PDA

View Full Version : Common problems with the used 900s

zxebeast
06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Anything in particular that I should be checking before committing my cash to a lovely monsterly Duke?

I'm mostly looking for pre2001 900 monsters.

Cheers!

Pedro
06-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Oil smoke! If it's puffing blue smoke whe hot figure on a top end overhaul (valve giudes etc) and new rings

Other than that look for a good service history, no big gaps between services etc. Lower mileage would be better but history is what to look for

Ped

gary tompkins
06-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Unless it's a real bargain - steer clear of a bike that's been used through winter, or stored badly with little TLC. You would see the obvious signs of salt damage/corrosion if it has, and it could turn into a money pit and be a PITA to sort out.

Geoff Avern
07-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Check the bottom of the forks (just run your hand over them) to see if they've been scratched up from the bike going down. It's common for bodywork, bars, levers, etc to be replaced after a bike going down (usually coz they're buggered) but frequently/usually the forks are fine except for some scratching.

Obviously, anything that has been down the road is potentially more of a risk. Not to say it WILL be a dud but it's certainly a bargaining point to get the price down.

Also there's a register somewhere (peoples, please?) which will tell you if the bike has ever been an insurance writeoff. Again, doesn't mean the bike is duff, but it won't be worth as much and possibly more difficult when it comes time to sell .

Ciao,
Geoff

DesmoDog
07-06-2006, 12:47 PM
no history, been down the road, high mileage year round commuter. Cost me 1500 on a 97 plate - can you tell that I bought with my heart?

Anyway, fixing it is half the fun innit?

stef
07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
same here, no history, unganranteed mileage, looking like a picasso, but i got it for £1150 on an Rplate.
(turned out to be a 600 frame with a 900 engine+900 bits. but no regrets !)

johndark
30-06-2006, 08:50 PM
The main problem to watch out for is your life being taken over by an ace bike,requiring lots of time spent staring at it ,doing mods on it,oh,and riding it!(2000 M900ie-best colour-DARK!) Sorry 'bout that:rolleyes: