PDA

View Full Version : Clipon's.... I neeeeeeeed

Julie
10-10-2005, 07:24 PM
I want some clipon's for my M620 dark monster.

Has anyone out there got any at a good price?

PM me if you have

Cheers
Julie

A Yerbury
10-10-2005, 07:31 PM
spares fellow, less than 50 quid and well made.....coincidentally I downloaded your "with rearsets" picture and photoshopped some clip ons and tail chop, actually that would be rather sad if I did that...truth be told I cut out half the bike and then thought "Balls to this". Anyway I am glad you agree, I find them much better.

Julie
10-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Show me a side on view of yours then Axel. I want to see what the line looks like.

A Yerbury
10-10-2005, 07:39 PM
the proof is in the eating.

Julie
10-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Thank you Alice

The clip ons are the way to go for sure! that photo convinces me.

However i just can't get my simple head around the tail chop....
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7823

A Yerbury
10-10-2005, 07:47 PM
you know it makes sense etc....then I scrawled this? how odd..

Zimbo
10-10-2005, 07:50 PM
I know Phoenix had a set of Road Racing clipons earlier in the year, tried them on her race bike but preferred the standard bars so took them off. She was going to sell them on, I can't remember if she ever actually did though, worth a pm?

gary tompkins
10-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Thank you Alice

The clip ons are the way to go for sure! that photo convinces me.

However i just can't get my simple head around the tail chop....
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7823

Nice work with the photoeditor Alex. Looks well hard with the clip-ons, and soooo much better with the cropped butt :D I'm even warming to the billet cyclecat pillion/can hanger thingy - but that fender extenda AAAAHGH! :eek:

Right that does it my ones going on fleabay, before I have a momentary lapse and try to fit it! :o

A Yerbury
10-10-2005, 09:43 PM
actually cut out wise it's a bit (very) shoddy, but yes the cats look much nicer/relevant, as for the fender extender............

Julie
12-10-2005, 11:51 AM
http://www.spareshack.com/cgi-bin/browse-no-frames.cgi?session=74997737&view=group&group=mon4900s4bil4

is anyone using these clip on's? Sparesshacks own make?

are they any good?

DesmoDog
12-10-2005, 11:54 AM
dunno, but I can vouch for clip ons - As Tony said, they're greeeeat!

gary tompkins
12-10-2005, 12:39 PM
http://www.spareshack.com/cgi-bin/browse-no-frames.cgi?session=74997737&view=group&group=mon4900s4bil4

is anyone using these clip on's? Sparesshacks own make?

are they any good?

Julie,

I have the Redlines from spareshack. Tried them without risers at first but found them too low so added risers later. You might find the lower position ok with the rearsets, as I run mine with standard footrests. Spot on for me now - loads better than stadard bars IMO and pretty cheap too.

Did have a picture minus riser - but buggered if I can find it now.

gary tompkins
12-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Ahh heres a few more photos...

Julie
13-10-2005, 06:30 AM
Thanks for the photos Gary - I will buy the spareshack ones.

gary tompkins
17-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Julie,

Stuart also has a set of Roadracing clipons in his sale at the moment.

http://www.fatbloke.devstars.com/offers_spareshack/pages/56%20Road%20Racing%20clip%20%2350160.html

Banshee
17-10-2005, 10:06 PM
whats a clip on?

Chris
17-10-2005, 10:34 PM
similar to a ClingOn? or maybe a StrapOn??

Alternatively it's a set of bike handlebars which mount (or clip?!) onto the fork legs instead of on a top yoke mounted mount. Commonly found on sports bikes, and look great on Monsters (IMO). Wait till you see the pictures of Julies tomorrow...

Julie
18-10-2005, 05:45 AM
similar to a ClingOn? or maybe a StrapOn??

Alternatively it's a set of bike handlebars which mount (or clip?!) onto the fork legs instead of on a top yoke mounted mount. Commonly found on sports bikes, and look great on Monsters (IMO). Wait till you see the pictures of Julies tomorrow...
here are the photos. i havent ridden with the new clipon's yet. I think they look loads better than the original handle bars. Just got to get a flat cover for the mount bar - and re locate the heated grip button. Thanks to Chris for fitting them xx
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7877&stc=1
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7878&stc=1
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7879&stc=1
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7880&stc=1

Mand
18-10-2005, 07:08 AM
V posh Joolie, yer flash bird.
:p

I'll be interested to know how it rides now, maybe if I ask nicely you will let me have a go?

A Yerbury
18-10-2005, 09:16 AM
you could just take the mounting bar off, it looks a bit redundant there covered or not, fill the empties with dome top stainless bolts.

slob
18-10-2005, 10:50 AM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7880&stc=1
...just to prove the dark ones are fastest eh?
Did you have to mess with any cables or did everything reach OK?
I have a set of bent handlebars, PM me if you want me to saw a short section out and send it to you to mount the grip-switch on.
I'd also be interested to know what the handling's like, presumably you had to drop the forks through the yokes another 15mm or so.

Julie
18-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Slob

That would be a good idea about the bar - because the top plate that Stu sent me with the cipon's wont fit. Its to big.
Yes we dropped the Forks about 10mm. I'll let you know about the handling - i'm abit scared i wont like it. Roll on the weekend.
The cables were fine - just undid the clocks and pushed the break and clutch hoses underneath to give us more lengh. It looks neather as well.
Julie

Julie
18-10-2005, 11:09 AM
you could just take the mounting bar off, it looks a bit redundant there covered or not, fill the empties with dome top stainless bolts.

What have you done with yours? can you put a photo on here to show me please?

I have a spare top plate which should fit yours - you're very welcome to have it if you want?

Julie
18-10-2005, 11:09 AM
V posh Joolie, yer flash bird.
:p

I'll be interested to know how it rides now, maybe if I ask nicely you will let me have a go?

Swap you ago for a go on that 916 you have!?

slob
18-10-2005, 11:27 AM
... the top plate that Stu sent me with the cipon's wont fit. Its too big.
Earlier bikes have separate risers, they're part of the top yoke on later models.

Julie
18-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Earlier bikes have separate risers, they're part of the top yoke on later models.

do you know of any were that sell a top thingy that will fit?

Mand
18-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Swap you ago for a go on that 916 you have!?

What 916? Oh you must mean this one....... :D

slob
18-10-2005, 12:31 PM
do you know of any were that sell a top thingy that will fit?
personally, I'd just cut out and drill a piece of ally plate to fit, but you'd have to move the switch for your grips elswhere (I have a GPS bracket between my risers).

A Yerbury
18-10-2005, 01:11 PM

I have a spare top plate which should fit yours - you're very welcome to have it if you want?

thanks but no thanks as I have taken the entire thing if, if rob is speaking the truth then your later yoke has the block attached. I have a k&n filter you can have providing boo boo doesnt want it.

slob
18-10-2005, 01:32 PM
if rob is speaking the truth
Would I lie to you?

Chris
18-10-2005, 06:36 PM
What 916? Oh you must mean this one....... :D

That's one sexy bike Mrs. I'm v. jealous!!!

JMo
18-10-2005, 08:01 PM
I reckon Slob may have hit the nail on the head with the cut down length of bar idea... If you cut a short length of handlebar tube flush with the outer edges of the yoke clamps, then bung in a couple of black plastic MTB bar end caps like wot I fit in the frames when I do them tailchoppy thingies, then you can clamp the heated grip switch to the bar (between the yoke clamps) like you had before?

Top job x

xxx

A Yerbury
18-10-2005, 08:21 PM
I reckon Slob may have hit the nail on the head with the cut down length of bar idea... If you cut a short length of handlebar tube flush with the outer edges of the yoke clamps, then bung in a couple of black plastic MTB bar end caps like wot I fit in the frames when I do them tailchoppy thingies, then you can clamp the heated grip switch to the bar (between the yoke clamps) like you had before?

Top job x

xxx

are you up for this Julie!?....."Chrissss!!...."

A Yerbury
18-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Would I lie to you? I wish you were. do not ever send me pictures of your parts again.

scrumpster
18-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Cooorrrrrr I'm impressed Julie, they look great, not sure being in that position on mine would do my back any good though!. One of the pictures along the way reminded me of a pair of handcuffs though with no chain in between............. :eek:

Paranoid Dave
18-10-2005, 08:51 PM
and to think i tried to talk you into clip ons so long ago and you didn't want them :rolleyes: so have you given it a spin yet, go on you'll love it :D first set of twisties and you'll feel so in control and part of the bike there's no turning back.

gary tompkins
18-10-2005, 11:28 PM
As slob said the risers are cast with the top yoke on later monsters, so your stuck with them when you change to clip-ons. Options are milling the blocks off and fitting a cover plate of some sort, or swapping to the earlier yoke without the risers and then fitting a cover plate.

Mine didn't have the risers so i just knocked up an ally cover plate/bracket for the lumiglo clock i fitted, which I just stuck on with blobs of clear silicone sealant - may be an option for your grip switch? The only headache was caused when I swapped to 53mm 916 forks as well, which entailed using an early monster yoke machined to suit. I discovered the clock unit mounts differ from my later 900 dark, so had to improvise with 6mm studding and dome nuts.

Hope you get on ok with the new setup, as I said earlier I added risers in the end but it makes getting the cables and hoses to reach a PITA. Didn't need to drop my forks as they had around 25mm proud as standard, so dropping yours 10mm may quicken up the steering a tad.

Stick with it - it will seem weird at first, but don't be afraid to fiddle until it feels spot on. I adjusted mine a lot until I was happy, and ended up with them angled a long way back - I notice yours are set quite straight at present?

Julie
19-10-2005, 06:10 AM
are you up for this Julie!?....."Chrissss!!...."

Oi Mr ''whats that shepherds hook shaped thing under the tank'' yerbs.........i'll have you know i can do some jobs on my bike's. Tonight I will be doing an oil change on my KTM (which has two filters and two screens) along with swaping the air filter. I think i can manage to do slobs idea of putting 9cm bar into the mount top and cable tie the heated grip button back on - You lot are an odd bunch......i thought i was going to get teased with 'Clips on's and heated grips!!!' 'You need a tail chop now' but intsead you come up with ideas how i can mount the spoddy item onto the bike. You queer bunch!

PS. Slob has got his hacksaw out as i type....
PPS. Gary i agree - i'm going to ride it and then see if i want to move them back like yours are.

Chris
19-10-2005, 07:23 AM
WIll you actually be cleaning both screens? or do you still need a hand getting the second one out?!!!!!

I like Robs idea of making a perch for mounting stuff on,
and agree with Gary that the bars will probably want swinging back,

But having heated grips on your clip-ons and wanting to tail chop your bike with a scotoiller!!! Whatever next!!! A gel seat cover?? A fender extender?? Oh you've already got one of those!!

Julie
19-10-2005, 11:40 AM
WIll you actually be cleaning both screens? or do you still need a hand getting the second one out?!!!!!

I like Robs idea of making a perch for mounting stuff on,
and agree with Gary that the bars will probably want swinging back,

But having heated grips on your clip-ons and wanting to tail chop your bike with a scotoiller!!! Whatever next!!! A gel seat cover?? A fender extender?? Oh you've already got one of those!!

Hey I've NOT got a gel seat!

Tho i do need your special tool that you say you have to sort out my Aerial on the waggon wheel........

Paranoid Dave
19-10-2005, 02:33 PM
You queer bunch!

Who you calling queer?

Julie
19-10-2005, 02:38 PM
You monkey boy!

Julie
19-10-2005, 06:33 PM
I've moved the clipon's further back. As far i i can have them without them hitting the ank on full lock. better don't you think?

Oh and Alex i did it all on my own x

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7901&stc=1
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7902&stc=1

Ruth
20-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Oh and Alex i did it all on my own x

Excuse me? ALL on your own? Do my mighty efforts not count for anything?

Julie
20-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Excuse me? ALL on your own? Do my mighty efforts not count for anything?

sorry my love - thank you for the tea x

Ruth
20-10-2005, 07:41 AM
sorry my love - thank you for the tea x

Cow
xxxxxxxx

A Yerbury
20-10-2005, 08:03 AM
clip ons and heated grips???

Julie
20-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Well i have just been out for the frst time with my new clipon's on.... a little 20 miles jolly and i like them. i cant really say more than that at the mo having only done 20 miles.

So if you're interested i'll keep you all posted.....

gary tompkins
20-10-2005, 06:14 PM
I've moved the clipon's further back. As far i i can have them without them hitting the ank on full lock. better don't you think

Oh and Alex i did it all on my own x?
That's more like it - mine angle back as much as possible, without trapping my thumbs or pressing the starter button on full lock. Check they don't loosen off after a few miles, and start to move as mine did. I found the cap screws need to be done up ***kin tight to stop them twisting. Also check the screws are the right length - one supplied in my kit was too long and damaged the top of my fork tube :( luckily it's hidden from view.

Hey I've NOT got a gel seat!

I'm sure your seat's not gel enhanced. It always looks just fine (in shorts) to me ;)

Paranoid Dave
20-10-2005, 06:48 PM
on that subject, can i ask that you pack some more shorts for arrow mill next year, maybe smaller than last year, i'm thinking kylie style hotpants? Did i tell you i have a single room ;)
x

ps. i'm talking to Julie and not Gary here.

DesmoDog
21-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Gary, what are the red bits at the top of your yokes? Did you piant the tops or are they something special? On that note - Are the taps on the top of some peoples yokes mega money adjustable types? Enquiring - and quite pissed now that I've drnak most of BA's stock of Poilly Fume - minds need to know. 18:23 on a Friday and I know I'm in trouble.

Julie
21-10-2005, 04:43 PM
Thanks Slob - bar arrived today - I'll fit it now!

x

A Yerbury
21-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Gary, what are the red bits at the top of your yokes? Did you piant the tops or are they something special? On that note - Are the taps on the top of some peoples yokes mega money adjustable types? Enquiring - and quite pissed now that I've drnak most of BA's stock of Poilly Fume - minds need to know. 18:23 on a Friday and I know I'm in trouble.

adjusters, standard on racey forks, pro bolt and others also make them.

gary tompkins
21-10-2005, 08:03 PM

As Yerbs said - my forks are borrowed from a 916 which have the anodised tops (preload & damping adjusters) as standard.

Which is nice :)

A Yerbury
22-10-2005, 08:08 PM

I think you have it sorted now but..

Julie
24-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Thank you to Slob and Jmo for sending the bar (slob) and bar ends (Jmo)

Fitted both this evening and they just finish off the front end...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7934&stc=1
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7935&stc=1
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7936&stc=1
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7937&stc=1
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=7938&stc=1

Check out the new Bar end's - £3.99 from Halfords - mountain bike one's and i think they look brilliat.

JMo
24-10-2005, 07:18 PM
Just got to lose the tail and those hoooooooooooge indicators, and you'll be sorted for Eeeeeeeeeeeez and wizz...

xxx

ps. And fit a Monza bellypan x

Fred
24-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Did you tile the garage floor, been thinkin about that for ages to keep the dust down? If you did what tiles did you use nothing special I hope?

Fred

Julie
24-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Just got to lose the tail and those hoooooooooooge indicators, and you'll be sorted for Eeeeeeeeeeeez and wizz...

xxx

ps. And fit a Monza bellypan x

Not a chance. Not tail choppin here .....

Billy no chop

Did you tile the garage floor, been thinkin about that for ages to keep the dust down? If you did what tiles did you use nothing special I hope?

Fred

No Fred - I have just painted the slabs in green floor paint.

Little Monster
24-10-2005, 08:26 PM
Looking nice Julie - I really fancy some clip ons - they look so much better. Just not sure about the ride for a little un like me.

Anyone of around 5foot3 got clip ons on their bike that can tell me what the comfort level is like?

A Yerbury
24-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Looking nice Julie - I really fancy some clip ons - they look so much better. Just not sure about the ride for a little un like me.

Anyone of around 5foot3 got clip ons on their bike that can tell me what the comfort level is like?

I wish I was 5 foot 3, that way lorries and large refrigerators would inspire shock and awe! being (slightly taller than) average can be quite dull...although clothes shopping is easy.

Paranoid Dave
24-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Lil' Mo

Comfort depends on where and how you ride. the upright position is always comfy (nearly) but clip ons can be angled a lot more to make your own position. Then depending on the speed and type of road you are on you comfort will vary greatly. You will find you ride more aggresively and have more fun so not notice the possible pain anyway :D SIt at 40mph for an hour and you'll notice it.

A Yerbury
24-10-2005, 09:07 PM
your little arms reached mine? they can be angled back a bit too.

Pedro
24-10-2005, 09:29 PM

Fred

I used some spare laminate flooring over a carpet underlay, great for the paddock stand and wipe clean for the inevitable oil spills...

gary tompkins
24-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Yer big woofta - I throw tin tacks and broken glass on the floor. The pain helps to keep me awake when fettling the bike in the wee small hours :twisted:

Pretty tidy de-coke BTW :cool:

Little Monster
25-10-2005, 10:21 PM
your little arms reached mine? they can be angled back a bit too.

Easy tiger! Indeedy do. Felt comfy etc but am wondering if it's a bit like new shoes, nips after a while.

when funds permit, knowing me, i'll probably just get some anyhoo x