PDA

View Full Version : 696, Motard, M900 - oh what to do!

Thumper
07-11-2007, 06:43 PM
This is my problem. Theyre not producing anything bigger than the 696. Rumour was that the Motard engine was going in one making an M1100, that I wouldve sold my soul for, but being a 600 I dont know what to do now. Ducati, ffs, you've confused me!! :scratch:

I had 5 bikes on next years "to buy" list:

BMW F800GS (ugh, off the list faster than it can say "longwaydown")
The invisible M1100 (off the list for obvious reasons)
Another TL1000S (cant find low mileage good ones anymore)
Hypermotard
M900

My problem now is that I am interested so far in this 696, it has much more power and speed than Pinky but none of the expensive accessories I bought Pinky would fit the new 696 and I'd be buying a new bike (around the £5k-£6k mark I suspect) and I'd then want to spend about another £1k on accessories and modifications. That would make it roughly a £7k bike. Its habitual, I cant leave anything standard for more than 5 minutes.

My issue with the Hypermotard is the lack of wind protection and useability as an all rounder. The price is also a bit much, maybe some bargains now the new Monstro is out... maybe. But the more important issue is its not a Monster and I LOVE Monsters.

Then theres the M900. I am finding it difficult to find a low mileage one with full service history in good condition for a decent price. I dont like the dry heavy clutch but... Pinkys tasty bits would fit onto an M900. Theres also the fact that up until now I was really lucky with Pinky, he was reliable and really good, it was lucky getting a cheap Monster that with some love and care proved to be a reliable trusty bike. I'm a bit concerned that I'll buy a 900 and it'll break and end up costing me as much as a 696.

So seeing as I cant make my mind up someone else can do it.

All advice and opinions welcome :D

David Matthews
07-11-2007, 07:16 PM
If you look at previous posts, owners are very enthusiastic about the 695, a lot more power than a 600 or 620. The black tank/red frame version looks stunning, more sleek than the 696 and I would imagine dealers will heavily discount them. Worth taking one for a test ride?

Scotty
07-11-2007, 07:49 PM
i didn't think they did any of the above in pink ~:?

JerryXt
07-11-2007, 08:18 PM
get an m1000 and a bigger slave cylinder - you know it makes sense :D

scrumpster
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I got a hypermotard again for a night and day whilst my new cans are fitted and love it although I hated look of it. Handles great :D Would want one as well as my monster though :look:

barbican
07-11-2007, 08:39 PM
If you look at previous posts, owners are very enthusiastic about the 695, a lot more power than a 600 or 620. The black tank/red frame version looks stunning, more sleek than the 696 and I would imagine dealers will heavily discount them. Worth taking one for a test ride?

and I guess there will be some cheap s2r800 if there are any left in dealers

MCN say 696 is the only model for 2008, but then they often sell the new year from September so maybe an 1100 from September 08, why not test a 696 and if its fantastic but you want more power etc wait till Sept, you can allways spray some tank panels pink while you wait

Thumper
07-11-2007, 08:49 PM
LOL leave the pink out of it.... no actually dont :D

I'll be off to Ducati Aylesbury or Coventry quicker than you can say Monster when the 696 is out for a test ride as I like it. Good point about an 1100 maybe coming out by September.

Dunno much about the M1000 except they seem darn expensive at Ducati Aylesbury the few they had in there on Monday.

I dont want an S2R, S4R, S4RS as I want something air cooled. Me no likey radiators and oil coolers and thoe big ugly cat boxes.

Anyone else know what others Monsters I can fit Pinkys trick bits too like the M900, M1000 etc and what bits will fit? I think that might be the sensible option for the new year then wait till September and see if the M1100 I so badly want appears.

I dont really want a 695 as I want a fair bit more power than a 600. I have ridden one and although I liked it I just wanted some more guts. But because the 696 is sexy as hell I might be able to live with it :spin:

And yes, whatever I get will be PINK :thumbsup:

scrumpster
07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
The S2R 800 is aircooled :yoparty:

Zimbo
07-11-2007, 09:21 PM
What trick bits do you want to transfer to the new bike? If we know we can give you some advice!

Thumper
08-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Oh yeah sorry bout that, it would be helpful wouldnt it :chuckle:

Megaphone pipes, carbon screen cowling, chrome valve and cam end covers, my mirror polished footrest hangers, carbon tank bra and the Ducati Performance comfort seat I am planning on buying.

Oh and I dont want an M750. Either M900 or M1000.... orrrr the S4, not the S4R, the S4, maybe parts are interchangeable with that one too!

I like the S2R 1000 and almost bought one from Duc Aylesbury, but its got an oil cooler stuck on the front :banghead: :cry:

Zimbo
08-11-2007, 07:31 AM
I'm afraid they've all got oil coolers stuck on the front, M900, M1000, S4 all have it as standard. The S4 has a huge radiator as well.
Your footrest hangers and cans should fit all monsters, the cowl may be specific to the older monsters which rules out all but the M900, the seat as well.

singletrack
08-11-2007, 09:04 AM
Oh yeah sorry bout that, it would be helpful wouldnt it :chuckle:

Megaphone pipes, carbon screen cowling, chrome valve and cam end covers, my mirror polished footrest hangers, carbon tank bra and the Ducati Performance comfort seat I am planning on buying.

Oh and I dont want an M750. Either M900 or M1000.... orrrr the S4, not the S4R, the S4, maybe parts are interchangeable with that one too!

I like the S2R 1000 and almost bought one from Duc Aylesbury, but its got an oil cooler stuck on the front :banghead: :cry:

The oil cooler on a S2R is hardly huge! It's the same size as on an M900 :confused:
The lovely single side swing arm more than makes up for it any ugliness in the oil cooler dept.

JerryXt
08-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Your footrest hangers ... should fit all monsters

...not the S4R.

Speaking of which, Natty has his for sale - that's in great condition and on the budget you've got you could pimp/pink it up nicely! Best not tell him you'd be spraying it pink tho...

benson
08-11-2007, 10:06 AM
My M900 clutch i manageable enough on all but the most nasty commutes - the slave cylinder makes a big difference, probably offset by the stainless springs though - and well, a good strong left wrist is always useful!!!:on:

So - the 900 would be my weapon of choice. 've had mine 6 years and although we've been through a few scrapes I wouldn't swap it for anything - and yes, I have a Hyper too - no comparison - both wonderful but both quite quite different...Hell - get what you want, sell your soul and why die in credit - it's been my motto for years!

Whatever you get you'll want to tart it up in no time and make it your won - so go for it my lovely and happy hunting and riding!!!

desmo
08-11-2007, 02:18 PM
I am in the same boat.
I was expecting Ducati to launch 3 versions of the new Monster 695 - 800 - 1100.
I was going to get the Mrs Desmo the 696 to replace her 620
I was going to have the 1100DS to replace my S2R 800 or maybe if funds allowed, i might have kept my S2R 800 as well.

Now Ducati have stuck a huge oar in my plans, i am in 2 minds what to do now? either trade in my S2R 800 for a S2R 1000 or wait a while to see if Ducati launch an 1100DS version of the new Monster as i suspect they will at some stage, it's just a question of when.

Desmo

Thumper
08-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Well thanks everyone for great advice but today I am pretty sure I have found my new baby :biggrin:

Its a surprise as well considering the following:

1 - The colours vile, even the wheels make me wanna puke
2 - Its got a HOOGE great ugly thing bolted to the front of the engine
3 - Its covered, and I mean COVERED in mingin carbon fibre
4 - It has the worlds most uncomfortable corbin seat on it
5 - I'm gonna have a left arm like Arnold Schwazz-thingy coz the clutch needs Goliath to operate it

But... its immaculate, low mileage, full service history, 3 months warranty, good price and the dealers even gonna let me try some of Pinkys bits on it to see if they'll fit!

As long as the weather is dry Saturday I'll be test riding and then part exing Pinky.

Benson - thanks your wise words really swung it for me. For gods sake I'm 27 with my own house, if it gets that bad theres nothing wrong with renting and using my house deposit money for Termis is there?! :biggrin:

WooHoo fingers crossed for Saturday :devil:

David Matthews
08-11-2007, 09:23 PM
You 'forgot' to say what it is.

Thumper
08-11-2007, 09:29 PM
hehe its a secret :mand:

Dont worry only another day and half to wait for the "result"!

Zimbo
08-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Got to be an S4.

neilbaldry
09-11-2007, 01:14 AM
its not air cooled cooled, its gotta be hi-spec to have lots of carbon fibre.

not a pearlescent white S4Rs?

JerryXt
09-11-2007, 06:45 AM
welcome to the DARK side :D

Thumper
09-11-2007, 07:28 AM
OK OK I admit defeat, I'll tell you anyway coz I wanna ask a question about it.

Here it is, I've affectionately named it Daffodil already :mand:

http://www.davewoodracing.com/Uploads/2007-8-31_163159_Dscn2346_rs.jpg

DUCATI Monster S4
Capacity 916
Colour Yellow
Year 2001
Price £ 3599
Mileage 8072 miles

Description : A true Italian Stallion sporting the legendary 916 Ducati engine. This bike comes with some very nice Remus cans and a Corbin seat not to mention all the carbon bits

Its from Dave Wood Racing and its all thanks to Stormie for pointing it out to me and Christine taking me there to seeing it yesterday!

Now then, the problem I have is...

I was looking through all the paperwork and in there was a customer comment on a Ducati dealership service sheet saying that there might be a clutch problem as sometimes the owner finds it difficult to select gear. There was also a clutch recall done after that comment was made.

The young lad in there with the TL1000S, forgot his name now said about fitting the oversized master cylinder and it making the clutch a tad lighter which is cool. I'm just a bit worried there might be an underlying clutch/gearbox issue with the bike.

So guys and girls, whaddya reckon?

Zimbo
09-11-2007, 09:44 AM
eeeuuuggh plumbing yuk

:)

giler
09-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Very tidy looking Thumper. Got my 900 from Dave Wood, couldn't meet a more helpful guy and he did me a good deal as well.
Good luck with it.

Will
09-11-2007, 12:42 PM

So guys and girls, whaddya reckon?

Really, basic S4's ain't pretty are they now? What do you want a bike to do for you? Posing? Sunday riding?, Touring?, Commuting? Track days?

There are so many great bikes around for each of those tasks, some like the 1200GS that do it all :D :D - hmmmm not sure where an S4 sits in the motorcycling world - bit sort of beige really.

Will
09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
S2R1000 and the Sport Classics are the best looking Ducati's at the moment.

JerryXt
09-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Will, you're back on the naughty stair again :chuckle:

The S4 really does everything. Touring, trackdays and hooning. Monster riding position, storming engine and excellent value.

Good job Ms T. Daffy looks lovely! You might even get to like yellow :D

JerryXt
09-11-2007, 01:36 PM
BTW, sorting the clutch isn't terminally expensive if it goes wrong. I would hope that the dealer would rectify it if you found a problem. From the sound of it, it's a decent place.

Do a search for clutch slave cylinder. That should pull up some posts about the aftermarket thing and there's a view that you can pack the standard cylinder with washers to get the same effect.

neilbaldry
09-11-2007, 02:40 PM
S2R1000 and the Sport Classics are the best looking Ducati's at the moment.

i have to agree tho the S2R 800 is just as tidy!

Pedro
09-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I'll have an evoluzion clutch slave cylinder for sale shortly, makes the clutch 30% lighter

Thumper
09-11-2007, 04:07 PM
LOL, mixed views there.

I really dont like the plumbing but at the end of the day I need an all rounder as I ride every single day all year round. I cant afford the S2R or the S4R and theres more on them I dont like than the S4 :look: (hides from Jerry)

Just phoned Nick at DWR and hes arranged to have the bike checked over prior to my test ride tomorrow. I like DWR I rate them highly and have no doubt I am buying a quality bike from them and if something went wrong they'de look after it.

The S4 has everything I want in a Monster, good quality powerful engine with proven ability, adjustable suspension front and rear, quality brakes and proven reliability. All that makes a good package for me as my Monster will be commuting, hooning at weekends, going drag racing, taking on trackdays, going abroad touring and looking pretty. It does all of those 100% except the last where it drops a few points for mainly being yellow with a radiator, but with a bit of Thumper attention the last one shouldnt be a problem (pink pink pink, its going pink lol) :D

Thanks Pedro, all being good tomorrow I'll be after that slave cylinder of yours!

I'll update ya tomorrow after me ride :yoparty:

barbican
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
It looks great and the yellow and red should go well with the pink accessories will you paint the rad pink?:eyepopping:

Hope you enjoy the test, cos it realy does look in nice condition

Scotty
09-11-2007, 05:06 PM
what your looking at is possibly the best Ducati of all time

an S4 in yellow of 2001 vintage they just don't come better than that to be honest, OK the wheel colour is bad and the lack of a yellow seat cowl is kind of annoying

as regards fitting other bits rear sets will , exhausts might not there's a whole load of other part numbers for the S4 exhausts

cam and rocker covers blatantly wont fit,

and cowl might

the modification you want/need is the full on power up exhaust kit (inc sps cams makes it the monster it should have been)

things to look for

oil around the base of the rear cylinder = its a classic

being an old S4 if your very unlucky there may be a rocker problem later in life but its about the time it was all ironed out apparently

oh in my experience I wouldn't drop teeth on the front sprocket , rather add to the rear

:yoparty:

Thumper
09-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Cool!! Thanks Scotty you seem like just the man for the S4!

I'll check all those things tomorrow, DWR have been kind enough to let me try and fit my megaphones to it to see what bits fit and what dont.

If I get "Daffodil" your Private Message inbox will be suitably attacked :chuckle:

Will
09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Will, you're back on the naughty stair again :chuckle:

The S4 really does everything. Touring, trackdays and hooning. Monster riding position, storming engine and excellent value.

Good job Ms T. Daffy looks lovely! You might even get to like yellow :D

Naughty stair - oh well never mind I can take it.:biggrin:

Hmmmmm - the red and white S4RS is a seriously cool looking bike - the vanilla S4 is exactly that really, plain vanilla - it's begging to be customised to make it special. Not sure if I'd do any serious touring on a Monster, the riding position is a bit cramped for 500 mile days.

Gim
10-11-2007, 10:09 AM
But its.......Yel... no cant even say it ! :chuckle:
And to think for another 500 quid you culd have had the shiniest most gorgeous:cool: looking black s4r.......

Thumper
10-11-2007, 08:56 PM
SOLD! :mand: :mand: :mand:

Oooooooooo I lurrrrrrv it!!!

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/My%20S4.jpg

Clutch wasnt an issue at all. Gearbox is pretty stiff and clunky but the chain was a tad loose and dry. Its fast, oh so fast, loadsa power, naffer than naff fly screen that kept distracting me as I was waiting for it to fly off and hit me in the head. Horrid slippery tyres (MEZ4) so gonna get some new ones on it (suggestions?). The seat is GOING, I nearly slid off the side going round the first roundabout and it slams you into the tank when you brake. But I love it and it wheelies in 2nd gear :mand:

Its getting a service and new belts so I'll be the proud owner Tuesday or Wednesday next week.... oooooo I cant wait!

Whilst I was filling the paperwork in upstairs a fight commenced

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/fight.jpg

As you can see Pinky got SO annoyed he self combusted :chuckle:

http://www.thumperzone.co.uk/images/Ducati/Smokey%20Pinky.jpg

gremlin
10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Ah bless, you won't be selling Pinky though will you? I mean he is our wonderful Fazer eating monster mascot!

Scotty
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
congratulations, roll on summer

Thumper
10-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Yes, sorry, Pinkys gone in part exchange. Already have my CBR400 track bike that I could never sell and 3 bikes is just plain greedy (and my banks gonna kill me) :dizzy:

Pinky is a fantastic bike and I've had 6,000 very happy miles on him and hes certainly left his mark everywhere hes been! He just wasnt 100% as an all rounder and being 1996 hes a bit tired now and needs more money put his way to be the bike I wanted it to be, which I wasnt prepared to do considering how much its cost me so far. I needed a little more oomph for longer journeys, better suspension and his carbs were suffering in the cold.

I am sure he will attract another lady owner that will love him as much as I do. And then they can join here and we'll have our Fazer eating "monster" back! :biggrin:

Never fear though, 'Daffy' is going PINK and you've now got a new shiny UKMOC Fazer eater, Pinkys bigger brother!

JerryXt
10-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Well done MsT. Maybe get the fork oil changed unless it's been done recently.

BTW, Kato put a brembo radial brake master on the Xt for me tonight. MUCH better than the standard bit of cr*p that was on there. You still have to put a lot of effort in, but the bike does stop better.

Thumper
11-11-2007, 09:20 AM
OK cool, thanks Jerry I'll ask DWR if they can do the fork oil for me too.

Last night I managed to rack up £2,750 worth of accessories via the interweb so I altered the parental controls to stop me visiting all the Ducati related websites and eBay. However I need to come on here for obvious reasons so I gotta be careful with the "For Sale" section :chuckle:

Glad you got the XTs brakes sorted, they are a touch wooden so nice to have them sharper! Brakes on the S4 are superb, stops on a dime that thing does!! :thumbsup:

Oh for gods sake, 2 days to go (taps fingers on desk impatiently) :cool:

Oh yeah.... Scotty, the rearsets wont, they look different, the seat doesnt fit and I'm not too sure about the exhausts, will try them on when I get it home. I am gonna pinch the seat cowl off Pinky and see if that fits. My mechanic is going to make up some lovely alloy brackets for the fly screen so I can secure the top to the master cylinder brackets for the clutch and the brake, should stop it flapping around so much.

With regard to power mods, well that will be left for a while, its powerful enough at the minute and I need to get used to it.

I'd also quite like some flat renthal bars as the clipons are quite strange, any ideas on that one?

Cheers all :thumbsup:

Scotty
11-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I could feasibly buy you old clip ons off you if the price was right (i.e. dirt cheap)

ref power mods, you say it wheelies in 2nd , mine doesn't :(

Thumper
11-11-2007, 09:51 PM
LOL, was overtaking traffic in 2nd gear and the front was definately up, ok we are not talking jimmy fireblade proportions because I think a 2 inch wheelie is HUGE. It was off the ground though and I had a face like this for the next 10 minutes :eek:

You can only have my clipons cheaply if you tell me where I can get a flat bar conversion from ;)