UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Rear Tyres

Old 24-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #1
scrumpster

Rear Tyres

I have been scouring the threads regarding rear tyres, it would seem my dunlop 160/60 zr17 is probably naff, plus I'm on the markers in some places, so what is the general concensus of opinion for a replacement, I have 5 days to sort it!!!? Looks like protyres gets the thumbs up? I am a thicko, learning slowly I'm afraid to say the least, so you lot and your opinions certainly are gratefully received by moi!! Just looked at my chain too, it's starting to rust
Old 24-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #2
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
go to the weekender a day early - via Pedro's to have the 'once over'

from where you are - try Micheldever tyres for a good price & ride in - ride out service.

If you are happy with how the Dunlops have been handling, then stay with what you know & like, the 207's are a good'n

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
scrumpster

Cheers Ck and NB is coming over Wednesday to give the bike the once over in return I'm treating him to a chinese! and did I see that protyres are part of the Micheldever group....

My tyres are D204's a bit smaller than D207's? These are only tyres I know.......it being my first bike
Old 24-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

204's - dont know them - I used to have 205's on my 750ie, but these were discontinued. I now have something different on the thou
Ask Nicks advice as to what to get closest to your present ones, just dont let him talk you into 'RR' ones :lol: - you just need 'R'

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 08:58 PM   #5
scrumpster

Ask Nicks advice as to what to get closest to your present ones, just dont let him talk you into 'RR' ones :lol: - you just need 'R'

C [/QUOTE]

I'll bear that in mind...............
Old 24-04-2005, 09:35 PM   #6
Phoenix

Pirelli Diablos

www.robsomracing.co.uk

Great tyres.

Tell him Phoenix sent you !
Old 24-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #7
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Pirelli Diablos every time, certainly over Dunlops.

Protyre in Fareham are part of Micheldever Tyres so don't waste your petrol. They do a Ride in/Ride out service too. They usually have plenty of stock. D204s are the cheaper end of the Dunlop range, best not to buy another set.....

Ped
Old 24-04-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
scrumpster

I'm beginning to think everything about my bike is cheap
Old 25-04-2005, 12:11 AM   #9
clockworkorange

Diablos. Better than 208's in the wet
Old 25-04-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Diablos, definately. I've been hugely impressed with them on the track in the wet and dry, and on the road, good wear rates and not too pricy. And I use Protyre for all my tyres, their prices and service are excellent!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 09:19 AM   #11
The Kevlar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumpster
I have been scouring the threads regarding rear tyres, it would seem my dunlop 160/60 zr17 is probably naff, plus I'm on the markers in some places, so what is the general concensus of opinion for a replacement, I have 5 days to sort it!!!?
Just thought I'd mention, If your only replacing your rear tyre (which is what you appear to be saying) it needs to match the front, otherwise you may end up with something that handles like a tipsy hippo..

A good clean and lube should sort your chain out if rust is all thats wrong with it.
Old 25-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #12
Melnie Mouse

Hi Sharon, I think dunlops 207's are great on a monnie, and like charlotte says only the r is needed on yours..

The pirelli diablo's are very good too, on both smaller and bigger engine bikes wider profile so whatever suits you...

I would'nt change your tyres unless you're unhappy, worse tyre I ever rode on was metzelers, mez3 i think they were.. bloody awful.
Enjoy the chinese sat night I love chinese too....
Old 25-04-2005, 02:44 PM   #13
slob

I just punctured my nearly spent BT-020 and decided to try a BT-010 rear. Just been out for 100 miles in the pouring rain, after scrubbing it in Sat/Sun. and it's great, really good traction, don't know how long it'll last of course.
I've got (stock..I think) D205 on the front... it seems to be lasting forever but will definitely try another BT-010 when it does go.
I'd be intersted to try a BT-014, for a halfway grip/wear comromise, but it seemed a little harder to find locally when I needed it at short notice.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #14
Melnie Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
I just punctured my nearly spent BT-020 and decided to try a BT-010 rear. Just been out for 100 miles in the pouring rain, after scrubbing it in Sat/Sun. and it's great, really good traction, don't know how long it'll last of course.
I've got (stock..I think) D205 on the front... it seems to be lasting forever but will definitely try another BT-010 when it does go.
I'd be intersted to try a BT-014, for a halfway grip/wear comromise, but it seemed a little harder to find locally when I needed it at short notice.
On my previous bikes i've had Bridgestone, and if I'm honest, I'd probably go for those again, I had loads more mileage on those, excellent dry or wet and for only about 10 quid more than average of others, i had 8 half thousand miles on the back one, and didn't need to change the front yet!
Old 25-04-2005, 04:02 PM   #15
The Kevlar Kid

[QUOTE=slob]I'd be intersted to try a BT-014, for a halfway grip/wear comromise, [QUOTE]

I use BT014's - grips good, but I only get 2,500 miles out of a rear at £115 a time....