UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » 696, Motard, M900 - oh what to do!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #1
Thumper

696, Motard, M900 - oh what to do!

This is my problem. Theyre not producing anything bigger than the 696. Rumour was that the Motard engine was going in one making an M1100, that I wouldve sold my soul for, but being a 600 I dont know what to do now. Ducati, ffs, you've confused me!!

I had 5 bikes on next years "to buy" list:

BMW F800GS (ugh, off the list faster than it can say "longwaydown")
The invisible M1100 (off the list for obvious reasons)
Another TL1000S (cant find low mileage good ones anymore)
Hypermotard
M900

My problem now is that I am interested so far in this 696, it has much more power and speed than Pinky but none of the expensive accessories I bought Pinky would fit the new 696 and I'd be buying a new bike (around the £5k-£6k mark I suspect) and I'd then want to spend about another £1k on accessories and modifications. That would make it roughly a £7k bike. Its habitual, I cant leave anything standard for more than 5 minutes.

My issue with the Hypermotard is the lack of wind protection and useability as an all rounder. The price is also a bit much, maybe some bargains now the new Monstro is out... maybe. But the more important issue is its not a Monster and I LOVE Monsters.

Then theres the M900. I am finding it difficult to find a low mileage one with full service history in good condition for a decent price. I dont like the dry heavy clutch but... Pinkys tasty bits would fit onto an M900. Theres also the fact that up until now I was really lucky with Pinky, he was reliable and really good, it was lucky getting a cheap Monster that with some love and care proved to be a reliable trusty bike. I'm a bit concerned that I'll buy a 900 and it'll break and end up costing me as much as a 696.

So seeing as I cant make my mind up someone else can do it.

All advice and opinions welcome
Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
David Matthews

Bike: S2r 1000
If you look at previous posts, owners are very enthusiastic about the 695, a lot more power than a 600 or 620. The black tank/red frame version looks stunning, more sleek than the 696 and I would imagine dealers will heavily discount them. Worth taking one for a test ride?
David Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Scotty

i didn't think they did any of the above in pink ~:?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
get an m1000 and a bigger slave cylinder - you know it makes sense
Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
scrumpster

I got a hypermotard again for a night and day whilst my new cans are fitted and love it although I hated look of it. Handles great Would want one as well as my monster though
Old 07-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
barbican

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Matthews View Post
If you look at previous posts, owners are very enthusiastic about the 695, a lot more power than a 600 or 620. The black tank/red frame version looks stunning, more sleek than the 696 and I would imagine dealers will heavily discount them. Worth taking one for a test ride?
and I guess there will be some cheap s2r800 if there are any left in dealers

MCN say 696 is the only model for 2008, but then they often sell the new year from September so maybe an 1100 from September 08, why not test a 696 and if its fantastic but you want more power etc wait till Sept, you can allways spray some tank panels pink while you wait
Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
Thumper

LOL leave the pink out of it.... no actually dont

I'll be off to Ducati Aylesbury or Coventry quicker than you can say Monster when the 696 is out for a test ride as I like it. Good point about an 1100 maybe coming out by September.

Dunno much about the M1000 except they seem darn expensive at Ducati Aylesbury the few they had in there on Monday.

I dont want an S2R, S4R, S4RS as I want something air cooled. Me no likey radiators and oil coolers and thoe big ugly cat boxes.

Anyone else know what others Monsters I can fit Pinkys trick bits too like the M900, M1000 etc and what bits will fit? I think that might be the sensible option for the new year then wait till September and see if the M1100 I so badly want appears.

I dont really want a 695 as I want a fair bit more power than a 600. I have ridden one and although I liked it I just wanted some more guts. But because the 696 is sexy as hell I might be able to live with it

And yes, whatever I get will be PINK
Old 07-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
scrumpster

The S2R 800 is aircooled
Old 07-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #9
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
What trick bits do you want to transfer to the new bike? If we know we can give you some advice!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #10
Thumper

Oh yeah sorry bout that, it would be helpful wouldnt it

Megaphone pipes, carbon screen cowling, chrome valve and cam end covers, my mirror polished footrest hangers, carbon tank bra and the Ducati Performance comfort seat I am planning on buying.

Oh and I dont want an M750. Either M900 or M1000.... orrrr the S4, not the S4R, the S4, maybe parts are interchangeable with that one too!

I like the S2R 1000 and almost bought one from Duc Aylesbury, but its got an oil cooler stuck on the front

Last edited by Thumper; 08-11-2007 at 07:27 AM..
Old 08-11-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'm afraid they've all got oil coolers stuck on the front, M900, M1000, S4 all have it as standard. The S4 has a huge radiator as well.
Your footrest hangers and cans should fit all monsters, the cowl may be specific to the older monsters which rules out all but the M900, the seat as well.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #12
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Oh yeah sorry bout that, it would be helpful wouldnt it

Megaphone pipes, carbon screen cowling, chrome valve and cam end covers, my mirror polished footrest hangers, carbon tank bra and the Ducati Performance comfort seat I am planning on buying.

Oh and I dont want an M750. Either M900 or M1000.... orrrr the S4, not the S4R, the S4, maybe parts are interchangeable with that one too!

I like the S2R 1000 and almost bought one from Duc Aylesbury, but its got an oil cooler stuck on the front
The oil cooler on a S2R is hardly huge! It's the same size as on an M900
The lovely single side swing arm more than makes up for it any ugliness in the oil cooler dept.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 AM   #13
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
Your footrest hangers ... should fit all monsters
...not the S4R.

Speaking of which, Natty has his for sale - that's in great condition and on the budget you've got you could pimp/pink it up nicely! Best not tell him you'd be spraying it pink tho...
Old 08-11-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
benson

My M900 clutch i manageable enough on all but the most nasty commutes - the slave cylinder makes a big difference, probably offset by the stainless springs though - and well, a good strong left wrist is always useful!!!

So - the 900 would be my weapon of choice. 've had mine 6 years and although we've been through a few scrapes I wouldn't swap it for anything - and yes, I have a Hyper too - no comparison - both wonderful but both quite quite different...Hell - get what you want, sell your soul and why die in credit - it's been my motto for years!

Whatever you get you'll want to tart it up in no time and make it your won - so go for it my lovely and happy hunting and riding!!!
Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #15
desmo

I am in the same boat.
I was expecting Ducati to launch 3 versions of the new Monster 695 - 800 - 1100.
I was going to get the Mrs Desmo the 696 to replace her 620
I was going to have the 1100DS to replace my S2R 800 or maybe if funds allowed, i might have kept my S2R 800 as well.

Now Ducati have stuck a huge oar in my plans, i am in 2 minds what to do now? either trade in my S2R 800 for a S2R 1000 or wait a while to see if Ducati launch an 1100DS version of the new Monster as i suspect they will at some stage, it's just a question of when.

Desmo