UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Slipping Clutch

Old 24-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Bike: M900ie
Slipping Clutch

Hi folks

Slight problem with the bosses M620ie which I am using at the moment, the clutch has started to slip even in first and second if you give it some welly. Also the temp is running at 120. I have checked the slave cylinder and lever and they seem OK.

Any ideas anybody or do I need to take it to bits?

Old 24-08-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
wooley_t

What oil you running???. Is that temp on a cool day???. How many miles done on the clutch??, Hows the bike been riden, feathering the clutch???. If you have correct oil and not a warm day, be worth checking plates for wear......check clutch plate pack dims.....could be ready for a new clutch....
Old 24-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hey Ian, myself and a couple of others, defineitely JMo, had this with '02 620s at relatively low milages. I changed the plates (even though they looked OK) and switched from Shell to RockOil... no further problems in 27K miles. Others have suggested Semi-Synth oil would be better.
I'm guessing it may have been a didgy batch of plates, what year is is the 620ie?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
dlloyduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Hey Ian, myself and a couple of others, defineitely JMo, had this with '02 620s at relatively low milages. I changed the plates (even though they looked OK) and switched from Shell to RockOil... no further problems in 27K miles. Others have suggested Semi-Synth oil would be better.
I'm guessing it may have been a didgy batch of plates, what year is is the 620ie?

Same here. Plates where fine but would slip but only sometimes.
Old 25-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #5
JMo

You can also put an extra plate in (9 instead of 8 I think) which is what Protwins did to mine... no problems since they swapped the plates and changed the oil...

xxx
Old 24-08-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
What oil was exactly what I was going to ask. My 750's at 21K still on the original clutch but only does a little bit of traffic.
My usual 26 miles to work gets the motor up to about 90 C on a this summers 'normal' temperature day.
Old 24-08-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
wooley_t

I changed to rock semi synthetic oil before i changed my clutch to try and salvage it but unfortunately the clutch had gone.......Fitted new clutch, new oil again and it bites like a bitch!!!

I had a lengthy discussion with a local monster racer and he told me straight away to get the Shell out on the wet clutch dukes......

Will.
Old 25-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
pooh
Lincolnshire Area Rep

Oil is semi synthetic Silkolene and the bike has done about 7500 miles mostly with me thrashing the nuts of it so probably the plates then. Temp at a steady 80-85 on a cool day.

POOH
Old 25-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #9
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Hi Pooh,

Nice to see you posting again - how's the project monster going?

Hope you get the clutch sorted
Old 25-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
wooley_t

Do you still get the clutch pack in with the extra plate and the spacer???. Do you run that with standard springs too??.It must bite like a bigger bitch than mine..........you made any mods with the lines/cylinders??.

I was thinking of just running a standard clutch but uprating the springs say + 20-25%.

Kato springs in Nottingham can make any spring to whatever poundage you want.......for the price of a a couple of pints....Surely its gotto be worth giving up 2 pints for that extra bit of bite at the lights..................

http://www.kato-entex.co.uk/

They have a trade counter and shop floor engineers available when you turn up... have a look, see what you think........

Will.
Old 26-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooley_t View Post
Do you still get the clutch pack in with the extra plate and the spacer???. Do you run that with standard springs too??.It must bite like a bigger bitch than mine..........you made any mods with the lines/cylinders??
Well, that's what they told me they'd done - don't think they had to do anything else, just an extra plate he said...

Sorry I can't be more help...

xxx
Old 25-08-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
wooley_t

.........just to add, ........they are world market leaders in Heli-coil design and manufacturing...plus i know a few of the engineers/designers there too......