PDA

View Full Version : Rear Tyres

scrumpster
24-04-2005, 07:31 PM
I have been scouring the threads regarding rear tyres, it would seem my dunlop 160/60 zr17 is probably naff, plus I'm on the markers in some places, so what is the general concensus of opinion for a replacement, I have 5 days to sort it!!!? Looks like protyres gets the thumbs up? I am a thicko, learning slowly I'm afraid to say the least, so you lot and your opinions certainly are gratefully received by moi!! :rolleyes: Just looked at my chain too, it's starting to rust :(

CK & AK
24-04-2005, 07:36 PM
go to the weekender a day early - via Pedro's to have the 'once over' ;)

from where you are - try Micheldever tyres for a good price & ride in - ride out service.

If you are happy with how the Dunlops have been handling, then stay with what you know & like, the 207's are a good'n

C :)

scrumpster
24-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Cheers Ck and NB is coming over Wednesday to give the bike the once over in return I'm treating him to a chinese! and did I see that protyres are part of the Micheldever group....

My tyres are D204's a bit smaller than D207's? These are only tyres I know.......it being my first bike :confused:

CK & AK
24-04-2005, 08:47 PM
204's - dont know them - I used to have 205's on my 750ie, but these were discontinued. I now have something different on the thou
Ask Nicks advice as to what to get closest to your present ones, just dont let him talk you into 'RR' ones :lol: - you just need 'R' :)

scrumpster
24-04-2005, 08:58 PM
Ask Nicks advice as to what to get closest to your present ones, just dont let him talk you into 'RR' ones :lol: - you just need 'R' :)

C :)[/QUOTE]

:D I'll bear that in mind...............

Phoenix
24-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Pirelli Diablos

www.robsomracing.co.uk

Great tyres.

Tell him Phoenix sent you !

Pedro
24-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Pirelli Diablos every time, certainly over Dunlops.

Protyre in Fareham are part of Micheldever Tyres so don't waste your petrol. They do a Ride in/Ride out service too. They usually have plenty of stock. D204s are the cheaper end of the Dunlop range, best not to buy another set.....

Ped

scrumpster
24-04-2005, 10:08 PM
I'm beginning to think everything about my bike is cheap :(

clockworkorange
25-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Diablos. Better than 208's in the wet

Zimbo
25-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Diablos, definately. I've been hugely impressed with them on the track in the wet and dry, and on the road, good wear rates and not too pricy. And I use Protyre for all my tyres, their prices and service are excellent!

The Kevlar Kid
25-04-2005, 09:19 AM
I have been scouring the threads regarding rear tyres, it would seem my dunlop 160/60 zr17 is probably naff, plus I'm on the markers in some places, so what is the general concensus of opinion for a replacement, I have 5 days to sort it!!!?

Just thought I'd mention, If your only replacing your rear tyre (which is what you appear to be saying) it needs to match the front, otherwise you may end up with something that handles like a tipsy hippo..

A good clean and lube should sort your chain out if rust is all thats wrong with it.

Melnie Mouse
25-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi Sharon, I think dunlops 207's are great on a monnie, and like charlotte says only the r is needed on yours..

The pirelli diablo's are very good too, on both smaller and bigger engine bikes wider profile so whatever suits you...

I would'nt change your tyres unless you're unhappy, worse tyre I ever rode on was metzelers, mez3 i think they were.. bloody awful.
Enjoy the chinese sat night :) I love chinese too....

slob
25-04-2005, 02:44 PM
I just punctured my nearly spent BT-020 and decided to try a BT-010 rear. Just been out for 100 miles in the pouring rain, after scrubbing it in Sat/Sun. and it's great, really good traction, don't know how long it'll last of course.
I've got (stock..I think) D205 on the front... it seems to be lasting forever but will definitely try another BT-010 when it does go.
I'd be intersted to try a BT-014, for a halfway grip/wear comromise, but it seemed a little harder to find locally when I needed it at short notice.

Melnie Mouse
25-04-2005, 03:14 PM
I just punctured my nearly spent BT-020 and decided to try a BT-010 rear. Just been out for 100 miles in the pouring rain, after scrubbing it in Sat/Sun. and it's great, really good traction, don't know how long it'll last of course.
I've got (stock..I think) D205 on the front... it seems to be lasting forever but will definitely try another BT-010 when it does go.
I'd be intersted to try a BT-014, for a halfway grip/wear comromise, but it seemed a little harder to find locally when I needed it at short notice.

On my previous bikes i've had Bridgestone, and if I'm honest, I'd probably go for those again, I had loads more mileage on those, excellent dry or wet and for only about 10 quid more than average of others, i had 8 half thousand miles on the back one, and didn't need to change the front yet!

The Kevlar Kid
25-04-2005, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=slob]I'd be intersted to try a BT-014, for a halfway grip/wear comromise, [QUOTE]

I use BT014's - grips good, but I only get 2,500 miles out of a rear at £115 a time....

slob
25-04-2005, 04:27 PM
2,500 miles ....eek!!!! I'll let you know how long the BT-010 lasts, I've done 150 miles since Saturday lunchtime, so shouldn't have long to wait.

Zimbo
25-04-2005, 04:38 PM
I've used BT010s in the past and rate them highly, very confidence inspiring and just superb in the wet!! My second favourite tyre after the Diablo, and the Diablo only wins cos it's cheaper and lasts a little longer! Used to get 3000 - 3500 from the 010 rear.

Phoenix
25-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Looks like i'll be getting around 400 miles out of my Diablos :eek: :lol:

slob
25-04-2005, 05:46 PM
Looks like i'll be getting around 400 miles out of my Diablos :eek: :lol:
yeah but that's 'cos you'll be making the edges crispy, not wearing down the centreline.

Phoenix
25-04-2005, 05:49 PM
Its the funny shade of blue I don't like - it clashes with the red paintwork :D

CK & AK
25-04-2005, 06:14 PM
So Sharon, you put up this post - and lots of replies :)

You will get lots of conflicting advice about 'what tyre is best' - as has been shown on lots of other posts.
Some like 'this' tyre and others like 'that' tyre, so if you take all the advice given, you will be running 'dun-bridge-elli's' then :D

my advice is go for tyre(s) you can afford, and if you can get similar to ones you have been happy with, then get them :) and as has been said, get the same on the front - or if keeping the front make sure the rear is 'matching'

C - oh, and have you given your chain a good clean & lube yet? :confused: :)

JMo
25-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Charlotte (and Kevlar) are right, it's important not to mix brands and range models front and rear - the Dunlop 204 is a sport/touring tyre (with the emphasis on the touring) so give good mileage, but don't grip that well, especially in the cold/damp/wet - I had them on my 620 when I first got it, and I think you would get away with using a 205 on the rear as they are similar (the 205 is just the newer version I believe).

However, if your front is starting to wear too, I really would go for a new pair - and I would agree with all those who say Pirelli Diablo's, I've had those for the last 12000 miles - excellent - and your bike will feel so much better with fresh tyres... you should also get a better deal on the pair, infact if you find somewhere who still have Pirrelli Dragon (which the Diablo superceeds), they can be had for around £170 pair...

xxx

scrumpster
25-04-2005, 08:05 PM
So Sharon, you put up this post - and lots of replies :)

You will get lots of conflicting advice about 'what tyre is best' - as has been shown on lots of other posts.
Some like 'this' tyre and others like 'that' tyre, so if you take all the advice given, you will be running 'dun-bridge-elli's' then :D

my advice is go for tyre(s) you can afford, and if you can get similar to ones you have been happy with, then get them :) and as has been said, get the same on the front - or if keeping the front make sure the rear is 'matching'

C - oh, and have you given your chain a good clean & lube yet? :confused: :)

I ask protyre about dunbridgellis, but no joy for some reason. OK a D207 fitted by protyre £94 inclusive, same by ATS £136 :eek: Also have a mate in the trade who is hoping to get it even cheaper as he wants a tyre for his monnie too, just waiting to hear!!! But cheers guys, had to go Dunlop to match newer front tyre!! ;)

scrumpster
25-04-2005, 08:10 PM
I would'nt change your tyres unless you're unhappy, worse tyre I ever rode on was metzelers, mez3 i think they were.. bloody awful.
Enjoy the chinese sat night :) I love chinese too....[/QUOTE]

Mel Saturday night I'll be in the bar at Arrow Mill with any luck, the chinese is Wednesday, after the workhorse has done his stuff!!! :) Actually it will be another lesson for me, learning about what is what! CK the chain is well lubed, I do that myself (maybe not good enough :confused: ), maybe time for a new one, will see what the oracle says :)

CK & AK
25-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Sharon - bit of elbow grease & a cloth to the sides of the chain will go a long way :lol:
Glad you have sorted out the tyre type tho :cool:

Duncan
25-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Having read all this tyre advice I have tried the following in 46,000 miles on a Monny.

It came new with Dunlop D205's the front lasted forever and the back got replaced by a Michelin macadam 100 which was fine even in combination with the Dunlop. Then had a Contiforce again in combination with the Dunlop and that was fine till it got worn and then being dual compound the bike would weave at speed.

Then fitted Bridgestone 020 rear and 010 front. That was fine and fitted another 020 rear. The 010 front wore quickly and eventually got flat spotted.
Then replaced the pair with Bridgestone 020 front and 020 back and if anything this worked better than having the softer 010 on the front. The 020 was also the latest profile from within the last year.
Replaced the rear before the winter with a part worn Bridgestone 002R race tyre and this was fine for a while but never really got warm enough to work till springtime then it all made sense but disappeared rapidly.

Just put an Avon Azaro on the back (got it very cheap) with the 020 Bridgestone still on the front and thats fine. Quite like the feel of the Avon so far but only about 400 miles on it so far.

So there you go. Done all the things you shouldnt but not had any serious problems. Every tyre is more capable than I am as a rider, it comes down to personal preference and how deep your pockets are.
And heres the line from the Avon rep a few years ago. 'For 90% of riders a sports touring tyre is perfectly adequate. For the 10% who do the odd track days or ride VERY hard then a sports tyre is recommended. We do not recommend race spec compounds for road use as you will never get the tyre up to temperature."

Pedro
25-04-2005, 09:28 PM
Sharon

don't use ATS for tyres in Fareham - they buy them from Protyre....

Ped

scrumpster
25-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Just wanted a comparison Ped, but thanks for the advice..... ;)

Zimbo
26-04-2005, 06:39 AM
you should also get a better deal on the pair, infact if you find somewhere who still have Pirrelli Dragon (which the Diablo superceeds), they can be had for around £170 pair...

I pay £160 a pair for Diablos from protyre, fitted to loose wheels. A specially negotiated deal I know, but they will discount if you push them.
Thats 120/70/17 and 170/60/17

Negotiating on diablos for Phoenix's Desmodue monster I got them down to £134 a pair, supplied loose!

Melnie Mouse
26-04-2005, 07:40 AM
I find tyres a very interesting subject, and I think it can be quite a personal thing... very interesting to see how other people think too - good thread! :D

Phoenix
26-04-2005, 07:53 AM
and I think it can be quite a personal thing...

You're not wrong there. For instance I won't have Bridgestones on my bike, it's the only tyre i;ve ever had a significant slide on yet there are many many people who swear by them.
Odd isn't it :)