PDA

View Full Version : Weekender - Can we all start praying ?

logyk
20-04-2005, 01:05 PM
Just checked on Metcheck and there is 30mm of rain predicted for Friday 29th with more due on Sunday !!!!!

What a country we live in :mad:

Mand
20-04-2005, 01:44 PM
They are lying like cheap rugs?

They said it was going to be pants on Sunday and it turned out to be a beautiful day.

CK & AK
20-04-2005, 02:11 PM
It sure cant be wetter than last year?
Friday ride up from home- sodden :(
Sat rideouts - sodden :( but dries out late afternoon:)
Sun, forecast wet but sun out instead :cool:
Mon, ride home in wet, again :(

C

MilesB
20-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Just checked on Metcheck and there is 30mm of rain predicted for Friday 29th with more due on Sunday !!!!!

What a country we live in :mad:

That's the forecast at over one week out, and at this time of year the algorithms they use can't cope with April Showers.

Check the forcast regularly and a guaruntee it will change - whether for the better I can't say - but that is the nature of forecasting... it becomes more accurate the closer you are to the event.

For example, when I planned a rideout for last weekend, the long range forecast was for 13mm (1/2 inch) of rain, but by the the day before they were forecasting dry with occasional light showers (as were the BBC)... result - Wall to wall SUNSHINE :)

Don't worry yet ;)

logyk
20-04-2005, 04:31 PM
That's the forecast at over one week out, and at this time of year the algorithms they use can't cope with April Showers.

Check the forcast regularly and a guaruntee it will change - whether for the better I can't say - but that is the nature of forecasting... it becomes more accurate the closer you are to the event.

For example, when I planned a rideout for last weekend, the long range forecast was for 13mm (1/2 inch) of rain, but by the the day before they were forecasting dry with occasional light showers (as were the BBC)... result - Wall to wall SUNSHINE :)

Don't worry yet ;)

I hope you prove to be right to be more optimistic Miles :cool:

gary tompkins
20-04-2005, 07:01 PM
It sure cant be wetter than last year?
C

AAAAAAH! I don't beleive you just typed that out loud :eek: :eek: :eek:

Anyone know someone with a second-hand jet ski for sale? :rolleyes:

MilesB
26-04-2005, 09:24 AM
Quote from Metcheck...

Blank Holiday
Added [Monday April 25 2005 : 10:19:46 PM]

As we approach the UK Bank Holiday, all eyes are on the models and whether a BBQ is on the cards for what is traditionally one of the wettest Bank Holiday weekends of the year.

We're afraid that this year will be no exception, with rain, mild sunny spells and showers affecting all areas at some point.

At present detail is really tricky as models are struggling with many aspects of the upper trough currently out to the West of the UK.

At present, Saturday looks wet for Western areas with a band of heavy rain pushing in across all areas. Sunday sees the rain in the North, however with much of the UK in the warm sector of the system temperatures could well be respectable where the sunshine decides to make an appearance, although thunderstorms are considered high risk in the South. Monday comes up with a simple sunshine and showers for many areas, however once again these showers will be heavy in the South and West. So, not a clear cut picture, but hey, this is the UK.

...see, they admit they cant be too accurate.

Miles

Dark-Jon
26-04-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm just keeping an eye on this...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/lib/includes/fsssi/city/birmingham.html

Birmingham is the closest town/city I can find to the Arrow Mill on the Met Office website. Hopefully most of the cruddy weather will blow itself out before the weekend :D

DJ

(fingers crossed...)

CK & AK
26-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Worcs 7 day:

http://www.metcheck.com/7dayforecast.asp?lat=52&lon=-2&locationID=70

Warwickshire 7 day forecast:

http://www.metcheck.com/7dayforecast.asp?lat=53&lon=-3&locationID=47

C :)

Dark-Jon
26-04-2005, 09:45 AM
show off :p

well this is the BBC one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1580

isn't it great how NONE of them say the same thing :confused:

DJ

Pedro
26-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Have to say I don'y hold much stock in what Metcheck has to say - not deperately accurate when I've used before.

Met Office is quite good and also use www.weather.co.uk

I'm off home tonight to try to find my waterproofs - I've flipping moved since I last used and have no idea.....

Ped

Mand
26-04-2005, 12:21 PM
The Weather Will Be Lovely!!

gary tompkins
26-04-2005, 12:29 PM
It'll be a small miracle if we don't need the waterproofs at some stage. Could be (going on forecasts) a repeat of last years weather on the Saturday, but as we'll be heading into Wiltshire for the mini-moto, it's anyones bet what's in store that day weather-wise.

I'm just praying for a half decent (dry) day for the Sunday, and will make the best of what the rest of the weekend has to offer :rolleyes:

Glass is half full and fingers etc crossed at the moment ;)

MilesB
26-04-2005, 12:40 PM
As long as the run up is dry - and I can get the tent up, then I'll be happy.

I'm not looking forward to the prospect of having to share a tent with a load of wet biking gear :(

Bob - can we book your room as a drying room??? :rolleyes: ;)

queen_gpants
26-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Boy am I glad I bought that Hein Gericke all weather 2 piece suit, 100% waterproof, wind proof and thermal lined too....

I'm off to Tescos later to buy Radar an extra large roll of black bin bags and sun some sun lotion, I am trying to be optimistic! :lol:

MilesB
27-04-2005, 07:48 AM
...of Little Faith

Just checked the forecast (as of Wednesday morning) on both Metcheck and the BBC:
Friday - Dry and warm :)
Saturday - Dry and Warmer :)
Sunday - Dry and Hot :D
Monday - Deteriorating.... but WHO CARES ;)

OK there is still a risk of rain showers - but this is the UK, so when is that not true :rolleyes: .

Banshee
27-04-2005, 11:11 AM
PACK THE SUN GLASSES :cool:

MilesB
27-04-2005, 12:10 PM
[Just checked the forecast (as of Wednesday morning) on both Metcheck and the BBC:
Friday - Dry and warm :)
Saturday - Dry and Warmer :)
Sunday - Dry and Hot :D
Monday - Deteriorating.... but WHO CARES ;)

OK there is still a risk of rain showers - but this is the UK, so when is that not true :rolleyes: .
Just checked the forecast again (Weds pm) - and now its looking damper :(

Forecasting at this time of year seems to be a bit like nailing fog to a wall :eek:
Let's face it - we're all likely to get wet at some point or other...

At least we are all 'real' riders - None of this DRY MILAGE ONLY plastic crotch rocket brigade :D :D

Miles

Banshee
27-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Just checked the forecast again (Weds pm) - and now its looking damper :(

Forecasting at this time of year seems to be a bit like nailing fog to a wall :eek:
Let's face it - we're all likely to get wet at some point or other...

At least we are all 'real' riders - None of this DRY MILAGE ONLY plastic crotch rocket brigade :D :D

Miles

And Mand. :rolleyes:

Kev Bunney
27-04-2005, 12:31 PM
At least we are all 'real' riders - None of this DRY MILAGE ONLY plastic crotch rocket brigade

Speak for your self mate !!!!

Mand
27-04-2005, 12:45 PM
And Mand. :rolleyes:

and what is that suppose to mean Banshee? :confused:

gary tompkins
27-04-2005, 06:36 PM
Mand,

I could be wrong but it looked like a dig to me?

Seconds away - round one... Ding! :twisted:

Oh... nice pictures of you and the gang in UBG by the way :cool:

Mand
28-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Mand,

It does doesn't it? Perhaps I should pack my knuckle dusters :twisted:

Boon
28-04-2005, 01:13 PM
Mand,

Well I will bet on mand !! Sorry banshee lol :lol:

logyk
28-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Don't anyone shout yet ..........but the sun has just started to peek through here....just as the forecast predicted.

It could be a warm one this weekend :)

MilesB
29-04-2005, 07:46 AM
:D :bunny: THE SUN IS SHINING - EVERYWHERE :bunny: :D

Great - thats lightweight riding gear (and waterproofs ;) )

See you all there...

logyk
29-04-2005, 08:07 AM
The Power of Prayer !!!!!!!!! :cool:

See you all there....ride safely.

gary tompkins
29-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Meeting Miles, Susan & Bob near the M25 at Dartford in around 40 mins, for the ride up to the Mill. Sweated my cobblers off fettling & cleaning the monster in the sunshine this morning. Hope we get more of the same weather-wise.

See you all in the bar for a bevvy in a few hours time ;) :burnout:

MilesB
02-05-2005, 07:18 PM
What a weekend :)

Friday ride up - warm and sunny, got there dry and the tent up. Rained overnight, and a bit soggy first thing Saturday. Saturday pm wall to wall Sunshine :D
Saturday night - thunderstorm :eek: Being in the tent we knew about the rain, but the lightning was going off like a strobe light...
Sunday - bright, dry and hot all day, as was the ride home today.

Perfect :cool: