PDA

View Full Version : Sil Motor Sleeves

Richard_S
05-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Id like to get my ali sils resleeved. does anyone know if they do these kits and if so where I can get one. Idea of cost too if you know?

I had planned to get them painted but seems that this is not only an expensive one (never been too hot with paint myself) but even if the paint withstands the heat and doesn’t crack chances are some pillion muppet will! I am looking for a permanent and durable solution!

I've had a chat with extreme in Crawley and they are "looking into it" for me.

ta

A Yerbury
05-02-2005, 01:08 PM
this shout goes out to tha "extreme" crew in crawley. you could pop the rivets, take the brushed ally off and get em chromed? flog em, then get some carbon ones just like mine. They are very light, a doddle to clean, dont get at all hot and you will then be a step closer to achieving true "Yerburyness" -many have tried and failed. Apart from that I dunno as they say on thursday.

gary tompkins
05-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Another option would be to get the sleeves cleaned up and anodised? Even the best high temp. paint finish would fall off eventually and look pants IMO.

A Yerbury
05-02-2005, 01:37 PM
I suppose they could be anodised black?

gary tompkins
05-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Any colour you like within reason - although I think Pink might result in the bad taste gestapo needing a little chat? :eek:

A Yerbury
05-02-2005, 01:43 PM
is an anodised finish strong enough for stone chips and the like?

Richard_S
05-02-2005, 01:52 PM
thanks chaps,

Im on a bit of a budget and thought that resleeving would be most economical. kits are usually 40/50 squid no? painting is out, anodising is an option but it must be costly?? dont really want to lash out on a new set but as you are aware mr Y tis my only imperfection.

whilst I am bitching about the price of things I would like to point out that I have just been robbed. Mr Patel has just pulled my pants down and demanded 75 pence for a can of cherry pop. Obviously it is now in his rectum.

Still battling with the other gary - employing an expert later this afternoon to kick this moron into touch! Thanks for your help with it.

gary tompkins
05-02-2005, 02:02 PM
There are different grades of anodising - Sulphuric, Chromic & Hard. Even soft/thin Chromic anodising is pretty good and should still be better than normal spray paint. Most decorative stuff is Sulphuric anodised and coloured with dyes, but Hard anodising is best as it penetrates deeper - pretty bulletproof TBH.

The problem with painting ally is that you need to etch prime or pre-treat the surface (anodise/alucrome) to prevent oxidisation and give a good key. Otherwise the paint will just lift off as soon as it gets chipped, and the air gets to the metal underneath.

Powder coating is another good finish, but I doubt it would withstand the heat of a hot exhaust can?

A Yerbury
05-02-2005, 02:19 PM
cest vrai, but the tank protector s a bit....y know....TBH I've never heard of sleeves for these going as kits, and given the hassle of undoing the rivets -easy to balls up- plus the fact that the anodising would cost more than 50 -again I guess but I am rarely wrong- its perhaps not worth it. However polishing them up to a glassy buff wouldnt cost that much and is very "doable"-yeuch. 75p!? Lidl over here do french plonk for 60p and its rather nice....bloody rip of Britain.
AY.
ps.Beard currently looking tip top, it's as if grafted fresh from the chops of Sir F Drake. and who is this other Gareth chappie?

Albie
05-02-2005, 04:21 PM
I have seen ads that you can buy the sleeves in carbon if you ding your originals.Take a look in MCN ads and internet.I know a couple of years ago they advertised a company that was going to AllyPally bike show. :D

DesmoDog
05-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Richard, I've polshed up the Remus on mine and they look rather swish. Was pretty easy too. If you do decide to get them anodised I would not risk undoing the rivets myself. Take it somewhere where they will do all that for you. It's not going to be cheap, but exhausts never are. Alex we are in need of Absinthe in military quantities, how fast can you get a tanker full of the pre-1900's recipe up to Newcastle?

Richard_S
05-02-2005, 04:38 PM
given my recent difficulty with even the simpliest of hand eye co-ordinataion tasks whatever I decide on will be outsourced to a capable person.

polish sounds good but the problem is one can is scratched pretty bad and not sure how effective it would be in concealing the offending monkey mess. the idea of all of this is get me back to cosmetic splendor - needs to be durable, cheap like the budgie and spangly!

Albie
05-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Is it too scratched for wet n dry paper and wd40 and then solvol autosol to finish.
My scorpion cans were scratched and had a gouge butpolished out with wet paper of various courseness.Choice of finish is yours whether to buff shine or not or leave matt.

Richard_S
05-02-2005, 05:04 PM
tried that and just made it worse :(

A Yerbury
05-02-2005, 05:47 PM
he did!! brother Nick aka cosmicsimian is planning on getting some scratches polished out, deep ish buggers n all. If I were you metal mickey I would get me self down to a polishing chappie, hold head high, throw some florins down....and demand "yes? and how much?" those scratches are not deep down and dirty, I think they will polish out and match your glossy character, lets be honest those sils are a bit matt n grey? get a buffin.

Richard_S
05-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. In the true British fashion I will sleep on it.

I’ve been deeper and dirtier in my old age but I’m now in search of the sweet, supple, untouched and immaculate surface of yesteryear. The classic look will always reign in the eyes of the telekinetic and besides one should never forget their roots.

Just bought some tix for the philharmonic , bout time i treated the old wonky dude who masquerades as my father. It could be sorcerous and wizardly too which will help with my excavation into the basement.

Oh and just so you know today represents my 50th illustration. Chocolate brownie anyone?

"Fate shows its hand in the opening and closing works. Lenau's Don Juan was the basis for Richard Strauss' first great masterpiece – a young man's version of the roguish, swaggering womaniser, who eventually meets his come-uppance. Tchaikovsky's fate-filled Fourth Symphony, with its recurrent brass blast of destiny, was written after his disastrous marriage as he sought to recover his emotional equilibrium". Nice, I'll take some toast with that.

gary tompkins
05-02-2005, 06:50 PM
given my recent difficulty with even the simpliest of hand eye co-ordinataion tasks whatever I decide on will be outsourced to a capable person.

polish sounds good but the problem is one can is scratched pretty bad and not sure how effective it would be in concealing the offending monkey mess. the idea of all of this is get me back to cosmetic splendor - needs to be durable, cheap like the budgie and spangly!

I know it might sound like a bodge, but if the cans are not handed (sleeve- wise) you could de-rivet them and re-assemble with the sleeves swapped over. That way the offending scratches could end up hidden from view on the inside, and would cost sod all?

Just a thought :D

slob
05-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I know it might sound like a bodge, but if the cans are not handed (sleeve- wise) you could de-rivet them and re-assemble with the sleeves swapped over. That way the offending scratches could end up hidden from view on the inside, and would cost sod all?

Just a thought :D

Richard, if you're worried about your dexterity, I'd be happy to give you a hand. I've got a drill and a pop-riveter and I've rebuilt an end-can before.

Richard_S
06-02-2005, 08:22 AM
gary I like the way you think. however being the fussy fastidious type it would bother me at night and I would end up sleeping in a duvet of cold sweat. perfection is paramount as is keeping the bastion of resolve fully inflated. sorted me other pipe late last night and blue liquid now runs through like a hot knife through butter. It has given me some new found hope.

physical sleight has never been my talent rob and help would be appreciated once i have an idea of the crack :)

gary tompkins
06-02-2005, 12:39 PM
sorted me other pipe late last night and blue liquid now runs through like a hot knife through butter. It has given me some new found hope. :)

So just what was the problem with the Scottoiler in the end?

Richard_S
06-02-2005, 01:29 PM
simply put a lack of faith.

took the seat off last night and shazam it was flowin'

hours of my week lost and as if to tease it sorted itself.

the power of conviction should never be forgotten. I was heard jumping for joy and the feline next door was heard meowing. The circle of life continues ;)

A Yerbury
06-02-2005, 03:47 PM
my brake lights have taken turns at winding up the Yerbs for most of today, a combination of wd40, white voodoo, nightshade and a period of ignoring seem to have rectified the problem/problems, as the man says "you gotta have faith" If only l'amour were such an animal. On a lighter note I went for a driving test today, having avoided 4 wheels thus far. I am now sultan of 3rd gear and my three point turn has been cast in bronze as an example for future generations, and as a 3D expression of perfection, second only to the young Uma Thurmans bosom.
I am A Yerbury, hear me scream.

Richard_S
06-02-2005, 06:37 PM
On balance I cannot compete with such a days cataclysmic progress. I left the house a mere 10 minutes ago to purchase some desert and confectionary where by I stumbled upon a rabble of wall dwellers. They were actually very polite and after exchanging evening wishes we went our own separate ways. Perhaps there is hope yet. I now plan to get miss babyliss out for some good old-fashioned toe therapy.

hermit the toe licker applauds the outwardly aligned knife throwing lyricist. Nice one Cyril, cream cakes waiting for you once you achieve golden certification. I can vouch for the pleasure afforded by reverse doughnuts on the queen’s walk, Windsor, Berkshire.