UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Common problems with the used 900s

Old 06-06-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
zxebeast

Common problems with the used 900s

Anything in particular that I should be checking before committing my cash to a lovely monsterly Duke?

I'm mostly looking for pre2001 900 monsters.

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Oil smoke! If it's puffing blue smoke whe hot figure on a top end overhaul (valve giudes etc) and new rings

Other than that look for a good service history, no big gaps between services etc. Lower mileage would be better but history is what to look for

Ped
Old 06-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Unless it's a real bargain - steer clear of a bike that's been used through winter, or stored badly with little TLC. You would see the obvious signs of salt damage/corrosion if it has, and it could turn into a money pit and be a PITA to sort out.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Geoff Avern

Check the bottom of the forks (just run your hand over them) to see if they've been scratched up from the bike going down. It's common for bodywork, bars, levers, etc to be replaced after a bike going down (usually coz they're buggered) but frequently/usually the forks are fine except for some scratching.

Obviously, anything that has been down the road is potentially more of a risk. Not to say it WILL be a dud but it's certainly a bargaining point to get the price down.

Also there's a register somewhere (peoples, please?) which will tell you if the bike has ever been an insurance writeoff. Again, doesn't mean the bike is duff, but it won't be worth as much and possibly more difficult when it comes time to sell .

Ciao,
Geoff
Old 07-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #5
DesmoDog

mine was allof the above

no history, been down the road, high mileage year round commuter. Cost me 1500 on a 97 plate - can you tell that I bought with my heart?

Anyway, fixing it is half the fun innit?
Old 07-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #6
stef

same here, no history, unganranteed mileage, looking like a picasso, but i got it for £1150 on an Rplate.
(turned out to be a 600 frame with a 900 engine+900 bits. but no regrets !)
Old 30-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
johndark

Problems?

The main problem to watch out for is your life being taken over by an ace bike,requiring lots of time spent staring at it ,doing mods on it,oh,and riding it!(2000 M900ie-best colour-DARK!) Sorry 'bout that