UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Reliability ??

Old 26-07-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
nina

Reliability ??

Hi All
Having decided on an M620ie i've mentioned it to a couple of bikey friends & they all seem horrified by my choice !!

They seem to be saying that it'll spend more time at the repairers than actually riding it....

This concerns me a bit, of course, but is there any truth in the statement as i'm looking to purchase asap?

I really don't want to buy Japanese if i can avoid it as i love the look, size & weight of the 620, plus The Name

Thanks for any honest replies

Bev
Old 26-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #2
Mand

I've got a 620, it has only failed me once and was because I had a dodgy battery and I hadn't ridden it for a fortnight (because I was on holiday) and forgot to disconnect the battery. Like I say, it was a dodgy battery which I replaced.

You ride what YOU want to ride.
Old 26-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #3
A Yerbury

a wise choice madam

earlier bikes yes, the ie 620 no. I would rattle on about how misled your bikey mates are, how they will all turner a greener shade of pale when small children, pensioners, "with it" dads and young tarts throw themselves at you declaring their love of Ducatis and all things Italian..happens all the time.

Alex.
don't forget to really rub it in with some proper cans, an open clutch and a tail hack.
Old 26-07-2005, 08:26 PM   #4
steviej

Exclamation Sh!t Ducati's

.................Oh, that old chestnut.
I've had a 1998 M750 for 5 years and the only thing that has gone wrong was a starter relay under the seat......

......oh aye, the blinkers are a little temperamental since I changed them.

There's plenty of advice if things do go wrong and if it does, it's usually 'stuff' that can be sorted in a few mins........................

And like Mand says, "You ride what YOU want to ride".
Old 26-07-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
No major reliability problems with mine, 15K miles in 2 years in all but sub-zero temperatures.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 09:05 PM   #6
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Non Ducati people tend to see Ducatis as unreliable, which to be fair they once were (about 20 - 30 years ago!). This opinion is generally formed because they once spoke to someone in a pub who had a friend who's brother owned a Ducati in 1973 and it broke down occasionally.
Modern ones are very much better, and the air cooled (monster / ss) range is the most reliable of the Ducati range.
You can expect your monster to be as reliable or more reliable than most jap bikes, just as long as you keep it serviced - they won't put up with neglect as well as the japanese!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #7
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

It's a load of cobblers - ride it regularly and it'll be no problem. I have a 93 900 which apart from a little oil smoke (it's due a top end over haul) is sound as a pound.

BTW I see your in Portsmurf, I'm not far away in Fareham if you wanna second opinion on anything. You got two choices of dealers in the area - CMW at Chichester or Moto Rapido at Winchester, both are ok.

Ped
Old 26-07-2005, 10:03 PM   #8
Didge

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury

don't forget to really rub it in with some proper cans, an open clutch and a tail hack.
Alex dear boy. Tut-tut. One cannot open the clutch of a 620, as it's a wet one. Shame on you for that little piece of misinformation.
Please consider yourself suitably chastised.
Old 26-07-2005, 10:17 PM   #9
A Yerbury

it's been a long day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didge
Alex dear boy. Tut-tut. One cannot open the clutch of a 620, as it's a wet one. Shame on you for that little piece of misinformation.
Please consider yourself suitably chastised.

Apologies! I do know this but for some reason I have 900 s on the brain? how queer..
Old 26-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
Didge

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
Apologies! I do know this but for some reason I have 900 s on the brain? how queer..
Apology excepted, and the worst part is, I knew that you knew it, but I trust it has nothing to do with queerness.
Here's hoping that you are not going to grow a thick 'manly' drooping moustache.

Anyway, back on track. Anyone who says that the modern Ducatis are unreliable, is talking out of their ignorant rear-ends, as everyone on here will confirm.

Last edited by Didge; 26-07-2005 at 10:23 PM..
Old 26-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #11
dlloyduk

Go for it! I thought the same, always wanted a monster I took my test for that reason, then read/heard the stories and started lookin at SV's etc.-not the same - No character. I bought a 620 Dark and up to now no problem's.
One more thing I stopped the other day for a coffee at a local bike stop, whilst sitting I glanced over a couple of times at the bike, amongst a long row of Jap things-as you do. Everyone stopped and took a second look at the Monster, 3 kids with mobile took pics and everyone bloke pointed it out to the kids! Would anyone have done that with an SV? Not.

Unless they were saying how crap it was and taking the P**s!
Old 26-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #12
A Yerbury

they are like bees knees.

It's true! occasionally I just stare and wonder at the perfection of it all..... mind you I also ramble about the countryside in the dead of night, armed only with my ninja turtle pyjamas, a wooden sword (broom handle actually) and an imaginary 10 foot Panda called Horace.

Alex.
Old 27-07-2005, 12:00 AM   #13
nina

Relieved ...... !!

Thanks all....

You've put my mind at rest.....

Ped: Thanks for the info on the dealers near Portsmouth. I visited CMW & they had a 600 for sale but i'm going to hold out for the 620ie. Am i also right in saying there's a dealer in Alton somewhere?

Thanks all again. I think the reliability comments people have said to me where probably based on 'old' bikes; unfortunately peeps have very long memories!!

Cheers again
Bev (i really can't wait to get hold of one....) :lol:
Old 27-07-2005, 06:31 AM   #14
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina
Ped: Thanks for the info on the dealers near Portsmouth. I visited CMW & they had a 600 for sale but i'm going to hold out for the 620ie. Am i also right in saying there's a dealer in Alton somewhere?
Doh, forgot about them - Snells are at Alton. Head for the train station, you'll find them no probs.

Good luck!

Ped
Old 27-07-2005, 07:16 AM   #15
paul620sie

I've have a 620Sie, purchased new 2 yrs ago. 3200miles later; zero reliability problems, zero warrantee claims. It sat idle over two winters in my garage (with the occasional short ride out) and I use an Optimate all year round to keep the battery charged. It starts every time I want to ride it. My mates also said I’d be on first names terms with the local Ducati dealer.

I also have a 3yr old VW Golf….. lets just say I got to know the service dept crew very well during the second year, the sunroof still leaks when I park facing downhill when its raining and don’t mention the cold start drivability problem… “they all do that sir”.

I’m on the verge of trading up from my 620 and I’m only thinking of Monster options…. S2R, 1000ie, S4R.