PDA

View Full Version : Reliability ??

nina
26-07-2005, 07:38 PM
Hi All
Having decided on an M620ie i've mentioned it to a couple of bikey friends & they all seem horrified by my choice !! :eek:

They seem to be saying that it'll spend more time at the repairers than actually riding it....

This concerns me a bit, of course, but is there any truth in the statement as i'm looking to purchase asap?

I really don't want to buy Japanese if i can avoid it as i love the look, size & weight of the 620, plus The Name

Thanks for any honest replies :D

Bev

Mand
26-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I've got a 620, it has only failed me once and was because I had a dodgy battery and I hadn't ridden it for a fortnight (because I was on holiday) and forgot to disconnect the battery. Like I say, it was a dodgy battery which I replaced.

You ride what YOU want to ride. :)

A Yerbury
26-07-2005, 07:50 PM
earlier bikes yes, the ie 620 no. I would rattle on about how misled your bikey mates are, how they will all turner a greener shade of pale when small children, pensioners, "with it" dads and young tarts throw themselves at you declaring their love of Ducatis and all things Italian..happens all the time.

Alex.
don't forget to really rub it in with some proper cans, an open clutch and a tail hack.

steviej
26-07-2005, 08:26 PM
.................Oh, that old chestnut.
I've had a 1998 M750 for 5 years and the only thing that has gone wrong was a starter relay under the seat......

......oh aye, the blinkers are a little temperamental since I changed them.

There's plenty of advice if things do go wrong and if it does, it's usually 'stuff' that can be sorted in a few mins........................ ;)

And like Mand says, "You ride what YOU want to ride". :D

slob
26-07-2005, 08:41 PM
No major reliability problems with mine, 15K miles in 2 years in all but sub-zero temperatures.

Zimbo
26-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Non Ducati people tend to see Ducatis as unreliable, which to be fair they once were (about 20 - 30 years ago!). This opinion is generally formed because they once spoke to someone in a pub who had a friend who's brother owned a Ducati in 1973 and it broke down occasionally.
Modern ones are very much better, and the air cooled (monster / ss) range is the most reliable of the Ducati range.
You can expect your monster to be as reliable or more reliable than most jap bikes, just as long as you keep it serviced - they won't put up with neglect as well as the japanese!

Pedro
26-07-2005, 09:29 PM
It's a load of cobblers - ride it regularly and it'll be no problem. I have a 93 900 which apart from a little oil smoke (it's due a top end over haul) is sound as a pound.

BTW I see your in Portsmurf, I'm not far away in Fareham if you wanna second opinion on anything. You got two choices of dealers in the area - CMW at Chichester or Moto Rapido at Winchester, both are ok.

Ped

Didge
26-07-2005, 10:03 PM
don't forget to really rub it in with some proper cans, an open clutch and a tail hack.

Alex dear boy. Tut-tut. One cannot open the clutch of a 620, as it's a wet one. Shame on you for that little piece of misinformation.
Please consider yourself suitably chastised.

A Yerbury
26-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Alex dear boy. Tut-tut. One cannot open the clutch of a 620, as it's a wet one. Shame on you for that little piece of misinformation.
Please consider yourself suitably chastised.

Apologies! I do know this but for some reason I have 900 s on the brain? how queer..

Didge
26-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Apologies! I do know this but for some reason I have 900 s on the brain? how queer..

Apology excepted, and the worst part is, I knew that you knew it, but I trust it has nothing to do with queerness.
Here's hoping that you are not going to grow a thick 'manly' drooping moustache.

Anyway, back on track. Anyone who says that the modern Ducatis are unreliable, is talking out of their ignorant rear-ends, as everyone on here will confirm.

dlloyduk
26-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Go for it! I thought the same, always wanted a monster I took my test for that reason, then read/heard the stories and started lookin at SV's etc.-not the same - No character. I bought a 620 Dark and up to now no problem's.
One more thing I stopped the other day for a coffee at a local bike stop, whilst sitting I glanced over a couple of times at the bike, amongst a long row of Jap things-as you do. Everyone stopped and took a second look at the Monster, 3 kids with mobile took pics and everyone bloke pointed it out to the kids! Would anyone have done that with an SV? Not.

Unless they were saying how crap it was and taking the P**s! :D

A Yerbury
26-07-2005, 10:48 PM
It's true! occasionally I just stare and wonder at the perfection of it all..... mind you I also ramble about the countryside in the dead of night, armed only with my ninja turtle pyjamas, a wooden sword (broom handle actually) and an imaginary 10 foot Panda called Horace.

Alex.

nina
27-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Thanks all....

You've put my mind at rest.....

Ped: Thanks for the info on the dealers near Portsmouth. I visited CMW & they had a 600 for sale but i'm going to hold out for the 620ie. Am i also right in saying there's a dealer in Alton somewhere?

Thanks all again. I think the reliability comments people have said to me where probably based on 'old' bikes; unfortunately peeps have very long memories!!

Cheers again
Bev (i really can't wait to get hold of one....) :lol:

Pedro
27-07-2005, 06:31 AM
Ped: Thanks for the info on the dealers near Portsmouth. I visited CMW & they had a 600 for sale but i'm going to hold out for the 620ie. Am i also right in saying there's a dealer in Alton somewhere?

Doh, forgot about them - Snells are at Alton. Head for the train station, you'll find them no probs.

Good luck!

Ped

paul620sie
27-07-2005, 07:16 AM
I've have a 620Sie, purchased new 2 yrs ago. 3200miles later; zero reliability problems, zero warrantee claims. It sat idle over two winters in my garage (with the occasional short ride out) and I use an Optimate all year round to keep the battery charged. It starts every time I want to ride it. My mates also said I’d be on first names terms with the local Ducati dealer.

I also have a 3yr old VW Golf….. lets just say I got to know the service dept crew very well during the second year, the sunroof still leaks when I park facing downhill when its raining and don’t mention the cold start drivability problem… “they all do that sir”.

I’m on the verge of trading up from my 620 and I’m only thinking of Monster options…. S2R, 1000ie, S4R.

Melnie Mouse
27-07-2005, 07:51 AM
Like everybody has said, if you ride them, and service them, like anything you look after there should be no problems. As with any bike, if you ride in snow/ice, wash the salt off afterwards to save corrosion, those and suzuki's are worst for that.

Speaking of Alton, we do a run there sometimes, on a wednesday night, meet all the other bikes, we ought to meet up Portsdown Hill and take a trip up there, today's a bit naff - Eh Ped??? :D :) but maybe we can do it next wednesday then??? :D

Right, best hang up my w/proofs to dry on the banisters, and my gloves on the shelving posts, and better do some work I suppose!

Moley
27-07-2005, 08:27 AM
No problems with mine Nina, you wont look back.

Nonnie
27-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey Nina

I got a 620ie. I have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Was off the road for 2 months and my baby started perfectly. He lives outside too and has been snowed on, rained on and still starts every time and gives me no problems.

You know you have to get one. They're all right you know. It's going to be fine, there is one out there with your name on. Get loud cans and turn heads girl!

Scotty
27-07-2005, 11:04 AM
well just to show were not all bised i had an old 600 which was a complete arse and wouldn't run in the rain

nik_the_brief
27-07-2005, 05:12 PM
well just to show were not all bised i had an old 600 which was a complete arse and wouldn't run in the rain

But I have an old 600 which is brill, fine in all weathers (with a little help from Silky Pro FST in the winter). It looks rather manky coz I use it all year round and never have the time to wash the salt and crap off from winter riding.

A few minor problems over the couple of years I've had her but nothing particularly untoward (except the ignition pickup coils and that was just bad luck and not a common problem apparently). Comparatively simple to work on and still more of a head turner than any Jap crap on the streets.

MikeG
28-07-2005, 07:37 AM

mmmm!!!!!
I have a four year old 600, that I have had from new. It will hit 40K miles this week and has been used almost daily for all that time. No reliability problems and has only failed to start once, relay duff, only unplanned stops have been punctures (two) and one blocked breather pipe, and once when it ran out of petrol due to the nice chaps at Ducati failing to put the fuel sensor back on after a service.. Would I buy another 600? No way, it would have to be bigger and faster, but definately still a monster...

gary tompkins
28-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Nina,

I had a second hand 1995 model M600 for two years and around 6000 miles with no real hassle, apart from it eating rear taillamp bulbs, a leaky fork seal and P.I.T.A. carb icing in cold weather.

Now have a 900ie bought new in Feb 2002, and covered just over 19,000 miles to date. Few minor things like blown bulbs and a faulty front brake light switch in the first year. Clutch slave unit was also swapped at first service as part of a Ducati UK recall, although mine was ok at the time.

Had a break in the wiring loom near the headstock last year, which took some tracking down. It left me with a dead starter button for a few weeks but managed to repair it ok once the fault was isolated. Replaced rear brake m/cylinder at 16,000 miles after original seized and cooked rear disc. Also had a faulty temperature sensor changed at last service to cure a cold starting problem, and the bike runs spot on again now.

Engine is still giving 50+ mpg and using very little oil between changes :cool:

Modern Ducatis are reliable when properly looked after and serviced. I think a lot of people judge Ducati reliability on heresay and utter garbage written in the bike press, rather than on actual experience ;)

Hope you get the 620 sorted soon

skunk43
28-07-2005, 05:42 PM
This is my first Ducati and what a great little bike it is :D . I have put on 4000miles in the last couple months riding every day in all kinds of weather.She does 60miles a day on the motorway and gets :twisted: thrashed around the the hills and lochs of the trossachs every weekend.
Never missed a beat and put many bigger bikes to shame on the twisty bits. Tyres,and full service this weekend.
I have owned many Jap bikes but Im now a dedicated Ducatist and my next bike will be a 999s,(The baby monster will stay) mind you the Sports retros looks good.
GO on and buy it you wont be sorry !!!!!!!!

bod
28-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Hmm different story here,had two intermitant non start/break down problems that were eventualy sorted.(starter solenoid and fuel pump relay).
Do I still like the bike after these? YOU BET I must have been the unlucky one :)

spacemonkey
28-07-2005, 07:14 PM
The bike's might be fairly reliable but the factory isn't always! If anything unusual goes pop during the summer, then you'd better hope somone carries the spares in stock cos it'll take months to get stuff from the factory as they shut for August and this means they slow down in July and take all of September to think about working again. Can get a bit tedious if the bik eis eternally stuck inthe shop. Also servicing costs seem to have the Ducati percentage added on to any bill to make you feel extra special. How come my 93 900 costs over £500 for a cambelt swap service yet my car costs £225 for a full service and cambelt swap? We are being ripped off.... Saying that though, It's a cracker of a bike and the newer ones like the 620 won't give you much more grief than a Jap bike. As has been said, on time proper servicing is the key and can't be skimped on. Find a reliable recommended independent who is cheap and all should be well.

gary tompkins
28-07-2005, 07:44 PM
How come my 93 900 costs over £500 for a cambelt swap service yet my car costs £225 for a full service and cambelt swap? We are being ripped off....

Err.... yes you have to be honest - if you did pay that much?

The moral as always is shop around and make sure the trusty bull**** detector is switched on before accepting a quote ;)

NattyBoy
28-07-2005, 07:56 PM
Hmmm..these mates dont ride soul less japanese shell suits do they ??!!! Ive replied to quite a few posts like these, and you've got nothing to worry about my friend.

In 8 years of ducati ownership i've never had anything major gone wrong (he says touching wood furiously!). The two top tips though are;

1) Ride it regularly - dukes dont like sitting around for months doing nowt.
2) Get it serviced by a quality dealer religiously.

So there you are...go and buy one...see your mates turn green with envy and be prepared for admiring looks from the general public.

Cheers
Nat

Dave-the-rave
04-06-2012, 03:21 PM
How about the older M600? I have been led to believe they are prone to electrical problems...is that true?

He11cat
05-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Had way worse problems on 3 kwacks one went up in smoke and fire ten mins after I had the dam thing and was the newest bike I ever owned !
Any older bike may get electrical problems to be honest .. just age... wires get brittle.
I had relay problems to start with and they do not like alarms!!!.... but apart from fuel sender wires and crank pic ups its been ok. I am sure there are many more folk who will say the same.

griffs
05-06-2012, 08:35 AM
I bought a 620 ie from a freind as a winter project. It was neglected for 5 years so I had some work to do. After replacing correded parts, including the fuel pump and installing a new battery, it started 1st time.

But what really impressed me after working previously on a Japanese bike is how well engineered the bike is and how simple it is to work on. As an engineer I would say the parts are quality and the design is excellent and supports easy maintenance.

Go for it. The ride itself is fantastic, it's light, responsive and fun. As long as you look after it as you would any other bike you will have no problems.

Enjoy.

Griffs

Zimbo
05-06-2012, 10:45 AM
How about the older M600? I have been led to believe they are prone to electrical problems...is that true?

Nope. Occasional reg / rec failure (but not as often as H*ndas) otherwise they're pretty bulletproof.
Good effort in bringing back a 7 year old thread though!

griffs
05-06-2012, 11:12 AM
I think a special commendation is in order for bringing up a 7 year old thread. I had no idea I was subscribing to one:chuckle:

It could be a regular competition, see who can go back the farthest and get contribution

utopia
05-06-2012, 11:17 AM
To be honest, I think the reputation for dodgy electrics is a little unfair, and is probably a bit of a throwback to the bikes of the 70s.
Most of the components are common to other makes anyway, and seem to be well designed, with good, waterproof connectors and switchgear etc.
One exception may be the charging circuit, which suffers from non-waterproof connectors to and from the reg/rec, which are a little exposed to the elements and can cause the reg/rec to fail. Battery acid staining on the frame due to the resulting overcharging seems to be a fairly common problem, which afflicted my bike too. I extended the wiring and relocated the offending connectors under the tank, by the coils and cdi units, and have had no further problems in about 10k miles.
The only other electrical issue I've had was a broken wire in the starting circuit, caused by flexing of the loom near the steering head...again a fairly common problem, but one that other makes are probably subject too as well, not just ducatis.
I only speak for the carbed 2-valve models though....I've heard of water getting into the clocks on electronic models and causing issues, but this obviously doesn't affect the carbed models, and my instruments have remained totally dry.

I would agree with Griffs, that the 2-valve models in particular are well designed and are simplicity and joy to work on.
Don't believe the tales of the need for constant and expensive servicing by ducati-trained mechanics either. Belt changes are dead simple and even the desmo valve gear can be serviced by a competent and careful home mechanic....both operations requiring no special tools.

Personally, having ridden various bikes since the 70s, and having a bit of an engineering background as well, I would say that the 2-valve models are the best all round motorcycles ever designed, and I will not be looking to replace mine with anything else, ever.

gary tompkins
05-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Ignitions pick-ups and CDI units (ignitors) do fail on older carbed. Reg/Rec unit is the other common fault, plus the usual crop of ignition relays, starter solenoids etc.. They can be a bit more tempamental and expensive to service than Jap multi's or twins, but the rewards for long term ownership make it worth it for most. Buying a new Ducati just as a garage ornament, and flog it after a season is never going to be a very fulfilling experience. It's also a sure way to loose a heap of cash in depreciation.

Buy an older Ducati.. ride it, service it and look after it for a few years and it'll hold it value pretty well

Dave-the-rave
05-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. I will be buying a bike next year having been off the road for 8 years following a spinal injury. I will be looking for a light bike which is affordable to run on a budget as I'm still not working since my accident. So far both the M600 and Suzuki SV650 tick all my boxes. The M900 is more my kinda ting but hey...I'm lucky to be getting back on a bike at all so I'll gladly settle for a middle weight.

I'll let ya's know what I buy around springtime. Cheers.

utopia
05-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Might I suggest the middleweight 750 as worth considering ?
The general view seems to be that the extra little bit makes all the difference over the 600.
I've only ridden my 750, so I can't really say, but after 6 or 7 yrs I still feel no real need for the extra power of the 900.
I can also say that its well mannered, even around town, and the wet clutch is light(er), and long lasting for low maintenance costs.
You'd pick one up for between 1k and 2k, and it would probably hardly depreciate at all over many years.
If memory serves, the insurance grouping is relatively favourable too, compared to the 900.
I run mine on a self-imposed low budget, and with a little fairly simple home mechanic..ing, they are a fine proposition. Mine's never seen inside a dealership workshop.
Any size will be lightweight and easy to manoeuvre.
The only downsides I can really think of, considering your spinal injury, are that the forks may be a little hard over bumps (linear springs, I believe), and the riding position a little crouched, but both are tweekable.
The Suzuki is fairly highly rated, but you may be able to fall completely in love with the monster.
That has to be worth a punt, doesn't it....?
And that in itself makes it a good budget bike, cos you'll not want to be changing it for something else in a hurry.........as long as you get the 750 that is, not the 600.......:)

Scott1
06-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi, I've had two 600's, the first was a 95 model and the electrics were pretty bad and inconsistent, especially the lights, the clutch master cylinder also failed twice, however I then had a later 2000 model 600 and it was a wolrd apart, nothing went wrong with it really, even when I thought it did make the odd weird noise it was nothing, so maybe a later one would be a better option, I don't think the price would be loads different.

Pomp1
06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Funny that the reg/rec and CDIs are a japanese part..

Dave-the-rave
06-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Might I suggest the middleweight 750 as worth considering ?
The general view seems to be that the extra little bit makes all the difference over the 600.
I've only ridden my 750, so I can't really say, but after 6 or 7 yrs I still feel no real need for the extra power of the 900.
I can also say that its well mannered, even around town, and the wet clutch is light(er), and long lasting for low maintenance costs.
You'd pick one up for between 1k and 2k, and it would probably hardly depreciate at all over many years.
If memory serves, the insurance grouping is relatively favourable too, compared to the 900.
I run mine on a self-imposed low budget, and with a little fairly simple home mechanic..ing, they are a fine proposition. Mine's never seen inside a dealership workshop.
Any size will be lightweight and easy to manoeuvre.
The only downsides I can really think of, considering your spinal injury, are that the forks may be a little hard over bumps (linear springs, I believe), and the riding position a little crouched, but both are tweekable.
The Suzuki is fairly highly rated, but you may be able to fall completely in love with the monster.
That has to be worth a punt, doesn't it....?
And that in itself makes it a good budget bike, cos you'll not want to be changing it for something else in a hurry.........as long as you get the 750 that is, not the 600.......:)

The cost of insurance is relevant regarding a bigger engine but I will be considering something larger if I can get affordable cover. Living in London with zero no claims will affect my decision.

gary tompkins
07-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Both the 600 and 750 should fall into group 12 or 13 on insurance

Valuation and security arrangements (garage) would have a big influence on insurance cost too