PDA

View Full Version : Slipping Clutch

pooh
24-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi folks

Slight problem with the bosses M620ie which I am using at the moment, the clutch has started to slip even in first and second if you give it some welly. Also the temp is running at 120. I have checked the slave cylinder and lever and they seem OK.

Any ideas anybody or do I need to take it to bits?

:spin:

wooley_t
24-08-2008, 09:02 PM
What oil you running???. Is that temp on a cool day???. How many miles done on the clutch??, Hows the bike been riden, feathering the clutch???. If you have correct oil and not a warm day, be worth checking plates for wear......check clutch plate pack dims.....could be ready for a new clutch....

slob
24-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey Ian, myself and a couple of others, defineitely JMo, had this with '02 620s at relatively low milages. I changed the plates (even though they looked OK) and switched from Shell to RockOil... no further problems in 27K miles. Others have suggested Semi-Synth oil would be better.
I'm guessing it may have been a didgy batch of plates, what year is is the 620ie?

Nickj
24-08-2008, 09:19 PM
What oil was exactly what I was going to ask. My 750's at 21K still on the original clutch but only does a little bit of traffic.
My usual 26 miles to work gets the motor up to about 90 C on a this summers 'normal' temperature day.

wooley_t
24-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I changed to rock semi synthetic oil before i changed my clutch to try and salvage it but unfortunately the clutch had gone.......Fitted new clutch, new oil again and it bites like a bitch!!!

I had a lengthy discussion with a local monster racer and he told me straight away to get the Shell out on the wet clutch dukes......

Will.

pooh
25-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Oil is semi synthetic Silkolene and the bike has done about 7500 miles mostly with me thrashing the nuts of it so probably the plates then. Temp at a steady 80-85 on a cool day.

POOH

gary tompkins
25-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi Pooh,

Nice to see you posting again - how's the project monster going?

Hope you get the clutch sorted

dlloyduk
25-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Hey Ian, myself and a couple of others, defineitely JMo, had this with '02 620s at relatively low milages. I changed the plates (even though they looked OK) and switched from Shell to RockOil... no further problems in 27K miles. Others have suggested Semi-Synth oil would be better.
I'm guessing it may have been a didgy batch of plates, what year is is the 620ie?

Same here. Plates where fine but would slip but only sometimes.

JMo
25-08-2008, 07:57 PM
You can also put an extra plate in (9 instead of 8 I think) which is what Protwins did to mine... no problems since they swapped the plates and changed the oil...

xxx

wooley_t
25-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Do you still get the clutch pack in with the extra plate and the spacer???. Do you run that with standard springs too??.It must bite like a bigger bitch than mine..........you made any mods with the lines/cylinders??.

I was thinking of just running a standard clutch but uprating the springs say + 20-25%.

Kato springs in Nottingham can make any spring to whatever poundage you want.......for the price of a a couple of pints....Surely its gotto be worth giving up 2 pints for that extra bit of bite at the lights..................

http://www.kato-entex.co.uk/

They have a trade counter and shop floor engineers available when you turn up... have a look, see what you think........

Will.

wooley_t
25-08-2008, 10:53 PM
.........just to add, ........they are world market leaders in Heli-coil design and manufacturing...plus i know a few of the engineers/designers there too......

JMo
26-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Do you still get the clutch pack in with the extra plate and the spacer???. Do you run that with standard springs too??.It must bite like a bigger bitch than mine..........you made any mods with the lines/cylinders??

Well, that's what they told me they'd done - don't think they had to do anything else, just an extra plate he said...

Sorry I can't be more help...

xxx