ice cream :thumbsup:

vtaggart
09-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Hi Dave

Met you in the shop on Friday, back home safe and sound, good luck picking the bike up on Tuesday.

Lovely island you live in, I was in Crosby on Wednesday night in the Pub with the Norton at the frt door, now cool is that? They sell a good pint too:biggrin:.

I got a tail tidy from these guys http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TAIL-TIDY-stage-2-DUCATI-MONSTER-2000-2007_W0QQitemZ110392212802QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mo torcycle_Parts?hash=item19b3e37d42&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14 fitted well as shown below.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b312/vtaggart/IMG_6507.jpg

Already planning a return visit with the bike this time to do a lap or two of the circuit but it is likely to be next year now, will let you know if I do.

Cheers Vince.

DaveM
10-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi Vince
Was good to meet you mate, shame we could not have chatted longer.
Glad you got home safe, what was the boat like? Bumpy?
Cant wait to collect my bike tomorrow afternoon, I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve today

The Crosby is a nice pub. Did you have a pint of Okells?
They have done a great job displaying the old Norton, it has been in there for years, it used to be between the 2 bars but when they did the place up they had it all cleaned and moved it to by the door.

Nice bike you have there. I have seen those tail tidys on ebay they look alright, whats the quality like?
I am undecided whether to go doen the tail tidy route or the tail chop route like Panther said earlier in this thread.

Do it mate, get the bike over here for a few laps you wont regret it. Have you riden the circuit before?

vtaggart
10-08-2009, 05:22 PM
Alright Dave

Yes quality is good for the tail tidy but it is quite expensive for what you get. Tail chop looks good but at the mo don't have the balls to cut the frame:eyepopping:

I have never ridden the circuit before and after my visit really want to, although the first time I went over the mountain in the car I could hardy see 100 yards ahead of me.

Don't forget to get photos posted up of your bike, as they say over here "health to ride" or good luck.

Cheers Vince

uksurfer
10-08-2009, 05:28 PM
hi dave and welcome, cut the whole tail of mate, looks great but not that good if you ride in the rain, i found that out on my 600,
i had remus ducati performance on mine, looked great and sounded good, if you buy straight slip on cans, you can have them low at first, you will need link pipes, or you can have them higher with the high level links, i think the low links for mine were ?60, or the high ones were about ?90, try 'The Carbon Can Company', very helpful, and they also shorten pipes when you buy them for about ?20 i think.
But i could be wrong, i guess the system is similar to the 600? I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong
hope that helps
________
Free amature tube (http://www.****tube.com/)

DaveM
10-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey Vince. Will get pics up tomorrow evening mate ;)

Hi surfer, thanks for the welcome dude.
Thinking I may start off with a tail tidy then do a tail chop at a later date.
I was looking on www.protwins.co.uk at the DP cans but they have no prices on there :thumbsdown:
Going to pay a visit to Jason Griffiths Motorcycles (the islands Ducati dealer) and see what price he can sort me out with for some DP high level cans.
Will check out 'The Carbon Can Company' tonight and see what they offer too.

ROLL ON TOMORROW AFTERNOON :woot:

BluprintZ
10-08-2009, 05:54 PM
...cut the whole tail of mate, looks great but not that good if you ride in the rain, i found that out on my 600...

Hello Dave, welcome to the club mate.
Chop the tail off, it looks much more cool than with all that sh1te on it.
I've sorted the rain problem out with mine.
I bought some 2mm clear perspex sheeting and cut it so it fits behind the number-plate but with an extra four inches below the plate, sorted, no more cow-crap on me seat, or back.
I'll maybe post some pics when i get the chance to take some.

G : ) :thumbsup:

DaveM
10-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Cheers G

Not a bad idea with the perspex. Would like to see if you can get some pics up